Situation w/ Spikes, Bills, & Fins | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Situation w/ Spikes, Bills, & Fins

funkphenomenon2

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Spikes to me is undoubtebly the best free agent out there, restricted or unrestricted. My question is how does our salary cap situation look like. My understanding is that if Zach Thomas restructres his contract we are in great shape, but as of now, how does it fare?

The acquisition of Thompson is a great move for us because it fills one of our voids, but to be extremely excited about someone who isn't as big an impact player as some other people out there isn't something I'm personally too excited about. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the Fins and you have to keep a positive mentality on things but you also have to be realistic. It is definitely addressing one of our needs and making our team better but if the opportunity is there to do more, why not do it.

It's not like we are in cap hell cause we have the Gandy money left over. Granted, I don't know the specifics of our cap situation but I don't see why we don't have enough money for Spikes.

Buffalo is offering roughly what we planned to offer to Gandy. And if we would have signed Gandy, does that mean that we wouldn't have had any money to sign other players? I don't think management is that naive to follow thru w/ that. So with that in mind... why not throw an offer sheet Takeo's way? I don't know if him signing the offer sheet with Buffalo means he can't join another team but if he can, why not do it. It IS a possibility if the Bengals match the offer, which I don't see why they wouldn't.

Yes we have other positions that need to be addressed such as LT and WR but there are a lot of options out there and a lot of different ways we can address those needs. I'm worried that we get a Barry Gardner and think that he will be a special teams upgrade and wind up being our answer at the outside linebacker position.

Not only does Spikes bring an instant talent increase to your team but an emotional and leadership upgrade which constitute the intangibles that ANY championship team needs. Just look at Tampa... their attitude was everything. Sapp, Lynch, Brooks... they set the pace for the rest of the team. I personally think that Takeo would be the spark plug for this Dolphins team. The key to shutting down those teams when they would creep back into the games late in the 2nd half and pull out wins against us last year. Granted, a lot of things happened, stuff you can't predict, such as the Fiedler injury and whatnot, but think about it. It's a win-win situation.

You get a player of the caliber of a Spikes who's natural position is ML but can play OL, meaning that when Zach is done, that monster can take over the helm. So not only are you upgrading at a position needed, you are upgrading the team's mentality, increasing the energy and excitement of the team and the fans (much like Ricky did for us last year) AND you are eliminating one of our opponents... one of our AFC rivals a chance at upgrading and becoming a better team. Just my thoughts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Too late. He already signed the offer sheet from the Bills. What confuses me is why waste the transition tag on a player when you weren't planning on matching the offer on him......

We're currently 1.4 million under the cap and that's post Thompson signing. We had the money for Gandy but that was spent partly on Thompson. Zach needs to restructure and a couple of players (Rodgers, Perry and others) may need to be cut to get in a position to not only sign Gardner, draft picks, and veterans that are released come June. Spikes was too rich for us, much like Gandy, Hilliard, maybe even Colvin. Spikes would have been a great fit and I agree with the points you make. Even if we had the money seems like Spikes really liked the Bills. He didn't even do the full tour before he signed the offer sheet. Cincy won't match, they've already signed Hardy.

I would be satisfied if we were able to secure Colvin or Peterson by the time free agency is over. I know the percentage of that actually happening is slim to none but that is just my thought. The more holes we fill before the draft the better, That way in the draft we can take the best available tlaent as opposed to stretching and paying what would be normally a 3rd round guy 2nd round money just because he helped "fill a need."

Isn't is curious that Colvin's name has not even been mentioned, and he is still available, but a guy like Hardy has alreayd been signed?

Originally posted by Dajesus
Isn't is curious that Colvin's name has not even been mentioned, and he is still available, but a guy like Hardy has alreayd been signed?

Colvin's rumored to have a verbal agreement with the Lions.

If you guys really want a linebacker, I think mike peterson is the best one left. I would hate for him to go to Miami. It doesn't seem like miami is in the market for LBs though, at least they aren't actively pursuing any.

Originally posted by SoCalBillsFan
If you guys really want a linebacker, I think mike peterson is the best one left. I would hate for him to go to Miami. It doesn't seem like miami is in the market for LBs though, at least they aren't actively pursuing any.

i told people weeks ago, once rogers restructured, the need for a starting LB was not needed. people need to get this LB crap out of there head. Barry gardener will be signed and nothing more. we need a LT, another WR and a backup qb, and possibly another TE. we had the 3rd best defense in the league. all of our guys are back. that is just the deal right now. why switch anything on defense when we need to get some offense in key positions? i dont understand peoples thinking here on the LB situation!!!:eek:
oh and a PR/KR

If the Bengals franchised Spikes, it only would've cost them $750,000 more. They would've gotten a 1st rd. pick too. Duh!

Colvin is more DE than OLB when you look at him, thats why he was considering changing to DE. Bates never blitzs so he would be useless to us.

yea mouldsrocks who took his time to draw faces on RW and sift throw archaic posts decided to bring this one back up....

MOULDSROCKS = Loser

matt

Back
Top Bottom