Slimm's 2017 Defensive Ends (Seniors) | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slimm's 2017 Defensive Ends (Seniors)

Taco looked like a man amongst boys against the Noles, although that o-line is as suspect as they come.

Well, say what you will about Roderick Johnson and I know Slimm doesn't like him, but the NFL are rating him well. At the worst we can at least not pretend that beating him like a drum is the same as beating a random Rutgers RT like a drum.

Like I said, I think the problem with making too much of the Orange Bowl for Charlton is that he was unblocked on most of the plays where he gets credited with a TFL or Sack. He had one TFL where he was even blocked. The big hit on the QB early in the game that hurt Francois....Charlton was totally unblocked. Nobody touched him. The center never slid the protection over to that side.

He got around R. Johnson twice later in the game, once for a sack and another for a hit on the QB. Both times Johnson never got out of his stance. Everybody else on the field was moving at the snap except Johnson. He's still just sitting there. Of course Charlton got around him, hell any of us would have. Everybody already knows I wouldn't touch Roderick Johnson. The NFL is wrong on this one too as usual. I'll bet anybody in the NFL whatever they want on that one.

I'm looking for things that are translatable to the NFL with Charlton, but most of those plays against Florida St. where he's untouched and unblocked don't translate to the NFL.

Again though, Charlton did his share of things where he forced the action. What most people don't realize is that most of the plays Charlton made that were translatable to the NFL weren't on the stat sheet. The sack and the couple of TFL's are nothing but a distraction in terms of evaluation.

There might have been a DE in the Orange Bowl that looked like a man amongst boys, but he was wearing #44 in garnet.

Taco would have to put up a Combine similar to Frank Clark for me to like him at 22. If you want a big frame, D. Wise should be available in the 5th or later. Neither looks like a guy who will threaten NFL OT's with explosive power or agility.

I don't see what makes Charlton a significantly better DE prospect than Ifeadi Odenigbo.

Kudos for sneaking Praise Martin-Oguike in at the end of the list.

Intriguing player. Measures and tests almost identically to an Elvis Dumervil, inasmuch as you'd look at the kid's numbers and say aside from the ten yard split and the bench data, not that impressive. Similar height, similar build, similar wing span and reach.

But he's built well in all the right places. Good lower half, bubble. His ten yard split at 1.60 seconds is a standout time even if his 4.88 final forty time is bad. The lower body strength and bubble give him the ability to plant a foot and explode, be it laterally or forward from a standing start. This is why he's able to get the outside shoulder of offensive linemen so consistently. He also uses his hands and gets leverage around the outside about as well as anyone you'll see in the draft, doing his best Cameron Wake impression with how low he gets.

His hands and feet are perfectly coordinated when it comes to dealing with blockers, getting through traffic. Very strong player with good outside shoulder ability, low pad level, lots of intelligence in his rush.

He tests like Elvis Dumervil but reminds me of James Harrison. He was a better pure pass rusher at Temple than Haason Reddick.

He can flat out play.

Originally I made a note out next to Oguike when I created this thread almost a year ago pointing out that he had forced more fumbles in his career than any other DE in my rankings. A trend that continued last year.

It's an important statistic to me because it illustrates what you just acknowledged in regards to how coordinated his hands and feet are when the moment of truth arrives.

What I particularly like about Derek Rivers is that in addition to being very athletic and all that, he's great at keeping his hands and elbows tucked within his and the blocker's frame. Not every player has the strength or coordination to do that. Maximizes his arm length, allows him to keep using his leg drive and to get outside of the block. Probably good in a speed to power setup at the next level.

I have been way too harsh on Takkarist McKinley.

He has some pretty special qualities.

You start to understand him better when you realize he's dealt with this shoulder injury for two years. His hand use developed under poor circumstances. On the bright side his feet and core strength became magical.

I have been way too harsh on Takkarist McKinley.

He has some pretty special qualities.

You start to understand him better when you realize he's dealt with this shoulder injury for two years. His hand use developed under poor circumstances. On the bright side his feet and core strength became magical.

I'd imagine he would do fairly well in the wide 9, question is are we willing to go through another pass rusher with shoulder injuries right out of the gate? I know work ethic wise, Tak and Dion Jordan are in completely different ends of the spectrum, but the injuries are similar.

I'd imagine he would do fairly well in the wide 9, question is are we willing to go through another pass rusher with shoulder injuries right out of the gate? I know work ethic wise, Tak and Dion Jordan are in completely different ends of the spectrum, but the injuries are similar.

I agree. After not just Dion Jordan but also DeVante Parker and to a certain extent even Laremy Tunsil, part of me wants a guy at 22 that can't be hurt with a chainsaw. Jordan came out with a shoulder injury. Parker came out with a botched foot surgery. Tunsil had a reputation for not being durable at Ole Miss. All of that has shown up in the pros.

But man. He's good. ON THE FIELD, he's not a Dion Jordan. I'm more certain about Takkarist's pass rush than I was Jordan's. And I'm more certain Takkarist can put his hand on the ground and be a real defensive end than I was Jordan. Off the field and in medical terms? I don't know. I can't say.

Back
Top Bottom