So why wouldn't Marino be new QB coach? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

So why wouldn't Marino be new QB coach?

Fin-Loco

Grilling Chicken Little
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
So now we have Marino.....and then? Obviously he will be an invaluable resource to help us evaluate and lure talent. But what about after the draft is over etc. Norv's serving as QB coach will this be Dan's new position? I can't for the life of me imagine how it couldnt be. Arguably (and I'll flay any Dolphin fan who doesnt agree that he is the absolute best ever) best ever QB to play the game. He knows how to read a defense like no other. How could he not be there during training camp with whatever QB we lure away?

well we have to take baby steps first... having marino where he is right now is great for me. i am sure he can give his .02 cents to the quarterbacks without being their coach. i think we need his talents more on personnel and management than QB coach. we need a good QB first. ;)

Originally posted by RICKYSABEAST
So now we have Marino.....and then? Obviously he will be an invaluable resource to help us evaluate and lure talent. But what about after the draft is over etc. Norv's serving as QB coach will this be Dan's new position? I can't for the life of me imagine how it couldnt be. Arguably (and I'll flay any Dolphin fan who doesnt agree that he is the absolute best ever) best ever QB to play the game. He knows how to read a defense like no other. How could he not be there during training camp with whatever QB we lure away?

I don't see how you can assume that being a great QB automatically makes you a great QB coach. Personally, I doubt he would be very good. He was an instinctual player and usually those guys aren't as good at coaching as the the less talented more film study types. Also reading a D was not his strength. He struggled in college and even in the pros he often threw to guys that were covered when other guys were open. I asked him about it once and he said he didn't even look at the RB on PA fakes b/c he needed the extra time to read the D. I've also heard him say in interviews that he wouldn't make a very good coach b/c he lacks patience.

Re: Re: So why wouldn't Marino be new QB coach?

Originally posted by rafael

I I've also heard him say in interviews that he wouldn't make a very good coach b/c he lacks patience.
Bingo.....Lot's of great players have a very low tolerance for mediocrity.....It's probably because they don't understand it.

Fortunately, that same trait might make him a great executive, as he seems like the kind of guy that will bust balls if people aren't doing their job.

I like him right where he is.:D

I think Marino would make a good QB coach. I remember in '99 when Huard was filling in for Marino, inbetween possessions Dan was bending his ear telling him what to do and what to look for. I'm pretty sure that's why Huard was 5-1 filling in for him.

Nah.

I think the reason the team went 5-1 with Huard at the helm is because they used Marino as a crutch. The team knew that if they fell behind, Marino could bail them out. Without Marino, the team knew they had to pull together and not let up any.

When you play with a legend like Dan, you have a tendancy to use his legend as a crutch. It's somewhat similar to Miami's current defense. They have so many good players that it looks like, at times, that players feel that if they don't make a play, so and so will.

Alright I also believe Dan the man Marino is the best QB of all time. I think he should also help with the QB position, especially if we get Eli Manning, Marino could turn manning into a stud in no time. Marino loves the mannings and already believes that his brother peyton is the best qb in the nfl right now. So why would he want to help coach his brother? Marino must groom the new rookie Qb and Eli should be the only QB we go for. Bottom line

I partially agree with that. PEYTON MANNING is a great qb. I think it is unheard of as of yet that two siblings can perform to that caliber in the pro's. Look at Tiki Barber and Ronde. They take turns being average. I am hesitant to see the Phins use a draft pick based solely on his brothers success in the pros. Granted, the kid is a stud in College but we'll see how old Eli does.

Originally posted by RICKYSABEAST

I can't, for the life of me, think of a reason why he would be the QB coach considering his current position. If you understood the duties and responsibilities that are inherent with an executive title you would realize that Dan will have little or no time to do anything along the lines of coaching. In fact, if Dan were to work as QB coach it would only lend credence to the notion that he is only a figurehead VP who has no real purpose within the executive ranks of the organization.

Wrong. Bob Griese would be a far better QB coach than Marino. Griese was not that talented but really really really had great mechanics and his decision making was fantastic. Marino was good but not quite as good as Griese in those two categories.

Fellas, of the previous Dolphins quarterbacks, Don Strock is the best quarterbacks coach. A lot of Dan Marino's development can be attributed to the things Strock did with him as his back up.

The question is, would Strock leave his position as FIU's head coach to become the QB coach with Miami?

Originally posted by Jaj
Wrong. Bob Griese would be a far better QB coach than Marino. Griese was not that talented but really really really had great mechanics and his decision making was fantastic. Marino was good but not quite as good as Griese in those two categories.

In a way, I agree with ya there. Obviously, you can't coach "smarts". If you've been around long enough to remember Bob though, you know that there has never been another QB whose *intelligence* was so apparent from his play. It was really odd. Damned that was a good QB. Honestly, it's a tough decision for me as to whether I liked Bob or Dan better, with all respect due to Dan being the greatest passer that ever walked this earth.

The pay grade for quarterback coaches is navel lint compared to what Dan was making in television. I bet Dan probably took a little bit of a pay cut to join the front office.

Back
Top Bottom