Some encouraging opinions about Miami draftees | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Some encouraging opinions about Miami draftees

Dude c'mon..Pape may turn out to be a steal but I don't think we drafted him for a starting role this year. We brought in a lot of FAs to compete for that RT or RG spot.

Danny said:
I think that Pape and Carey are both better at RT than at RG.But Carey can play guard better than Pape imo and I don't want a 6'7 guard blocking the trowing lanes so if we're gonna get these 2 guys starting at the same time then Carey would have to play RG and I think that'd give us the best 5 guys along with Smith,James and Seth.

Ozzy rules!!
You want the guy with the best feet and lateral movement at tackle and between Carey and Pape, that would certainly be Carey. Pape isn't 6'7", only 6'6" :) but his height really wouldn't be a problem at guard, think about Kevin Gogan who was easily as tall as Pape and he went to a few Pro Bowls as a guard. Also, Carey is 6043, or 6'4 and 3/8s". Do you really think that 1 and 5/8s", the amount of height that Pape has on Carey would really make an appreciable amount of difference when it comes to obstructing the QB's vision of the throwing lanes?

ckparrothead said:
thats real cool...got some good guys....i think will poole is just inconsistent in press, because some guys evaluate him as a cover 2 zone guy not good at press, others evaluate him as a good press bump n run basically designed for miami's system. To mea that means he's just inconsistent, has the ability needs to learn the technique or be consistent not get flustered.

5 game stretch not allowing a single reception. Phenomenal.

Lets hope Carey fulfills his potential at RT not RG.

all i know is that he plays the position with authority and tackles way better than terrell buckley could ever think of doing. he causes fumbles. he looked like antwan winfield except better press coverage. he needs to play good press cus he is a little slower once beat.

erralyn said:
Dude c'mon..Pape may turn out to be a steal but I don't think we drafted him for a starting role this year. We brought in a lot of FAs to compete for that RT or RG spot.

well i dont think we were planning on drafting him until he dropped as far as he did. then they realized he would be a perfect G for us and he has the intelligence and toughness to actually give us some starting ability. we will see. im sure they had him in the back of their minds since he fit. once again, a guy who can play G or T.

dolphanjo said:
any of these guys agents know for holding out? Nothin kills me as a fan more thank rooks holdin out

Really...how about GMs who are trying to lowball rooks because they are rooks?

KBISBACK said:
ck,

In the cover 2, the corners press at the line. The main difference between Miami's style and the cover 2 style of the Buccaneers is that the Bucs don't ask their corners to play man. So, at about 7-10 yards in the cover 2, the corner will release the receiver and the safety picks him up. The corner's responsibility is then the flats. That's in the cover 2 zone.

In Miami's cover 2 man under, the corners play man on the outside receivers, and the outside linebackers play man in the flats. The corners don't release off the receiver unless they are instinctively jumping a route ahead of them. In both schemes, the safeties have the over the top deep half responsibility.

I think the reports of these guys that think Poole will be a cover 2 zone guy are based on his poor showing in the forty, and they don't think he can turn and run with the receiver.

Thanks KB. Great stuff. :cool:

That all sounds great. Do you have a link? I would like to read the whole article. It sounds like an interesting read.

KB, where do the Bucs LB's play in their scheme? You said Miamis LB's cover the flats while their DB's press the outside receivers. In the Bucs scheme the Safeties play the flats. So where does that leave their LB's? To rush the QB and stay close to the LOS?

Thanks,

what is it about that big guards 6´6 are in the throwing lanes...jamie nails....anyone ???

I think Pape will surprise people alot of people come training camp.

Not enough speed at as a 4.5er? I thought the same thing when we took Sam and Pat cause they are mid 4.5 guys themselves...sound technique translates the 4.5 speed as we see week to week out of our guys. I have not seen Poole play but if he is as good as I read, his speed will be just fine...4D

Pape has no shot of ever starting for a good team at RT. He simply does not have the feet.

He's a guard plain and simple. He has the strength and the size, so if he gets his technique down he'll do good things for us.

Should have taken Abney with one of our 7ths though.

Poole=Surtain IMO.

They are both guys who are physical, fairly big for corners, known for their strength instead of their speed (mid-4.5's) and they both tackle well for corners.

Surtain has a bad knee that I think will cut his career short.

Poole and Howard may be our starters in two to three years. (Howard maybe even in one)

Back
Top Bottom