Some interesting names amongst the cuts... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Some interesting names amongst the cuts...

Predaphin

Predator in the Water
Reaction score
Interesting names on the waiver wire ...

QB Neil O'Donnell
QB Danny Wuerffel
QB Tim Hasselbeck

RB Lamar Smith
RB Chris Fuamatu-Ma'afala
RB Robert Edwards
RB Travis Prentice
RB Ki-Jana Carter
RB Cecil Sapp
RB Ken Simonton
FB Cecil Martin
FB Charles Stackhouse
FB Greg Comella

WR Dedric Ward
WR Daryl Jones
WR JaJuan Dawson
WR Snoop Minnis
WR MarTay Jenkins
WR Charles Lee
WR Donald Hayes
WR Ken-Yon Rambo
WR Danny Farmer
WR Talman Gardner
WR Kareem Kelly
WR Herb Haygood

TE David Sloan
TE Tony McGee
TE Darnell Dinkins

C Frank Winters
OT "Big Cat" Williams
OT Richmond Webb
OT Ben Johnson
OT Robert Hicks
OG Melvin Paige

DT Joe Salave'a
DT Langston Moore
DE Marco Coleman
DE Aaron Hunt
DE Lorenzo Bromell
DE Grant Irons

LB Mike Caldwell
LB Steve Foley
LB Armegis Spearman
LB Reinard Wilson

CB Roosevelt Williams
CB Hank Poteat

S Lamont Thompson
S Rashard Cook

Last edited by a moderator:
fixed it...thanx.

Id love to see LB Steve Foley in a Phins uniform!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
You left out WR Marc Lester of the Ravens too.

But we think alike, I just posted a thread with most notable cuts with some commentary.

I'll delete my thread, yours is more organized. So I'm copying my commentary into this thread.

Buck Gurley was a DT in camp for us one year, went to the Buccaneers and he's notable to me because he really adopted the whole Bucs attitude toward the Dolphins like when we practiced against each other and stuff. Supposedly he was a real d!ck and I just find it funny he's not even a Buc anymore.

Marc Lester, MarTay Jenkins, and Charles Lee are guys I had hoped would be cut about a month ago before Sam Simmons made his meteoric rise through the depth charts. Simmons I feel has levelled off a bit where it concerns his receiving, but he's still a good special teamer. Marc Lester is a big guy at 6'5" and was probably the most talented WR in NFL Europe this season. He and Robert Baker formed a great pair with the Frankfurt Galaxy and they were both big reasons why they won the world bowl. Everyone on the board was talkin about Robert Baker, but when I watched the Galaxy play, my eyes were naturally drawn to Lester who was just plain better than Baker. Sorry, it was not because Lester had a good game. He had more catches and more yards than Baker over the course of the season, he's bigger, and the guy was obviously option #1a to Baker's #1b...and you could see this just by watching the offense. He was, to the Galaxy offense, what Eric Moulds was to the Bills offense. Anyway...MarTay Jenkins is a real speedster, all the talent in the world but with HORRIBLE hands and concentration. He's cut and there's gonna be a LOT of teams sniffing around him. Charles Lee I just saw play in the Bucs-Jets game and the guy is talented as all heck. He needs to put it together and be consistent, but he's big and this guy just embarrassed the heck out of long-time starter Aaron Beasley of the Jets...and I do mean embarrassed. Anyway, with Simmons and Tolver...no WR cut is worthy of note to the Dolphins. Unfortunately. Would be nice to have one of these guys on the psquad though...I know I'd take them above Kendall Newson.

Marco Coleman and Lorenzo Brommell...former Dolphin passrushers who we could possibly bring back. Otis Grigsby has a great build though and he's proved he can get after the QB so this decision is REAL hard...I'm not sure we can hide Grigsby by cutting him and putting him on the Psquad. If you remember, we lost out on another passrusher with potential and a great body by trying that...another Otis in fact...Otis Leverette. He went to the Skins, didn't play much, and now he's on the Chargers. He hasn't done much but at the time we were very disappointed to lose Leverette and regretting it A LOT, and I don't want the same thing happening to the guy who reminds me more of Jason Taylor than even David Bowens does...Otis Grigsby. But Jay Williams and Rob Burnett can play DT as well as DE...maybe Dario Romero gone? Or maybe Rob Burnett gets an injury settlement....

Jim Flanigan and Joe Saleve'a are two guys I would probably rather have than Dario Romero at DT. I'm not convinced Dario is really going to improve at all...and both the other guys have plenty of experience.

Mike Caldwell and Armegis Spearman are guys who probably shouldn't have been released at LB. Spearman signed an RFA offer sheet with the Packers earlier and told the Bengals not to match. Well the Bengals did match it, and now they are cutting him. Packers would probably scoop him right up but...Mike Caldwell is a talented linebacker who is already fielding calls from several good teams like the Raiders and I believe Packers. Honestly with the injury to Eddie Moore, I don't see why we don't put in a call too especially with our penchant for Chicago players. I know the Brothers Ayanbadejo is a good story, but I don't trust Brendan Ayanbadejo as a primary backup at OLB along with Crash Jenkins who is as raw as they come. With Crash he makes plays, but he's not consistent and he'll have lapses...big lapses, big lapses that lead to big plays. And a big play can change a whole game. Steve Foley is also an experienced linebacker who can play.

Nick "Sunshine" Sorenson is a guy we had in training camp like two years ago. He was an all-around utility guy, a former QB trying to play Safety and Special Teams. He was so talented, he made it very very hard for us to cut him. He caught on with the Rams and made like 24 special teams tackles but they never gave him a real shot to play safety. He was definitely a better safety project than McGarrahan but McG was coming off a real standout year as a Special Teams ace. Now, Sorenson has turned into a special teams demon himself. Everyone calls him "Sunshine" but lets not forget that it was his Miami teammates who originally dubbed him "Sunshine" as he was very popular. If the Phins would seriously consider bringing back McG, I would prefer it be Sorenson instead but that is a big IF. There are a lot of Rams coaches who are very upset that Martz traded the Colts for Rich Coady and then got rid of Sorenson...coaches love Sunshine and they have gone on record saying there are not 53 guys on the Rams roster that are better than Sunshine.

The other guys I highlighted are mostly just former Dolphins, notable guys like former first round pick DE Reinard Wilson, or jabs at division opponents like Marcus Jones, Michael Thompson, and Jamil Soriano.

Hank Poteat is a guy I thought the Steelers were not going to tender as RFA this year, and I still think he's completely miscast in their soft zone as his strengths are press coverage and man to man. I was considering him as a possible replacement for Jamar, but Jamar's had a few more "ups" this offseason than "downs" and if the 5th CB spot goes to ANYONE it should be Alphonso Roundtree who is now on the practice squad.

Originally posted by ckparrothead
You left out WR Marc Lester of the Ravens too.

But we think alike, I just posted a thread with most notable cuts with some commentary.

I'll delete my thread, yours is more organized. So I'm copying my commentary into this thread.

sure, id like to see your input.....i think theres some guys that would beat out our practice squad guys.

How did Chris Fuamatu-Ma'afala get cut? I remember him being decent in Pittsburgh, he isn't a guy I would expect on the waiver wire.

I figured Caldwell would get snatched up fast. Panthers, Raiders, and I think the Packers were after him.

Nice job on both the list and the analysis. Now that's what I call a team effort.

I liked Lester too. I'm mildly surprised about both he and Lee being cut. Just reminds us that we are not the only ones that have to make some very tough calls.

Back
Top Bottom