Slimm's 2017 Defensive Ends (Seniors) | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slimm's 2017 Defensive Ends (Seniors)

Daeshon Hall probably suffers more for being opposite Myles Garrett than he does benefit. Schematically you could see him benefiting but the fact nobody notices him or talks about him is a serious disservice to his talent and it's because people are so obsessed with Garrett whenever they pop on the aTm tape.

But I've been watching a bunch of DE/Edge guys back to back to back for an hour or so and he really stands out. I mean you have Garrett and then I feel like Carl Lawson is right up there. Then you have some bigger bodies you're going to take to be different kinds of defensive ends. But I think Hall kind of gets up in company with Lawson.

Seems like a lot of people are relatively low on D. Walker, and I appreciate that you have him right there with J. Allen. He shouldn't see the 2nd RD.

Seems like a lot of people are relatively low on D. Walker, and I appreciate that you have him right there with J. Allen. He shouldn't see the 2nd RD.

I believe Walker is just as disruptive and impressive of a player as Allen is. As similar as they seem, they're very different. Walker is more of a true edge rusher while Allen is more of an interior rusher. Allen can't dip-bend and run the arc the way Walker can....different levels of quickness. Walker doesn't have the power in his hands or inside technique of Allen. Allen obviously does a lot of 2-gapping.

Both equal in quality, but very different in terms of system fit. I think it depends entirely on what type of defensive front you employ as to which one you'll covet.

I believe Walker is just as disruptive and impressive of a player as Allen is. As similar as they seem, they're very different. Walker is more of a true edge rusher while Allen is more of an interior rusher. Allen can't dip-bend and run the arc the way Walker can....different levels of quickness. Walker doesn't have the power in his hands or inside technique of Allen. Allen obviously does a lot of 2-gapping.

Both equal in quality, but very different in terms of system fit. I think it depends entirely on what type of defensive front you employ as to which one you'll covet.

Spot on, as usual, Slimm. Walker does give OG's fits, though, when he lines up inside, and I love that versatility. I'd be happy with either in Miami. With Suh, though, Walker seems like the more natural fit.

After watching tonight's Fla/FSU game, I saw why you have DeMarcus Walker at #1 on your list Ted. That kid is a straight beast. He was eating the Gators OL up like it's the cool thing to do. I can honestly say that if we could find a way to get him and Gators DL Caleb Brantley on to our defense, I'd be quite fine with that.

Ifeadi Odenigbo looks like a riser. He's improved a lot, and he led the Big 10 in sacks in 2016 (with 10). Great frame and tools. I'd guess he lands in the 2nd or 3rd RD, but this draft is deeper than normal at DE/Edge, so he could last longer.

You seem really down on Taco Charlton. Any reason?

Not really. I think he's probably starter caliber, although I don't believe he's going to be anything special at the next level in terms of sack potential. I don't think he's a double digit sack guy in the NFL.

I suppose he was never really prepared to play most of his career, but finally came on and had a solid last year and half or so. The best thing Charlton has going for him is the immense frame, height and long arms. I really like his long arms and the way he uses 'em to keep a tremendous amount of hip gap between himself and the offensive lineman he's engaged with. I'm just still waiting on him to show me something against a legitimate tackle. Most of his sacks and TFL's he's either unblocked, or against very poor offensive lines and tackles who I wouldn't consider drafting.

He can't bend and dip to run the arc, gets stalemated time and time again when he tries. Only has one pass rush move which is a spin move, it's usually only effective once every 3 tries or so against previously mentioned poor offensive tackles. Ends up on the ground a lot more than he should. I'm not sure he's all that explosive in his lower body. Although I think he's probably adequate in that area, just nothing special.

I think he's a nice player and a decent prospect. There's not many with that type of frame. He hits hard and plays a physical style of football. When he meets a pulling guard in the hole at the POA, the RB usually has to find a detour. Again, I think he's starter quality and does his share of things well that don't show up on the stat sheet. Although I believe if you're looking for double digit sack guys in the 1st round, I'm not sure he's that.

My experience with him is that we was a player with ascending tape.

You watch him in 2015 and it's a different player from the Penn State game. You watch him in the Penn State game and it's a different player from the Florida State game.

That could be a player with a very big and athletic body just kind of coming into his own as a football player. Or it could just be plain inconsistency.

The player that played in the Florida State game has my interest. The one that played in some of the games earlier in 2016...I could take or leave.

My experience with him is that we was a player with ascending tape.

You watch him in 2015 and it's a different player from the Penn State game. You watch him in the Penn State game and it's a different player from the Florida State game.

That could be a player with a very big and athletic body just kind of coming into his own as a football player. Or it could just be plain inconsistency.

The player that played in the Florida State game has my interest. The one that played in some of the games earlier in 2016...I could take or leave.

Taco looked like a man amongst boys against the Noles, although that o-line is as suspect as they come.

Back
Top Bottom