Slimm's 2017 Wide Receivers (Seniors) | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slimm's 2017 Wide Receivers (Seniors)

I mention Jalen Robinette a lot. Here are his first 6 games of the season on a play list.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL32cKYe6Uwlk74dmwH502JaIWM4vKPib-

And here is his catch reel for the first half of 2016:

[video=youtube;PqdCKJ0PqAU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqdCKJ0PqAU[/video]

He's been invited to the Shrine Game (he was the 1st player they invited).

Last edited by a moderator:
Father Slimm,

Do you have any further advice or thoughts on him thus far this year? I see you moved him up your board some. I've been struck by some of the routes he's run under Troy Calhoun, who used to be the OC for the Houston Texans a decade ago. I know their triple option makes for a tough evaluation and transition but the skills do look like they're there.

Looks like Ryan Switzer, Amba Etta-Tawo, Taywan Taylor and Cooper Kupp are among Senior Bowl invites that accepted.

Been watching a lot more of Amba Etta-Tawo, Amara Darboh and Austin Carr. I like those guys.

Toss in Josh Reynolds, Corey Davis, Jalen Robinette and Taywan Taylor, this senior WR class could be a fun party.

I've left off Mike Williams in a lot of this talk because I'm still a little confused with some people calling him a senior and others a junior. He's probably coming out either way so maybe it's moot.

Whatever he is, he's very good. What he does so well at his 6'3" and 215 lbs or whatever he ends up being, is he makes the position look pretty easy most of the time. And it's really not that easy. He's that Dez Bryant looking player. He's the guy you could see being a consistent Pro Bowl player at the next level. It's not always clean with him because defenses don't play him clean, and that's a good thing. They've been very physical with him and he's gotten comfortable with it, makes plays anyway. You've got to figure he's ready for that physicality in the pros, and the guy is just a superbly talented player.

I like these other players...Amba Etta-Tawao, Josh Reynolds, Jalen Robinette, and Corey Davis especially...but you've got to give Mike Williams his due above them, IMO.

Mike Williams just displays such body control and has a real knack for turning 50/50 jumpball situations into 80/20 situations in his favor. He dominates the catch point.

He's always well balanced, which helps him to adjust on the football. And then when you add in his size and physical strength, it just seems like the second part of that is he's going to adjust on the football, and you're not going to stop him doing it.

He's terrific. Consistently among my favorites.

I think this is a good senior class. Mike Williams is somewhere between Dez Bryant and Allen Robinson as a prospect. I am very high on a group of players including Corey Davis, Josh Reynolds, Amba Etta-Tawo, Jalen Robinette, Amara Darboh, and Taywan Taylor. I also like to an extent Dede Westbrook and Quincy Adeboyejo, but there are concerns. For Westbrook it's tough to get over his Snoop Minnis frame. For Adeboyejo it's a matter of him needing a broad increase in pure receiving skills to go along with that flashy size/agility/speed combo.

He's terrific. Consistently among my favorites.

I think this is a good senior class. Mike Williams is somewhere between Dez Bryant and Allen Robinson as a prospect. I am very high on a group of players including Corey Davis, Josh Reynolds, Amba Etta-Tawo, Jalen Robinette, Amara Darboh, and Taywan Taylor. I also like to an extent Dede Westbrook and Quincy Adeboyejo, but there are concerns. For Westbrook it's tough to get over his Snoop Minnis frame. For Adeboyejo it's a matter of him needing a broad increase in pure receiving skills to go along with that flashy size/agility/speed combo.

I love the way that Taylor uses leverage for separation, and his timing is great. I also love that he can play the slot or on the outside. I'm not at all concerned about his level of competition, because he's posted 19 catches for 224 yards in his games against LSU (2015) and Alabama (2016). If reports are correct, he'll test very well. At the 0:35 mark of the 2nd Quarter against Alabama, he shows how slippery he can be against NFL caliber defenders. This play against Indiana, though, made me think of Antonio Brown. As a Dolphins fan, I wish I could trade Carroo (who I like) for Jatavis Brown. It'd be a lot easier to justify taking a WR in the 2nd or 3rd, but I like Taylor as a high-ceiling, high-floor player. He knows how to get to where he needs to get, and he has the physical tools and skill to execute. Terrific Senior group of WR's.

u7TnYsgW1x2da.gif

1. Mike Williams / Clemson / 6'4", 220

2. Travin Dural / LSU / 6'2", 203

3. Josh Reynolds / Texas A&M / 6'4", 195

4. Corey Davis / W. Michigan / 6'3", 205

5. Bug Howard / N. Carolina / 6'5", 210

6. Mack Hollins / N. Carolina / 6'4", 210 (Averages nearly 21 yards/reception for his career.)

7. Keevan Lucas / Tulsa / 5'10", 198

8. Taywan Taylor / W. Kentucky / 6'1", 195

9. Cooper Kupp / E. Washington / 6'2", 194

cooper-kupp-eastern-washington-121613.jpg

10t. Jehu Chesson / Michigan / 6'3", 207

10t. Keon Hatcher / Arkansas / 6'2", 207

10t. Amba Etta-Tawo / Syracuse / 6'2", 200

11. Stacy Coley / Miami / 6'1", 187

12. Ryan Switzer / N. Carolina / 5'10", 185 (Slot receiver is also the most dangerous punt returner in the country with 7 career punt return TD's.)

13. Kenny Golladay / N. Illinois / 6'4", 200

14. Dede Westbrook / Oklahoma / 6'0", 170

15. James Quick / Louisville / 6'1", 191

16. Fred Ross / Mississippi St. / 6'2", 207

17. Quincy Adeboyejo / Ole Miss / 6'3", 195

18. DeAngelo Yancey / Purdue / 6'2", 223

19. Rodney Adams / USF / 6'1", 190

20. Robert Wheelwright / Wisconsin / 6'3", 202

[video]https://www.clippituser.tv/c/embed_iframe/nmwly[/video] <------------

21. Jalen Robinette / Air Force / 6'4", 215

22. Gabe Marks / Washington St. / 6'0", 190

23. Zach Pascal / Old Dominion / 6'2", 214

24t. Drew Morgan / Arkansas / 6'0", 195

24t. Alonzo Moore / Nebraska / 6'2", 195

25. Dwayne Stanford / Oregon / 6'5", 205

26. Jordan Westerkamp / Nebraska / 6'0", 195

27. Amara Darboh / Michigan / 6'2", 216

28. Hasaan Henderson / Nevada / 6'5", 220

29. Brandon Reilly / Nebraska / 6'1", 195

awb15_0905fb_byu_neb_1167.jpg

30t. Robert Davis / Georgia St. / 6'3", 198

30t. Sebastian Smith / Ohio / 6'3", 195

31t. Dontre Wilson / Ohio St. / 5'10", 195

31. Ajalen Holley / UL-Monroe / 5'10", 193

32. Geno Lewis / Oklahoma / 6'1", 205 (Transfer from Penn St.)

33. Gehrig Dieter / Alabama / 6'3", 207 (Graduate transfer from Bowling Green where he lit it up every week in Dino Babers' offense. Began his career at SMU.)

34. KeVonn Mabon / Ball St. / 6'1", 219

35. Rokeem Williams / Miami (OH) / 6'1", 198

36. Jamari Staples / Louisville / 6'4", 195

37. Thomas Sperbeck / Boise St. / 6'0", 175

38. Dontez Ford / Pittsburgh / 6'2", 215

39. Reggie Davis / Georgia / 6'0", 170

40. Kermit Whitfield / Florida St. / 5'8", 184

41. Janorion Grant / Rutgers / 5'11", 170

42. Reginald Davis / Texas Tech / 6'0", 188

43. Brisly Estime / Syracuse / 5'9", 180 (19.7 yards per punt return leads all receivers here who play special teams.)

44. Ronnie Moore / Bowling Green / 5'9", 170

45. Trent Taylor / Louisiana Tech / 5'8", 180

46. Kenneth Walker / UCLA / 5'10", 180

47. Teldrick Morgan / Maryland / 6'0", 195 (Transfer from New Mexico St.)

48. Jason Croom / Tennessee / 6'5", 243 (Making the transition to TE as a Senior. Reminds me of David Martin coming out of Tennessee who played WR for the Vols before making the switch to TE in the NFL.)

49. Ricky Jones / Indiana / 5'10", 188

50. JoJo Natson / Akron / 5'8", 155

I wouldn't mind taking Ryan Switzer if he's there in the 6th. (Doubtful, but maybe). The dude is dangerous as a returner and in space. He's also got that "Alpha" personality that Miami likes. He also doesn't put the ball on the ground.

Looks like Air Force WR Jalen Robinette had another typical game for him...2 catches for 124 yards and a TD. Plus a 2-point conversion catch, a 28 yard one-handed catch called back on an ineligible man downfield penalty, two defensive holding penalties (one in the end zone), bunch of great blocks.

Finished the season with 35 catches for 959 yards and 6 TDs. He's the most productive Air Force WR in academy history. His 27.4 yards per catch average ranks as one of the top 10 yards per catch averages in FBS history among guys who caught at least 30 balls. That might actually be top 5 now because it jumped from 25.3 to 27.4 in this game. I have to check again.

There are 15 players in FBS history that had at least 1.875 catches per game that had better than 27.4 yards per catch but only Elmo Wright did it on a higher catch per game average. His season is #7 all time if you just limit to guys with at least 30 catches. He's #3 all time if you limit to 35 catches. And what's crazy is he averaged 24.7 yards per catch on 26 catches in 2015. Only Brennan Marion had a better two-year stretch.

First player invited to the Shrine Game. He'll be there in a few weeks.

I'll stick up for Robinette one last time here. I don't think there are more than two senior wide receivers in this draft class that belong clearly above him. Taywan Taylor and Corey Davis, I get it. Anyone else is fair game or inferior.

First player invited to the Shrine game. Also invited to the NFLPA game. This morning he accepted an invitation to attend the Senior Bowl. He's invited to the Combine. I know that people in the Broncos organization consider it no secret that John Elway loves him. His dance card was full all week. The Panthers met with him three friggin times.

There are some juniors that are a tough call but of the seniors, pretty much just Corey Davis and Taywan Taylor.

[video=youtube;J66XahiG4gk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J66XahiG4gk[/video]

DeAngelo Yancey is another wide receiver that is criminally underrated.

Showed up at Shrine week and all week long all he did was consistently get open and catch balls and do work. I'd never seen a lick of film on him. But he was BIG at 6'1" and 220 lbs with a good muscle build, 33" arms, 6'6.5" winsgpan, and he just looked so professional at everything he did.

I looked at him on film more with Purdue and it's amazing what a good route runner he is. Explodes out of breaks, cuts sharp absolutely zero wasted motion. Very unique and very well coordinated in his hands, feet, hips, etc. It's no wonder he averaged 20 yards a catch this year, with 10 TDs in an unimpressive offense. The guy is incredible with double moves because he's able to execute the fakes and get going again with minimal loss. It's really very, very impressive to watch.

I've only had probably five or six seniors I liked all this time between Corey Davis, Taywan Taylor, Jalen Robinette, Josh Reynolds, and Amba Etta-Tawo, but DeAngelo Yancey is now on that list. And I'm pretty tempted to add Zay Jones after his Senior Bowl showing because he showed that there isn't need to be skeptical about some of the things I saw on tape that I would normally be skeptical about.

DeAngelo Yancey vs Wisconsin in 2016:
https://youtu.be/ebm_xnfF3AQ

His 2015 highlights:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaVFC_aP9lw

His 2016 highlights:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWSFFI_ouTY

His East-West Shrine Game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKnYlpE5MhM

DeAngelo Yancey vs Iowa 2015:
https://youtu.be/39FkxdCEm_w

Back
Top Bottom