Smith vs. Abraham - Wade vs. Ellis | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Smith vs. Abraham - Wade vs. Ellis

TeeMoney

Kid A
Club Member
Reaction score
How do you guys think these matchups will play out? I think we'll see Smith get a whole lot o' help from Ricky or Konrad. Abraham is the real deal, I think he is about on the level with Taylor/Strahan. Wade should do OK against Ellis, but he's gotta do better on the runs. Last week the outside runs were strung out by the DE's and LB's, if Miami's O-Line doesn't get a push this week, look for Fiedler to have to carry the team upon his pitiful shoulders (don't take that personally) :cry: .

T$

I Think Wades gonna have a better game run-blocking then the last. Hes gotten some game experience, and you cant put enough emphasis on that.

This is the big question this week....can Wade and Wade keep Abraham and Ellis out of the back field consistently....you know they are going to get beat a few times but, you just have to hope that those aren't the really important plays.

Originally posted by FinFan4Life814
I Think Wades gonna have a better game run-blocking then the last. Hes gotten some game experience, and you cant put enough emphasis on that.

Probably not....if anything he may get weaker as the season wears on...his strength is his weakness and I don't think that's going to improve during the season....just be glad that Dixon is going to be healthy when we need him.

This is a really tough game for the OTs. Abraham on Smith is a nightmare on paper. Heck, until we see otherwise, you've gotta think it will be a nightmare on the field. Ellis and Bryan Thomas are also in the Abraham mold. And those are the types of players that give Wade fits (as opposed to the big strong guys who just bull thru him).

It sucks because it forces us to leave McMichael in as a blocker more often....and forces us to go 2 TEs more often as well.....which limits Konrad's reps. As we know, Norv likes to get Konrad involved early in the flats. So this could limit him.

If it were me, I'd do just like the Texans did to us. Quick drops and quick passes. Don't give those DEs a chance to get to us. Get the ball to Chambers and (hopefully) Thompson. Get McMichael on those old, slow LBs. Quick passing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by Muck
This is a really tough game for the OTs. Abraham on Smith is a nightmare on paper. Heck, until we see otherwise, you've gotta think it will be a nightmare on the field. Ellis and Bryan Thomas are also in the Abraham mold. And those are the types of players that give Wade fits (as opposed to the big strong guys who just bull thru him).

It sucks because it forces us to leave McMichael in as a blocker more often....and forces us to go 2 TEs more often as well.....which limits Konrad's reps. As we know, Norv likes to get Konrad involved early in the flats. So this could limit him.

If it were me, I'd do just like the Texans did to us. Quick drops and quick passes. Don't give those DEs a chance to get to us. Get the ball to Chambers and (hopefully) Thompson. Get McMichael on those old, slow TEs. Quick passing.

I thought that Smith could handle the speed rushers better than the bull rushers......am I confused?

You know, I would think R-Mac will have a bad day against the Jets because of the Wade Smith thing but I'm putting a "play" on him for this week. He had a big day against the Jets last year.

Its the Jet linebackers. Mo Lewis, Marvin Jones, and Sam Cowart are ALL a step or two slow. The Jets are working with Sam Garnes at safety, also slow...and Jon McGraw is young, and had his bell rung pretty darn good last week when he tried to make a hit on the Redskins tight end. I honestly think that Norv will make it a real point to get McMichael more involved in the game plan this week because to be completely honest, last year when this team was at its absolute best, it was because R-Mac was getting the ball in the middle of the field opening everything else up.

Last week Robert Royal and Zeron Flemister combined for 3 catches and 30 yards...and this was in Steve Spurrier's practically tight-end-less offense. If the Phins decide to make sure R-Mac gets the ball, he will and I think he'll do really well with it.

Tight End catches honestly in my opinion are like the equivalent in a passing game to running the ball straight up the middle. TE catches and first downs just sap your spirit.

Originally posted by inFINSible
I thought that Smith could handle the speed rushers better than the bull rushers......am I confused?

Smith has a nice strong base. He can anchor pretty well right now. His weakness is strength up top. Where you'll see him get in trouble is with swim moves or when he's chasing a speed guy outside and he gets his hands on him. Smith just isn't strong enough to stay balanced every time. Where I first saw this was in training camp vs JT. You could see him keeping his technique and such. But JT would get him off balance outside and had his way with him when they engaged inside.

"pitiful shoulders", it seems lately Fiedler has putting up 20 points or better on the board, just for the Defense to relinquish leads and loose games, so his shoulders can't be that pitiful.

Plus, in the fourth quarter the defense hasn't gotten off the field in critical situations to give him enough opportunities to make even more plays...

<edited by mod.....Crazy, the namecalling will not be tolerated any longer. That's enough for tonight>

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Wade Smith will do fine against Abraham. Smith is very good at running the defender outside. Fiedler just has to be patient and stay in the pocket and trust Smith when Abraham is behind him.

the way to beat that fast, attacking pass rush are quick screens to Ricky... that should slow their Rush a bit and not make them very aggressive at it... and then you open up the passing game.

Back
Top Bottom