Slimm's 2015 Wide Receivers (Underclassmen) | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slimm's 2015 Wide Receivers (Underclassmen)

Sammy Watkins had the best season at WR a freshman has ever had. Then he ran into a little trouble off the field that derailed his sophomore year a little bit.

Julio was one of these "1 percenters" that I talk about. In terms of being a physical specimen, they don't get much better than what Julio was. He was a grown man coming out of high school. One of these kids that could've played in the NFL at 18 years old. But it was his work ethic and impeccable character that made him truly special. That's what the Falcons traded all those picks for. Not just his talent.

Amari Cooper isn't as explosive or physical as either. What makes him special is his attention to detail and ability to create separation with his route running. He sets DB's up. I don't think he's a top 10 pick because he's not quite as physically gifted as those two. He's more of a Reggie Wayne coming out of college.

1. Julio
2. Sammy Watkins
3. Amari Cooper

Agree with this post in it's entirety. 11'03" broad jump for Julio is flat out ridiculous. Nick Saban said it best describing Cooper "some WR's are good either at getting off press, or separating out of breaks. Cooper is special at both" I'm paraphrasing. But his skillset is what makes him special. He's a very good athlete but not a freak. I think he is still a true #1 WR at the next level. Should be a top 10 WR. I really like the Reggie Wayne comparison. Daniel Jeremiah compared him to Jordy Nelson. I don't see it.

Kevin White might be the best WR is this class. He is freakishly talented and athletic.

*apologies should be in Sr forum

Slimm, I've been debating whether or not to evaluate Dorial Green-Beckham. What do you think? Just with the increased scrutiny on domestic violence and the fact he could be suspended as soon as he gets into the league for his prior has me wondering if he will even be drafted.

cooper definitely more reggie wayne than jordy nelson...waynes a very good comparison...

Quinshad Davis is a really interesting player. Very smooth in-and-out of his breaks for a 6'4 player. In garbage time against VTech, he roasted Kyle Fuller on a double move last season. Haven't heard anyone talking about him, and he's having a quiet season, but if you can get him in the 2nd or 3rd, he's a guy who reminds me a bit of Jordy Nelson.

A guy I really like is William Fuller out of ND. Not big, not super fast, but he makes hard catches and gets yards after. Just a soph now though.

Even though, USC struggled pretty bad last night, I came away, again, impressed by Agholor. The way he snatches the ball out of the air and turns from catch to run reminds me of Landry. He does a nice job in areas you'd expect him to struggle (because of his size) - beating press and blocking. Looks like a 4.45 guy to me - plenty of burst. He's the kind of receiver that Tannehill will do well with - as he has with Landry.

As both an Auburn alum and Dolphins fan, Sammie Coates reminds me of Chris Chambers. Both would make incredible catches, but drop a ball that hit them right in the hands. Many of us Auburn fans hold our breath anytime a ball is thrown to Coates for fear that he will drop it. I think he would be the top WR in college if he had better hands, and a more accurate QB throwing to him this year. Although he had a great Iron Bowl, and only dropped 1 TD pass. Hands down, I would take D'haquille Williams over Sammie Coates. I think he is an absolute stud and doesn't typically drop the ball like Coates.

Yep. I believe the light came on for Green-Beckham last year. Flashed overwhelming dominance in big games and finally looked like the #1 overall recruit. Needs to turn those flashes into a little more consistency in 2014. He doesn't need to be dominant every game.. just consistent. The ability to be a dominant playmaker is there. He's learning how to work to earn his keep instead of relying on size, speed, and raw talent. He turned a corner last year in terms of effort in my opinion.

He's exactly what Tannehill needs.

Amari Cooper fundamentally has all the nuances of the Wide Receiver position down. Getting off press, closing the cushion, stacking defenders, setting up defenders at the break point, is really fluid in/out of breaks.. but one thing that has been really standing out to me right now is how good of a job he does coming downhill and working back to the Quarterback. That may be an overlooked attribute to some, but in the NFL that's the difference between a completion or incompletion, and an incompletion or interception. He's a very, very polished player.

I recently placed Sammie Coates #11 on my big board here in the draft forum. I think he compares to Calvin and Demaryius in a sense that he is an incredibly explosive athletic freak coming from a run first offense and needs some fine tuning in route running. I don't think Samme will be one of the best 5 WR's in the NFL like Calvin or Demaryius but that's just who he reminds me of from an athletic/scheme comparison. I think he will end up being a very good #2 WR. I would be shocked if he can't become a top 20 WR in the NFL. I just don't think he will develop into a "True #1" WR. But I think worst case scenario you're getting Mike Wallace type deep threat ability + great ability to play above the rim and high point the ball+ great YAC. So that warrants a 1st round grade for me.

I agree with you here. I think Coats has all the physical tools to become a receiver like the guys you mentioned and I love what he does with the ball in his hands. My concern is he doesn't seem to be a natural "hands" catcher of the ball. He let's the ball get to his body more times than not. When needed he does high point the ball well and seems to have strong hands going up in traffic but that ball seems to get to his body more than I would like to see.

I do think once he runs for scouts he will shoot up the boards and could be the third receiver picked. I think he will run a sub 4.4 and with that size people will love him.

I agree with you here. I think Coats has all the physical tools to become a receiver like the guys you mentioned and I love what he does with the ball in his hands. My concern is he doesn't seem to be a natural "hands" catcher of the ball. He let's the ball get to his body more times than not. When needed he does high point the ball well and seems to have strong hands going up in traffic but that ball seems to get to his body more than I would like to see.

I do think once he runs for scouts he will shoot up the boards and could be the third receiver picked. I think he will run a sub 4.4 and with that size people will love him.

agreed... his hands are a huge issue though, he does let it get into his body often, and even fights the ball to catch it with his hands. he also needs to learn how to run better routes... I think in th eNFL he is going to be a big play maker, but hit or miss. Martavius Bryant like maybe, in Pitt???

Back
Top Bottom