Some interesting Tannehill stats from last season | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Some interesting Tannehill stats from last season

I don 't understand why it's so hard to admit that he did not throw an accurate deep ball his first couple years in the league. He has gotten much better at it and it's awesome to see his game continuously being refined year after year. Coming out of college it was blatantly obvious his deep ball needed a lot of work. The same logic you used as to why Tannehill has always been a good deep thrower was used when we acquired Mike Wallace and people refused to believe his hands sucked because he had a super low drop rate the season prior. Stats are important but ultimately don't tell the whole story.
i agree w this. He seems to have improved dramatically in this area. Though, to be fair, who could throw a deep ball to Brian Tartline, Devon Bess or Gibson (forgot his first name)?

I don 't understand why it's so hard to admit that he did not throw an accurate deep ball his first couple years in the league.

probably because we dont agree with that. most his long ball "problems" were lack of time from OL, and inconsistent WRs who a lot of us KNEW he didnt trust.

theres a difference between RT not completing a large % of deep passes and RT not being able to throw a good deep ball.

a BIG difference!

I don 't understand why it's so hard to admit that he did not throw an accurate deep ball his first couple years in the league. He has gotten much better at it and it's awesome to see his game continuously being refined year after year. Coming out of college it was blatantly obvious his deep ball needed a lot of work. The same logic you used as to why Tannehill has always been a good deep thrower was used when we acquired Mike Wallace and people refused to believe his hands sucked because he had a super low drop rate the season prior. Stats are important but ultimately don't tell the whole story.
I guess for the same reason it's so hard for you to admit he threw a good deep ball his rookie season until we signed Wallace to be his deep ball go to guy.

I guess for the same reason it's so hard for you to admit he threw a good deep ball his rookie season until we signed Wallace to be his deep ball go to guy.

He didn't, if you look at his deep ball trajectory / placement it was wildly inconsistent his first couple years. This past year his deep ball was much more consistent and accurate than it had ever been in his career. It's okay to admit a guy who only played 18 games in college wasn't great at something right off the bat. The guy RARELY went deep in college.

To your point, he completed wayyyy more deep balls with Wallace on the team than he ever had without him.

By "in the air for 20 or more yards" do they mean in the air for 20 or more yards or 20 yards downfield from the LOS?

He didn't, if you look at his deep ball trajectory / placement it was wildly inconsistent his first couple years. This past year his deep ball was much more consistent and accurate than it had ever been in his career. It's okay to admit a guy who only played 18 games in college wasn't great at something right off the bat. The guy RARELY went deep in college.

To your point, he completed wayyyy more deep balls with Wallace on the team than he ever had without him.

From an old man's memory, it seems I read long pass completion % to Wallace (1st yr) was ~30%. To all other receivers, 40-45%.

I don't think many people are arguing Tannehill does not have the physical ability. 64% completion rate is great but does he take enough chances down the field when we need it? So he ranked 4th in completion %, what was his rank on # of attempts?

I don't think many people are arguing Tannehill does not have the physical ability. 64% completion rate is great but does he take enough chances down the field when we need it? So he ranked 4th in completion %, what was his rank on # of attempts?

See post #15

Article from May of 2016.

It’s hard to find anyone who will defend the 27-year old’s ability to throw the ball deep downfield. It’s something I wrote about before last season, when I expected the Dolphins’ new pieces outside to significantly improve his statistical output. Tannehill had been a good deep passer up until that point of his career, but Wallace’s inability to track or catch the ball and Hartline’s inability to get open downfield prevented people from realizing that.

Because we light a fuse on quarterbacks and expect them to prove themselves to us immediately, last season was treated as a make-or-break season for Tannehill’s deep ball. Wallace and Hartline were gone, replaced by players who had proven themselves to be quality deep receivers.

The problem was that those additions didn’t live up to their bloated expectations.

In the below chart, every quarterback who attempted at least 250 attempts plus Colin Kaepernick are featured. The chart has been created from the Quarterback Catalogue charting and it tallies numbers for throws from each quarterback where the ball traveled at least 20 yards past the line of scrimmage. Ryan Tannehill ranks fifth.
http://presnapreads.com/2016/03/24/the-mike-wallace-effect-deep-ball-accuracy-and-ryan-tannehill/

Article written in August of 2015 showing the perfectly placed deep ball passes that were dropped by Dolphin receivers...not just Wallace who dropped a lot of perfectly thrown passes.

Throughout his career, Wallace's value on offense has been primarily based on his incredible straight-line speed. He has never boasted above-average ball skills or precise route running. His speed has allowed him to create separation because defensive backs can't cover him even when overplaying deep routes. With the Steelers, Wallace was competent and consistent catching the ball when open. His consistency began to wane even before he signed with the Dolphins in free agency. Once in Miami, Wallace's skills -- and often his effort -- became a major problem.

1_lnkv6lh6_4a5aaklc.gif

From the first week of the season, in a game against the New England Patriots, Wallace's lack of instinct cost Tannehill significant yardage. On this play, he runs an impressive double move route after play action to beat Darrelle Revis. Wallace is wide open down the sideline and Tannehill throws the ball ahead of him for him to run through it. Although Wallace catches the ball, his footwork pulls him out of bounds. It initially looks like Tannehill's ball placement may have led him out of bounds, but the end zone angle allows for a better view.
http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/142017354/ryan-tannehill-training-camp-reviews-true

Back
Top Bottom