Slimm, Ck And J-off-her-doll, 2019 Qb's Versus 2020 Qb's | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slimm, Ck And J-off-her-doll, 2019 Qb's Versus 2020 Qb's

Cheetah

Active Roster
Reaction score
A lot has been said but could you guys rate your QB's in order from these two years.

Tua
Haskins
Murray
Fromm
Lock
Herbert

Just interested on how much of a gap there is with these guys. I would think if the cost is not prohibitive I would get my guy now if all things being equal. But interested in your take. Just rate them 1-6, that would be awesome.

With another year for the 2020 guys, there's a lot of projection, and some of this will change:

Top 10 (worth #1 pick)

1. Murray
1a. Tua

1st RD

3. Haskins
4. Fromm
5. Herbert
6. Love

3rd RD

7. Grier
8. Lock

Putting Herbert and Love in the 1st, but Herbert needs to show improvement from 2018, and Love needs to be even better in 2019 to solidify those spots. Before the 2018 season, Herbert looked like someone with a real shot at playing his way into a Top 10 grade, and he looked like a 3rd RD in 2018, so I'm splitting the difference. Of the 1st RD QB's, I think Love has the highest ceiling.

There are lots of things I dislike about Grier, but he's better than Lock by a wide enough margin that I have to rank him ahead.

This post wasn't for me but I'll try anyway. Also some other names for context.

Top 3:
Tua
Mayfield
Murray - Unlike any other prospect. He possesses the most elite skills in terms of accuracy and athleticism. Usually the top qb prospect is a little bit one-dimensional but he's both. About as accurate as Tua and Mayfield and as athletic as Griffin and Jackson. Best prospect overall if only he was around 6'2".
Newton
Luck

Borderline 1st:
Fromm

2nd:
Stick
Herbert

3rd:
Haskins
Lock

There are lots of things I dislike about Grier, but he's better than Lock by a wide enough margin that I have to rank him ahead.
Grier is my wild card in that I'm not sure what round to put him in (maybe bottom 2 - 4). It wouldn't surprise me if he outperforms everyone except Murray because he's a natural. Very smooth game ever since his Florida days.

Also, I noticed a while back Haskins started moving a little bit more compared to earlier games but it didn't convince me. So I watched some of his games yesterday. He moves a little bit better than I thought. His athleticism is not worse than Brady's.

I'd pretty much defer to j-off's list here as he and I mostly agree on these guys.

I think Kyler Murray and Tua Tagovailoa are sort of a class unto their own. The others come after.

Where Dwayne Haskins sits relative to guys like Justin Herbert, Jake Fromm, and Jordan Love honestly remains to be seen. We have to grade Dwayne Haskins right now. We don't have to grade the others right now. I'd probably take Fromm and Love above Haskins personally, but I would have to think on the Herbert/Haskins question a little more.

Jordan Love versus Justin Herbert is going to be an interesting juxtaposition because in both cases you're looking at a player that has great physical characteristics and throwing skills, good athleticism to go with everything, but also you see a player sort of needing to take a step up.

Jordan Love will have a damn TOUGH time doing that though. He starts off with EVERY disadvantage. His top wide receiver Ron'Quavion Tarver? Gone. His #2 and #3 receivers Jalen Greene and Aaren Vaughns? Also gone. His top tight end the junior Dax Raymond? Also gone. His top running back Darwin Thompson, who ran for 1044 yards and 14 TDs and was also the team's 4th-leading receiver with 23 catches for 351 yards and 2 TDs? Gone. The offense-minded head coach Matt Wells? Gone. The offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach with a hot reputation David Yost? Gone. Hell, if I am not mistaken, FOUR of the five offensive linemen who started last year...are GONE.

Who in the hell has lost more than Jordan Love?

But with adversity comes opportunity. Justin Herbert has everything going for him in his decision to return to Oregon and use the extra year to try and show that he's a star NFL quarterback. Jordan Love has every disadvantage. But what happens if Jordan Love CONTINUES to beat Justin Herbert on passing efficiency, as he did in 2018?

I've got Love ahead of Herbert and I'm not going to apologize for it. And if those two battle to a duel in 2019 then I feel like that will be even more justified based on what Love has lost this off season.

I have a feeling Justin Fields is going to be way up on that list after a year of coaching from Ryan Day. Plus some Random dudes are going to jump into the mix as they always do.

Justin Fields is not draft eligible in 2020, is he?

Every year there's a guy up top you wouldn't have necessarily predicted a year before hand. Guys like Carson Wentz, Baker Mayfield, Kyler Murray. I'm a skeptic about Jacob Eason being that guy.

I have a hard time believing Justin Fields is somehow eligible in 2020...but based on what I've seen I fully believe he'll be a top player when he is.

With another year for the 2020 guys, there's a lot of projection, and some of this will change:

Top 10 (worth #1 pick)

1. Murray
1a. Tua

1st RD

3. Haskins
4. Fromm
5. Herbert
6. Love

3rd RD

7. Grier
8. Lock

Putting Herbert and Love in the 1st, but Herbert needs to show improvement from 2018, and Love needs to be even better in 2019 to solidify those spots. Before the 2018 season, Herbert looked like someone with a real shot at playing his way into a Top 10 grade, and he looked like a 3rd RD in 2018, so I'm splitting the difference. Of the 1st RD QB's, I think Love has the highest ceiling.

This is pretty close to how I'd rank them off the top of my head. Admittedly, I haven't studied the 2020 group but I've seen them play. Herbert, IMO, really needs to step up his game. For now, I'd also have him below Haskins. Interesting that you list Lock and Grier as 3rd rounders. I assume you wouldn't take Lock at #13 if he falls there?

Bird, you've been high on Tate Martell in the past. I remember you even saying if Haskins doesn't come out this year, Urban Meyer (before he retired) might have benched Dwayne for Martell.

How much of a chance do you think he has of being that guy that comes out of nowhere in 2019 and becomes a top level prospect? Assuming his eligibility is granted.

I've seen Tate's plays from 2018 but there's only so much you can known based on that because there's so little there. From what I've seen, I could personally see why Haskins would continue to get the start, as he gets the football out within the construct of the offense more quickly than Martell, but I could also see how you could make the argument that Martell excels in exactly the areas where Haskins is deficient. I know Martell has at least a comparable arm to Haskins if not better.

What I don't know is anything about Martell off the field, what drives him, what kind of presence is he, etc. I trust your judgment here so I was wondering what you think of all that.

Bird, you've been high on Tate Martell in the past. I remember you even saying if Haskins doesn't come out this year, Urban Meyer (before he retired) might have benched Dwayne for Martell.

How much of a chance do you think he has of being that guy that comes out of nowhere in 2019 and becomes a top level prospect? Assuming his eligibility is granted.

I've seen Tate's plays from 2018 but there's only so much you can known based on that because there's so little there. From what I've seen, I could personally see why Haskins would continue to get the start, as he gets the football out within the construct of the offense more quickly than Martell, but I could also see how you could make the argument that Martell excels in exactly the areas where Haskins is deficient. I know Martell has at least a comparable arm to Haskins if not better.

What I don't know is anything about Martell off the field, what drives him, what kind of presence is he, etc. I trust your judgment here so I was wondering what you think of all that.

IDK, for as hyped as he was I was a bit disappointed. Character wise I thought he was really impressive for a young guy and he always said the right things to the media. Easily as competitive as Mayfield. Students and players LOVE Martel.

What puzzled me was how accurate he was when throwing off balance or on the run but then when he set his feet and had all day to throw he couldn’t hit anything. I don’t think this bothered Urban at all because in his offense Martell would probably get 100 yards rushing. I got the feeling it drove Ryan Day nuts. Day basically wouldn’t even let Tate compete. Day had Matt Baldwin ( future transfer portal guy) above Martell. Baldwin is a stud BTW, 3 star, and he’s giving Fields all he wants in Spring practice.
So I’m still a huge Martel fan and will watch every game, but something needs fixed. All these OSU transfer QB’s are really messing with my Saturday schedule. Now I’ve got to watch Ohio State, LSU, and hopefully Miami if Tate gets cleared.

Last edited:
IDK, for as hyped as he was I was a bit disappointed. Character wise I thought he was really impressive for a young guy and he always said the right things to the media. Easily as competitive as Mayfield. Students and players LOVE Martel.

What puzzled me was how accurate he was when throwing off balance or on the run but then when he set his feet and had all day to throw he couldn’t hit anything. I don’t think this bothered Urban at all because in his offense Martell would probably get 100 yards rushing. I got the feeling it drove Ryan Day nuts. Day basically wouldn’t even let Tate compete. Day had Matt Baldwin ( future transfer portal guy) above Martell. Baldwin is a stud BTW, 4 star, and he’s giving Fields all he wants in Spring practice.
So I’m still a huge Martel fan and will watch every game, but something needs fixed. All these OSU transfer QB’s are really messing with my Saturday schedule. Now I’ve got to watch Ohio State, LSU, and hopefully Miami if Tate gets cleared.
as a Miami fan i hope Martel is legit

Justin Fields is not draft eligible in 2020, is he?

Every year there's a guy up top you wouldn't have necessarily predicted a year before hand. Guys like Carson Wentz, Baker Mayfield, Kyler Murray. I'm a skeptic about Jacob Eason being that guy.

I have a hard time believing Justin Fields is somehow eligible in 2020...but based on what I've seen I fully believe he'll be a top player when he is.

Yeah that’s correct. I got my threads mixed up. I thought we were including 2021.

Back
Top Bottom