Slimm's Position Rankings | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slimm's Position Rankings

problem with sanu for me other than he can fight the ball his hands look inconsistent to me is that on tape i have yet to see evidence of him
providing chunk yardage plays in the passing game...his game has more a possession type wr look to me given everythings 20 yards or less pretty much that i've seen...

i wouldn't touch him with our 2nd rounder i know that...

demario davis the lb from ark state really caught my eye at the combine with his work in drills and his length...very long lean muscled athlete...slimm since you have him your top rated 43 0lb i assume you have seen plenty of evidence of this kid showing off instincts and burst etc...can you point me in the direction of where i can see some of it??? i was a big fan of his after what i saw at the combine

i think you have kendall reyes 2 spots too low on your dt rankings and i think you have cb dwight bentley a little low also...i don't see the cb norman from the small school that lit up the shrine game week on you rankings either...

also why is lb bobby wagner from utah st not on your board???

demario davis the lb from ark state really caught my eye at the combine with his work in drills and his length...very long lean muscled athlete...slimm since you have him your top rated 43 0lb i assume you have seen plenty of evidence of this kid showing off instincts and burst etc...can you point me in the direction of where i can see some of it??? i was a big fan of his after what i saw at the combine

i think you have kendall reyes 2 spots too low on your dt rankings and i think you have cb dwight bentley a little low also...i don't see the cb norman from the small school that lit up the shrine game week on you rankings either...

also why is lb bobby wagner from utah st not on your board???

Josh Norman isn't on my board because there's no way in hell you can play cornerback in the NFL running almost 4.7 in the 40 yard dash. He has some character issues off the field, and some effort issues on it. There's too many other good CB's that I like, and Norman just didn't make the cut. There's some small school corners like Asa Jackson that I really like.

Bobby Wagner isn't on my board for the same reason a lot of other players aren't... I don't think he's very good, and I like other linebackers better.

I'm comfortable with where I have Kendall Reyes. He tested extremely well at the combine which helped his stock in my eyes, but he has a tendency to want to play around blocks rather than through them. Once he realizes he's lined up across from a guy who'll battle him tooth and nail, Reyes doesn't always match the challenge. I watched Lucas Nix completely dominate him and shut him out.

Dwight Bentley is also a top 3 round pick on my board, but he's a very small corner. Has some issues in downfield coverage as well. Extremely competitive and plays with tremendous heart. I like Bentley, but I'll take the corners I have ahead of him first.

Demario Davis might be the best 3 down linebacker in this draft behind Luck Kuechly, although I like Davis outside. He's a freak athletically in every aspect, physical, instinctive, wrap up tackler who knows when to really bring something extra without risking a whiffed tackle. Arkansas St. had a tremendous defense and Davis looked to me like the heart and soul of it that everyone else fed off of.

damn...i didn't know norman ran 4.7...i guess now i know why he was squatting on everything at the shrine game...lacks long speed

i thought bobby wagner showed well at the senior bowl...i think he can make someones roster as a specials guy at least

4th round...maybe late 3rd but i have a 4th round grade due to medical...but i was never he's a 1st round wr guy...he looks like an nfl #2 wr to me
Yeah I dont think hes an alpha, but I cant help but think hed be a great fit for the offense we want to run.

As I continue to go back and study the film more on these prospects, I've made a slight adjustment to my board.

Kirk Cousins moved up 1 spot in my quarterback rankings, B.J. Coleman dropped a spot.

Coleman:

- pocket presence
- accuracy & ball placement
- coverage recognition

Cousins:

+ coverage recognition *consistently read the flat defender correctly on the slant/flat read*
+ better anticipation and reading defender's intent vs. zone
+ ball placement and velocity on very difficult intermediate throws between defenders
+ consistent release point and gets good extention of throwing arm
+ ball comes out of his hand very clean with tight spin when he sets his feet

TedSlimmJr....I was recently having a conversation with a friend about RGIII and at the time it seemed very obvious that with the Skins trading up to number 2 that they would go after him...but now I am having some doubts..I thought that it was pretty interesting that you had Tannehil ahead of RGIII..can you give some insight on it? I have never been a fan of Griffin as a pro qb..and I like Ryan alot....I agreed with Ck about his funny release at times and he just does not pass the eye test with me as far as his build is concerned..Do you think there is any chance that Tannehil goes number 2 to the skins? They both ran some bootlegs in college and both throw the ball pretty good on the run but with Tannehil you get the pro level size...

problem with sanu for me other than he can fight the ball his hands look inconsistent to me is that on tape i have yet to see evidence of him
providing chunk yardage plays in the passing game...his game has more a possession type wr look to me given everythings 20 yards or less pretty much that i've seen...

i wouldn't touch him with our 2nd rounder i know that...

From NFL.com
Mohamed Sanu, WR, (6-1 5/8, 211) — Sanu, who caught 115 passes for 1,206 yards last season, was projected as a possible first-round pick by some but hurt his stock by running a 4.67-second 40-yard dash. At his pro day, he did everything over again, running the 40 in 4.55 and 4.54 seconds. He also had a 4.21-second short shuttle. He was worked out by one of the Saints scouts. Scouts said he had a very good workout, catching the ball well. He just doesn’t look like he gets a lot of separation when he’s going for it. He ran the first 10 yards of the 40 in 1.6 seconds.
Those last couple of sentences...not good. 1.6 seconds on your 10 yard split? That tells me he lacks that short area quickness to get separation at the LOS.

TedSlimmJr....I was recently having a conversation with a friend about RGIII and at the time it seemed very obvious that with the Skins trading up to number 2 that they would go after him...but now I am having some doubts..I thought that it was pretty interesting that you had Tannehil ahead of RGIII..can you give some insight on it? I have never been a fan of Griffin as a pro qb..and I like Ryan alot....I agreed with Ck about his funny release at times and he just does not pass the eye test with me as far as his build is concerned..Do you think there is any chance that Tannehil goes number 2 to the skins? They both ran some bootlegs in college and both throw the ball pretty good on the run but with Tannehil you get the pro level size...

I don't know who the Redskins want to draft at #2, and don't care. All I know is that I think Tannehill projects better to the NFL than Griffin does... no matter where they're drafted.

I pay close attention to footwork, that's where a quarterback is made. It is the source of accuracy.

Your footwork dominates everything that you do in any sport at any position... none moreso than the quarterback position. I like to see a QB's footwork tied in to what his eyes are seeing. If you understand the concepts of READ, PURE, and KEY progressions within the structure of a particular offense, focusing on the footwork alone will tell you whether the decision (throw) was correct or not based on the coverage, leverage, and the defender the quarterback was keying.

This becomes much more clouded when you're evaluating a QB who operates strictly from the shotgun, as footwork doesn't apply as much. It's not required in non-sophisticated passing offenses. College coaches are limited in the amount of practice time available to them (20 hours a week). They only coach what's essential to making their particular system work.

Baylor's offense under Art Briles is a very non-sophisticated system. It's a simple MOFO/MOFC "Read" key off the 4-verticals Run-&-Shoot concept. Switch and Choice might occassionally be the sight adjustments by the WR and QB. That right there tells you that there are no pure progressions in the offense. I could go further, but the point is that Griffin is going to have to learn progressions, and the proper footwork. After he learns these two, he then has to marry them together.

Everyone sees the highlights and thinks he's a franchise quarterback, but they don't understand what a project he is on a down-to-down basis. There's no question he's talented, and a supremely gifted athlete. But he gets sacked once every 14 dropbacks, which is by far the worst ratio of any of the top 10-15 QB's in this draft. It's because he runs himself into sacks trying to get outside the pocket. I don't like that.

Tannehill has better pocket presence and footwork, combined with understanding how to tie his footwork in to what his eyes are seeing. It's a result of playing under center in a pro-style, West Coast Offense. He was required to make more "NFL throws" on a down to down basis than any QB in this class other than Andrew Luck. "NFL throws" meaning, progression followed by the result of the throw having to be traced back to his footwork. It has nothing to do with arm strength, which is what most people think that means.

The bottom line for me is this... other than Andrew Luck, I don't see any "franchise" quarterbacks in this draft. People have become far too liberal with the terms "franchise" and "quarterback". It basically applies to any and every Big-12 quarterback that the media hypes up nowdays.

Beyond Luck, I see a bunch of quarterbacks that can be lumped into a couple of different tiers together for various reasons. But I don't see any franchise changers. There's nobody that I'm absolutely sold on, or would put my job on the line for.

I think a couple of these kids have a chance to end up decent starting quarterbacks if they're developed properly and are able to overcome their flaws through being students of the game and working at their craft.

I don't know who the Redskins want to draft at #2, and don't care. All I know is that I think Tannehill projects better to the NFL than Griffin does... no matter where they're drafted.

I pay close attention to footwork, that's where a quarterback is made. It is the source of accuracy.

Your footwork dominates everything that you do in any sport at any position... none moreso than the quarterback position. I like to see a QB's footwork tied in to what his eyes are seeing. If you understand the concepts of READ, PURE, and KEY progressions within the structure of a particular offense, focusing on the footwork alone will tell you whether the decision (throw) was correct or not based on the coverage, leverage, and the defender the quarterback was keying.

This becomes much more clouded when you're evaluating a QB who operates strictly from the shotgun, as footwork doesn't apply as much. It's not required in non-sophisticated passing offenses. College coaches are limited in the amount of practice time available to them (20 hours a week). They only coach what's essential to making their particular system work.

Baylor's offense under Art Briles is a very non-sophisticated system. It's a simple MOFO/MOFC "Read" key off the 4-verticals Run-&-Shoot concept. Switch and Choice might occassionally be the sight adjustments by the WR and QB. That right there tells you that there are no pure progressions in the offense. I could go further, but the point is that Griffin is going to have to learn progressions, and the proper footwork. After he learns these two, he then has to marry them together.

Everyone sees the highlights and thinks he's a franchise quarterback, but they don't understand what a project he is on a down-to-down basis. There's no question he's talented, and a supremely gifted athlete. But he gets sacked once every 14 dropbacks, which is by far the worst ratio of any of the top 10-15 QB's in this draft. It's because he runs himself into sacks trying to get outside the pocket. I don't like that.

Tannehill has better pocket presence and footwork, combined with understanding how to tie his footwork in to what his eyes are seeing. It's a result of playing under center in a pro-style, West Coast Offense. He was required to make more "NFL throws" on a down to down basis than any QB in this class other than Andrew Luck. "NFL throws" meaning, progression followed by the result of the throw having to be traced back to his footwork. It has nothing to do with arm strength, which is what most people think that means.

The bottom line for me is this... other than Andrew Luck, I don't see any "franchise" quarterbacks in this draft. People have become far too liberal with the terms "franchise" and "quarterback". It basically applies to any and every Big-12 quarterback that the media hypes up nowdays.

Beyond Luck, I see a bunch of quarterbacks that can be lumped into a couple of different tiers together for various reasons. But I don't see any franchise changers. There's nobody that I'm absolutely sold on, or would put my job on the line for.

I think a couple of these kids have a chance to end up decent starting quarterbacks if they're developed properly and are able to overcome their flaws through being students of the game and working at their craft.

Thanks alot, you basically reinforced what I was already thinking about Griffin..I watched Tannehill vs LSU and I agree with you about his pocket presance....I also see him making checks at the line and calling out the blitzes...He does need to work on his footwork...He fails to step up into the pocket on blitzes at times and can be pretty inaccuracte when the ball comes out hot..Alot of high throws at times..But I def agree that Tannehill is going to be a better qb than Griffin..

Last edited by a moderator:
Slimm, this list is regardless of scheme correct? This is not the order specifically for what Miami is looking for in their scheme offensively or defensively, right?

That's correct. Mine are always irrespective of what Miami is or isn't looking for.

Not only that, it's also usually irrespective of how their draft "stock" is perceived, or what order they supposed to come off the board.

When you start getting into specific scheme fits, a little juggling would take place.

For example, if a team runs a very aggressive system on defense with a lot of man coverage behind exotic blitzes, I might pass up my #4 ranked corner in favor of my #5 ranked corner simply because my #5 ranked corner is better at pure man coverage while my #4 corner is more suited for a zone scheme, etc.

That's correct. Mine are always irrespective of what Miami is or isn't looking for.

Not only that, it's also usually irrespective of how their draft "stock" is perceived, or what order they supposed to come off the board.

When you start getting into specific scheme fits, a little juggling would take place.

For example, if a team runs a very aggressive system on defense with a lot of man coverage behind exotic blitzes, I might pass up my #4 ranked corner in favor of my #5 ranked corner simply because my #5 ranked corner is better at pure man coverage while my #4 corner is more suited for a zone scheme, etc.
That's what I thought from the way you ordered them. I just wanted to confirm.

I've been spending some time looking at OL that would fit the ZBS that might be there for us in round 3 and later, that's what made me ask the question.

Back
Top Bottom