Slimm's 2017 Tight Ends (Underclassman) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slimm's 2017 Tight Ends (Underclassman)

Pachyderm_Wave

Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ
Reaction score
1. David Njoku / Miami / 6'4", 244 ** (#17 overall)

sfl-photos-virginia-tech-at-miami-20151017

2. Bucky Hodges / Virginia Tech / 6'7", 241 (#105 overall)

3. Ricky Seals-Jones / Texas A&M / 6'5", 243 (#139 overall)

Last edited by a moderator:
Bucky Hodges is a freak athlete. I also really like Mark Andrews. Not many know of him yet because he'll only be a RS SOPH but he's very talented.

Those top 2 underclassmen and top 2 senior tight ends all carry first round grades in my book...probably the most talented tight end class if all 4 came out as ive seen...i could see all 4 gone in the top 25 picks even

Of the 4 id pick butt to be picked last...andrews is quite a talent

If you need a tight end 2017 is the year to get it

I think Mike Gesicki of Penn State is going to end up high on this list when all is said and done.

I'm very high on Baltimore's Crockett Gilmore. How would some of these young tight ends compare to a player like Gilmore?

I'm back to plug David Njoku again. He had TD catches of 77 yards and 57 yards today, and has finished the year with 7 TDs in the last 6 games. It's also being reported he is leaning towards declaring. IMHO he's a better athlete than OJ Howard. Doesn't quite have Howard's height though. He's going to be worth a 2nd round pick.

I'm back to plug David Njoku again. He had TD catches of 77 yards and 57 yards today, and has finished the year with 7 TDs in the last 6 games. It's also being reported he is leaning towards declaring. IMHO he's a better athlete than OJ Howard. Doesn't quite have Howard's height though. He's going to be worth a 2nd round pick.

I like his talent but there is something About him thst I'm just not sold on yet at the next level. I dunno I'll have to watch more of him.

IMO TE's are a position if you draft high you want to see a lot of polish on them. Way to many TE's have been drafted recently that got drafted based on upside that didn't come close to panning out, and we already have 2 project TEs In Gray and Duarte.

I like his talent but there is something About him thst I'm just not sold on yet at the next level. I dunno I'll have to watch more of him.

IMO TE's are a position if you draft high you want to see a lot of polish on them. Way to many TE's have been drafted recently that got drafted based on upside that didn't come close to panning out, and we already have 2 project TEs In Gray and Duarte.

He has concentration drops. Right now that's the real hole in his game. He's had about 6 this year which is a lot. He also is only a mediocre blocker, but we have the in-line TE in Sims assuming we re-sign him. Njoku is an athletic freak. And he gets open in the middle of the field and deep. I won't plug just any Canes player (for instance I love Kaaya, but I'm very nervous about him as a pro prospect), but when a kid is really worth the attention I like to point them out. I was dying for us to go after Jimmy Graham (3rd round), Sam Shields (UDFA), and Allen Hurns (UDFA) even though they were projects. I have the same conviction about Njoku. If he drops past the 2nd round it's a no-brainer, but I don't think that will happen after the combine. He is definitely flying under the radar some, but I think that is primarily because he is a RS Sophomore, and people haven't paid much attention to him at this point. I will say he isn't nearly the project that Gray and Duarte were. Though Gray may be far enough along in his development that our front office is content running with him, Sims, and making TE a lesser priority in the draft. Another Cane that IMHO warrants attention from us is CB Corn Elder. I think he will be available in the 3rd because of his size (5'10"), but he is another superb athlete, and I think he'd be a perfect fit in our defense for the slot CB position. I think he can play on the boundry in the NFL as well, but would be best suited inside based on size. He's very fast, and is a tough and willing tackler.

He has concentration drops. Right now that's the real hole in his game. He's had about 6 this year which is a lot. He also is only a mediocre blocker, but we have the in-line TE in Sims assuming we re-sign him. Njoku is an athletic freak. And he gets open in the middle of the field and deep. I won't plug just any Canes player (for instance I love Kaaya, but I'm very nervous about him as a pro prospect), but when a kid is really worth the attention I like to point them out. I was dying for us to go after Jimmy Graham (3rd round), Sam Shields (UDFA), and Allen Hurns (UDFA) even though they were projects. I have the same conviction about Njoku. If he drops past the 2nd round it's a no-brainer, but I don't think that will happen after the combine. He is definitely flying under the radar some, but I think that is primarily because he is a RS Sophomore, and people haven't paid much attention to him at this point. I will say he isn't nearly the project that Gray and Duarte were. Though Gray may be far enough along in his development that our front office is content running with him, Sims, and making TE a lesser priority in the draft. Another Cane that IMHO warrants attention from us is CB Corn Elder. I think he will be available in the 3rd because of his size (5'10"), but he is another superb athlete, and I think he'd be a perfect fit in our defense for the slot CB position. I think he can play on the boundry in the NFL as well, but would be best suited inside based on size. He's very fast, and is a tough and willing tackler.

Agree with all of this.

I dunno if he has concentration drops or just flat out has bad hands. And his blocking is probably below average. He flashes the athletism for sure. But so does Gray.

And with how far Grays blocking has come along I def could see Gase sticking with what we have. Gase was there to see Julius Thomas Develop, so I wouldn't be surprised of he tries to mimic that.

I guess I'm skeptical on Njoku because I think he Should be a lot better than he actually is right now. Right now he seems more like a really big raw WR than a Tight end.

I think you're right to focus on those two players (Njoku and Elder), if you're looking at the Canes.

I have some concerns about Njoku based on his size and lack of blocking ability. He's not going to be an especially versatile player at the next level, basically a slot receiver that can be thrown on the perimeter in the red zone. I do think he's interesting as a receiver. He shows the ability to repel would-be tacklers because they're small and he's big, which is what you want to see in a tight end that has to be used like a wide receiver. He's also got nice stopping ability on curls and other cutoff routes. He comes back to the football and has some natural receiver instincts.

But he's not what Miami is looking for at the position right now.

I mentioned Mike Gesicki before the season began. I do believe he's coming into his own as an athletic mismatch and pass catching weapon.

https://youtu.be/ABgLw0tTzwM?t=2272

That's one hell of a touchdown. I haven't always been very impressed with his blocking but that seems to be coming along as the season has worn on for Penn State. He's a junior and if you're looking for that super tall basketball guy that can run and really catch the football, that's him.

I mentioned Mike Gesicki before the season began. I do believe he's coming into his own as an athletic mismatch and pass catching weapon.

https://youtu.be/ABgLw0tTzwM?t=2272

That's one hell of a touchdown. I haven't always been very impressed with his blocking but that seems to be coming along as the season has worn on for Penn State. He's a junior and if you're looking for that super tall basketball guy that can run and really catch the football, that's him.

He looked good against the Badgers on Saturday. I had never watched him before, but he had a terrific game.

I think you're right to focus on those two players (Njoku and Elder), if you're looking at the Canes.

I have some concerns about Njoku based on his size and lack of blocking ability. He's not going to be an especially versatile player at the next level, basically a slot receiver that can be thrown on the perimeter in the red zone. I do think he's interesting as a receiver. He shows the ability to repel would-be tacklers because they're small and he's big, which is what you want to see in a tight end that has to be used like a wide receiver. He's also got nice stopping ability on curls and other cutoff routes. He comes back to the football and has some natural receiver instincts.

But he's not what Miami is looking for at the position right now.

He's a legit 245 lbs now. He gives up height, but it's not just DB's that bounce off of him. He runs like a bigger Landry. And while he isn't a good blocker, I also don't think he's as bad at it as he's made out to be, and IMHO that can be taught. He's only been playing in-line for 2 years now. He's a tough cat, and I think you can take a guy like that and turn them into a decent blocker. If we keep Sims I like the idea of bringing Njoku on. But he definitely isn't a do it all TE. He would replace what Cameron was supposed to bring to the table for us. If we part ways with Sims, I think we really need a more complete TE though.

He's a legit 245 lbs now. He gives up height, but it's not just DB's that bounce off of him. He runs like a bigger Landry. And while he isn't a good blocker, I also don't think he's as bad at it as he's made out to be, and IMHO that can be taught. He's only been playing in-line for 2 years now. He's a tough cat, and I think you can take a guy like that and turn them into a decent blocker. If we keep Sims I like the idea of bringing Njoku on. But he definitely isn't a do it all TE. He would replace what Cameron was supposed to bring to the table for us. If we part ways with Sims, I think we really need a more complete TE though.

Based on what I see on tape, I'd be surprised if he weighed in at that full 245 lbs on game days. He'll do it during the Combine because looking at his body you can tell he has the ability to get his water up and put on some Aaron Maybin weight. But all in all, he's light for a tight end in the NFL. It's not just the height. His entire frame is narrow, receiver-like. Which is great for him in some ways because he moves like a receiver. But it's bad for him as a blocker because he blocks like a receiver. And you say he's only been used in-line for two years, but based on what I've seen I hardly see him used in-line. That honor belongs to Christopher Herndon wherever applicable, I would say. Njoku isn't even the #1 TE there, Herndon clearly is and has the snap counts to prove it, I'm pretty sure.

I mean just looking at his body, I believe he's a hard worker. I really do. But I also believe he's maxing himself out in terms of bulk. You'd basically be drafting another Thomas Duarte. Maybe a better Thomas Duarte, but they've already got Duarte and they're going to have back MarQueis Gray, and so David Njoku is not the guy they're looking for. Mike Gesicki may not even be that guy although I believe they could see him as another Greg Olsen type and think about it that way.

They want a guy with true versatility. They want a guy that will play attached to the formation, often with trips to the other side, which is a formation they had planned to use heavily when Jordan Cameron was healthy but they've pretty much had to abandon since he's been out. They want a guy they can walk out to the perimeter in the red zone and run slants and fades with. And yeah they want a guy that they can slide into more of a joker slot receiver role or an H-Back role at will, because the defense's rules dictate a certain favorable matchup when they do that.

Right now I think Mike Gesicki, Mark Andrews, O.J. Howard, Jeremy Sprinkle, Jordan Leggett, Jake Butt, maybe Pharaoh Brown, Phazahn Odom...those are the types they'll be looking at, some maybe more than others.

Speaking of Mark Andrews does anyone know if he plans on coming out? He'd have to be the prohibitive favorite for top TE in the class.

Back
Top Bottom