Smiley is our Pick | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Smiley is our Pick

FinFan57

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Trying to get into Rick Spielman's head........it seems we're loading up on tackles (Smith, McIntosh, Randall, and St. Clair...possibly even Jerman) because there aren't any quality tackles in this draft. We obviously have no shot at Gallery, Andrews might be gone and is a bit of question mark even if he is available, at least at right tackle anyway. Carey also many question marks.

Justin Smiley is now the #2 OL on many boards and mine too. This guy may be one of the safest picks at OL with very little downside. He only needs to work on upper body strength, which I understand he has already improved since the combine.

A guard rarely goes at #20 in the draft, but we have a glaring need and Smiley is a very special player. In addition, we have Mike Shula, HC at Alabama, to give us the inside info on Smiley.

Wouldn't it be great to have Smiley and James at Guard? Two very athletic, great run blocking guards who are also solid citizens and great team leaders. If Smith and McIntosh come together at the L and R tackle positions, we could have a very solid O-Line for a long time to come.

I think Spielman has found our new RT with McIntosh and is now looking for a RG. We have to accept that the same way we must accept that he has chosen AJ Feeley as our new QB.

Smiley is the safe, available choice. Yes, he probably should go lower, but we don't have a 2nd rounder. Smiley fits the bill and will be available. If we get him, we only need one more quick receiver to round out our offense. Then we can concentrate on Defensive depth and future starters.

I really like Smiley. He's a great player and a great guy. I think you could trade down about 10 picks, pick up a 3rd or 4th and still get him.....20 would be a reach...but only because he is a guard..not because of his talent. He totally dominated Tommie Harris this past year....and Harris could be a top 10 pick.

Smiley would be a great option if we needed a Left Guard. We seem to prefer the bigger player on the right side. I don't think Smiley is big enough to go up against the likes of a Tim Bowens type of DT.

It would be more likely to go for a RT that could slide inside and play RG. Still even more likely that we add a VET like a big Larry Allen type to play RG and compete with Whitley.

Spielman has reiterated his commitment to Whitley for years to come. He just might not be ready to be the "starter" for another year or two.

I've been saying that Smiley's our guy now for 2 weeks and I don't think we'll be able to trade down 10 spots and still get him. I think we can trade down a few spots and get him and he'll be our RG for the next 8 years and he'll be in the probowl in 2 years.

Ozzy rules!!

Unlees the FO trades down I can't see the Fins taking Smiley at the 20th pick.Their are alot better BPA at the 20th spot and taking Smiley would be a big reach.

If you trade down thinking that Smiley will be there, you will be very disappointed. New England is a very strong possibility for him at 21, while Tennessee is looking at him with the 27th pick. Dallas could even be a wildcard there considering the Larry Allen questions. There are several OL coaches that think Smiley is the second best offensive lineman in the draft, period. The general feeling is that had he stayed in school, he would have been rated the top lineman in the 2005 draft.

This guy is a great player, and I feel he will be a Pro Bowl guard for a very long time. The only negative I see in his game is that he will let his pad level get too high at times. The guy has great footwork and is a terrific pulling guard. He's got tremendous strength in his hip and thigh area, and he's a very explosive blocker. He isn't a mauler type of blocker. He's a explode, pop, and drive type of blocker. You don't have to be 330 lbs to be considered a strong blocker on the inside. Smiley may only be 298 lbs, but the guy is extremely strong. He owns the Alabama power clean record with a lift of around 425 lbs. He can squat lift around 700 lbs. This guy has explosive strength.

The guy seems to be inching up to the number 20 spot. :D

I have the dolphins trading down with denver and taking him at 24 but, I didn't know about NE's interest. They are scary too, because of all those draft picks they have, they have the flexibility to reach for a player if they really want to.

Brian DeLucia Quote,
The one guy who intrigues me is Alabama's Justin Smiley. Smiley enters the draft as a "safe pick" with enough upside to project as a Pro Bowl performer at some point. He has room to grow into his upper body, but has a well-developed lower body and gets movement on the ground. Smiley also has a natural feel for pulling and trapping. He uses his hands well and displays good footwork in pass protection. He plays the game hard and approaches things like a true pro. Smiley will be an asset to any team as a right or left guard. I have Smiley as my second-rated O-lineman behind Robert Gallery.

http://www.foxsports.com/content/view?contentId=2297638

I think I have read every bio on Smiley and Andrews that I care to...What I like about Smiley's bios is that his "downside" in each bio is always a correctable, technique item, never is it attitude or weight control or medical issue. This impresses me more than even his positives. I have been on the Andrews bandwagon since January, but now, I'm officially changing to the Smiley bandwagon....

Originally posted by LarryFinFan
I think I have read every bio on Smiley and Andrews that I care to...What I like about Smiley's bios is that his "downside" in each bio is always a correctable, technique item, never is it attitude or weight control or medical issue. This impresses me more than even his positives. I have been on the Andrews bandwagon since January, but now, I'm officially changing to the Smiley bandwagon....
:party: :band:

Sometimes we get too caught up in picking a guy at the right number, or picking for value as Mel Kiper likes to say. Do you really think anybody will care 2or 3 years from now where we picked Smiley in the draft? Because of the Boston signing (which means WR is not a pressing need anymore) and the fact we don't have a 2nd round choice, I think we just step up to the plate and get our guy.

I could live with Andrews or Carey, but Smiley is the safest choice that best fills our need. The only knock on him is a very simple technique flaw that will be easily corrected and he needs to add a little upper body strength. Don't forget he's only a junior. He's just a kid and still growing. He'll naturally fill out, but he's a hard worker and loves the game. He's got the attitude and desire to be an All-Pro.

Give me Jeno James and Justin Smiley on the inside and I'll show you an excellent run and pass blocking O-line.

Back
Top Bottom