smiley vs andrews | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

smiley vs andrews

dodge

Starter
Reaction score
even if we sign randle i'm still a firm believer in getting an olineman with our 1st pick. while i really like andrews and would be ok we get him, but would his selection over smiley really be the better way? first he may not even last till 20 and we may have to trade another pick to move up to get him. 2nd there is the weight issues that will surround him at least for a few years. 3rd will he actually play tackle or will he be moved to guard? now for smiley: we can almost assuredley trade down some and still pick him and ADD a draft choice. only weight issue is adding some muscle up top. 3rd strictly a guard, but if thats where andrews ends up you can compare apples to apples. i'm really liking smiley more and more, the athletic ability to dominate on the 2nd level along with smith and james is very exciting for a lot of long runs by ricky. i really believe that smiley will be the better all around player after all is said and done, plus he could be had for less, making him a great selection. thoughts?????

I think Smiley is the safer choice and fills a big need for us. However, most NFL personnel guys always look for the guy who can play tackle first (tackles are drafted, guards are made). I guess it just depends on how much faith Spielman has in Whitley, McKinney and McIntosh. That's why we're all going a little bit crazy, we just don't know how Wanny and Spielman feel about the guys we've got. For instance, they may believe McKinney is a future All-Pro Center; that being the case they would never draft Jake Grove. If McIntosh really is our RT for the future, then why draft another RT?

Smiley seems the obvious choice, since most of us believe Whitley is not the answer, but taking him at #20 seems high and we don't have a 2nd round choice.

The thinking behind taking Andrews is that if he fails at RT, he can always play RG. With his run blocking ability, I think Andrews is a pretty safe choice at RG as well.

Perhaps, just taking the best available linemen that we have a lot of confidence in is the best way to go.

In a previous post I stated I wouldn't mind starting Whitley. I retract those comments, haha. I want Smiley, dude sounds nice :goof:

I still don't think Andrews will be there for us at 20. But Smiley, Carey, and Snee should be. 20 seems awful high to take a guard. But trading down is a tricky situation. And you have to really know what you'd be happy with.

What I mean is, the further you trade down, the better the pick(s). So #1, we have to know who we'd be satisfied coming away with. #2, we have to accurately predict how far we can drop and still come away with one of "our guys".

as of right now smiley is probably going to be the safer choice and more and likely will end being a better pro. Andrews just has to many question marks about weight and the polyps in his nose. Andrews has kept the weight down but Smiley's overall passion for the game has been well documented so i think he might be more dedicated to the team and game

Well, I have Smiley going to us as our first round pick and I've said that he'll be a probowler and I think Andrews might never be. Other than Gallery, Smiley's imo the best lineman on this draft and I'm not sure that we can trade down very far cos he'll be gone.On the other hand, I also like Evans and think about Evans, CC,Boston,Randy and Ricky all out there at the same time. If we do take Evans then we'd have to hope that a guard will fall to us in the 3rd. I think Snee will be gone and Locklear could be gone too but guards do fall so we could get lucky.

Ozzy rules!!

I doubt an OL as good as Andrews will be there at 20 overall, but if he is I'd take him over Smiley. Both will be good, but I think Andrews suits us best.

Here is my thoughts.

Shawn Andrews could become another Willie Anderson, who I believe is the best right tackle in football right now, or he could become another Aaron Gibson. Chances are, he will be somewhere in between and a similar player to Lincoln Kennedy once he got over his weight issues.

Justin Smiley, right now, reminds me of Will Shields, who is the best guard in football. The upside I see in Smiley is John Hannah, a Hall of Fame offensive guard and perhaps the best guard to ever play the game.

I say go back and look at the tapes and Mckinney plays the guard position like it should be played, I say we trade down and get Grove, put Mckinney at the RG and move on..James, Grove, and Seth in the Middle seems pretty solid to me.

If I had the choice, I'd go with Smiley, but the uncertainty at right tackle makes Andrews very attractive.

Originally posted by MDFINFAN
I say go back and look at the tapes and Mckinney plays the guard position like it should be played, I say we trade down and get Grove, put Mckinney at the RG and move on..James, Grove, and Seth in the Middle seems pretty solid to me.

I think McKinney is a better center than Grove. Grove only has a couple of years experience playing center. He started out as a guard at VT. I think McKinney is a better athlete and gets out on the second level better than Grove. I'd put Grove at guard, because I believe that's his most natural fit. Grove as a guard could be like LeCharles Bentley at guard. Bentley played center at OSU, but he was a little too stiff to be a center in the pros. He's a Pro-Bowl guard now.

Let me add a pro Smiley argument. I read one profile that said Smiley's feet were good enough that in time he might even be able to make the transition to T. I still think I lean towards Andrews, but I'm OK with a Smiley pick.

Originally posted by KBISBACK

I think McKinney is a better center than Grove. Grove only has a couple of years experience playing center. He started out as a guard at VT. I think McKinney is a better athlete and gets out on the second level better than Grove. I'd put Grove at guard, because I believe that's his most natural fit. Grove as a guard could be like LeCharles Bentley at guard. Bentley played center at OSU, but he was a little too stiff to be a center in the pros. He's a Pro-Bowl guard now.

I agree KB. People always seem to over-estimate the ability of draft picks. I prefer a C that can block on the second level and Mckinney is simply better at that than Grove.

Back
Top Bottom