Slimm's 2018 Defensive Tackles (Seniors) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slimm's 2018 Defensive Tackles (Seniors)

Pachyderm_Wave

Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ
Reaction score
1. Folorunso Fatukasi / UCONN / 6'4", 318 [#50 overall]

2. Maurice Hurst / Michigan / 6'1", 292 [#66 overall]

3. B.J. Hill / N.C. State / 6'3", 311 [#73 overall]

4. Derrick Nnadi / Florida St. / 6'1", 317 [#113 overall]

5. Justin Jones / N.C. State / 6'2", 309 [#115 overall]

6. Andrew Brown / Virginia / 6'3", 296 [#140 overall]

7. Nathan Shepherd / Ft. Hays St. / 6'4", 315 [#163 overall]

8. Kentavius Street / N. C. State / 6'2", 280 [#164 overall]

9. Lowell Lotulelei / Utah / 6'2", 315 [#208 overall]

10. Deadrin Senat / S. Florida / 6'0", 314 [#214 overall]

11. P.J. Hall / Sam Houston St. / 6'0", 308 [#215 overall]

12. Christian LaCouture / LSU / 6'4", 290 [UDFA]

13. Josh Frazier / Alabama / 6'3", 321 [UDFA]

14. Poona Ford / Texas / 5'11", 309 [UDFA]

15. Zaycoven Henderson / Texas A&M / 6'1", 298 [UDFA]

16. Steven Richardson / Minnesota / 6'0", 292 [UDFA]

17. Noa Merritt / Boston College / 6'0", 290 [UDFA]

18. Chris Johnson / W. Kentucky / 6'2", 290 [UDFA]

Last edited by a moderator:
Super early in the process, but I could see DT and center being Miami's top needs heading into next years' draft. Seems like Suh's talent is being wasted a bit without much around him.

I think the team will continue to build the defense with another pass rusher and safety as high possibilities. I have concerns as to whether Jordan Phillips can get to a consistent level and Mike Pouncey is, unfortunately, a huge injury risk.

Hopefully, Miami will be picking mid to late 20's.

Not sure I can get down with Lotulelei over Nnadi. I know Lowell was banged up last year, but Nnadi makes more plays and has better point strength.

It's pretty clear to me Maurice Hurst is the straw that stirs the drink for Michigan's defense. He fires off the snap with such great leverage and quickness he's virtually unlockable if you try to single block him.

He allows those linebackers to play faster than they are and make plays sideline to sideline. He makes the entire defense faster.

Awsi Dooger has always made a great point in regards to 6'5" defensive tackles like Jordan Phillips, and their issues with leverage. You have about a second to win and establish that leverage inside at the snap. Otherwise you can't get penetration and be disruptive consistently.

If you want to see a DT that wins nearly every snap, watch Maurice Hurst.

Seems like most of the attention on Rutgers DL goes to the lengthy DE Kemoko Turay, who has been on radar for a few years now and reminds a bit of Dion Jordan.

But I think a lot more attention is warranted on DT Sebastian Joseph. He's a uniquely-built player whose combination of lateral movement and strength stands out a whole lot.

The hands on this Sebastian Joseph really stand out quite a bit. He can grip and rip offensive linemen all day, long as he's not doubled.

DT #51 on Rutgers

Harrison Phillips reminds me of those old horror movies like The Blob. He's never moving very fast, but he just keeps working toward the ball, and he makes a ton of plays - a ridiculous amount for a guy playing NT. Maybe the best hands of any DT I've watched. In that sense, he reminds me of a larger Aaron Donald without the speed and burst.

Awsi Dooger has always made a great point in regards to 6'5" defensive tackles like Jordan Phillips, and their issues with leverage. You have about a second to win and establish that leverage inside at the snap. Otherwise you can't get penetration and be disruptive consistently.

Thank you. Defensive tackle has always been my favorite position. I don't follow personnel as closely any more so my opinions are subject to quick glimpses only, and therefore greater error. But with a defensive tackle it's like a golf swing...I can watch just a few repetitions and detect the strengths/weaknesses and overall caliber.

Andrew Brown has such a common name that I completely forgot that I had looked at him and liked him.

He REALLY stood out during the Senior Bowl game. The way he came off the ball was a problem for offensive linemen, maximum disruption.

Andrew Brown has such a common name that I completely forgot that I had looked at him and liked him.

He REALLY stood out during the Senior Bowl game. The way he came off the ball was a problem for offensive linemen, maximum disruption.

How would he project in the Dolphin defense in your opinion? He was consistent all through the week at the Senior Bowl from the one on one drills through the game, and I remember him being disruptive in the UM game this year. Slighly off-topic, but you have been on the money with Marcus Davenport from the start. He has flown up draft boards the last month.

It's pretty clear to me Maurice Hurst is the straw that stirs the drink for Michigan's defense. He fires off the snap with such great leverage and quickness he's virtually unlockable if you try to single block him.

He allows those linebackers to play faster than they are and make plays sideline to sideline. He makes the entire defense faster.

If you want to see a DT that wins nearly every snap, watch Maurice Hurst.

This Hurst kid any good? Believe he's leading all NFL defensive tackles in sacks.

Back
Top Bottom