Some News From Texas | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Some News From Texas

PhinKev

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
There was an interesting article in a Texas paper. Gary Walker DT may not play. That should help in the rushing department.

Seth McKinney's brother, the starting center for the Texans, had some interesting things to say.

"This will be the 11th time I've played against Miami," said McKinney, who came to the Texans from the Colts last year. "Their defense hasn't changed in the last eight years, so I pretty much know what to expect. They're going to line up in a 4-3 and basically say, `We think our front seven is better than your front seven.'

"That's how they play defense. They don't try to trick you and move around a lot."

Hmm.... If we really do add some wrinkles, we are really going to surprise some people.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/2077190

This year is going to be a great year for our Defense.

Nobody has seen anything different come out of Miami for years now. Guess they finally figured out full blown talent isn't gonna work anymore ;).

Originally posted by PhinKev
This will be the 11th time I've played against Miami, said McKinney, who came to the Texans from the Colts last year. Their defense hasn't changed in the last eight years, so I pretty much know what to expect. They're going to line up in a 4-3 and basically say, `We think our front seven is better than your front seven.'

Everytime I see this kinda statement.. I wonder what gives... Is Jim Bates really that stupid that he couldnt foresee the predictable defense?? or is it that he was so stubborn he refused to wrinkle his defense.. or maybe the players are not bright enough to alter their play with wrinkles..

I know this year we have been promised those different looks on defense.. but I have to ask.......... why is it that all those highly paid, so call proffesionals waited until this year to make any type of substantial change to the defensive scheme??

Or maybe Bates thinks since we have the 3rd ranked D in the NFL (#1 in the AFC) last year, why try to fix what's not broken. I doubt even this year you will notice any substantial changes. Maybe the LB's in a little zone and Seau blitz once in awhile.

Originally posted by XoPhinsoX
This year is going to be a great year for our Defense.

Nobody has seen anything different come out of Miami for years now. Guess they finally figured out full blown talent isn't gonna work anymore ;).

yeah that lost step of seau's should really shine with him coming at every angle. i think alot of teams are in for a surprise. i think the jets will not be though as they respect our defense and edwards said as much last year when he said we were the best defense they faced all year no question.

the new wrinkles will make people cringe, including ron jaworski.

Originally posted by Phin73
Or maybe Bates thinks since we have the 3rd ranked D in the NFL (#1 in the AFC) last year, why try to fix what's not broken. I doubt even this year you will notice any substantial changes. Maybe the LB's in a little zone and Seau blitz once in awhile.

well, i guess you are in for a surpise as well. they have been dropping hints that they have alot of plays where seau and JT will be screwing with defenses all day. if youhave also noticed, JT has been playing both sides of the ball with more frequency. LDE/RDE.

Maybe you should go back to the 2nd Bills game, the Minn, and NE. game, and then try to tell me what's not broken, you're looking purely at stats, and the reality of a D, that can't get off the field in crunch time. And I agree with you, we won't stick with the winkles. But Seau will blitz more, since he's pretty good at it.

Originally posted by finfan54

well, i guess you are in for a surpise as well. they have been dropping hints that they have alot of plays where seau and JT will be screwing with defenses all day. if youhave also noticed, JT has been playing both sides of the ball with more frequency. LDE/RDE.

We'll see JT going back into coverage once in a while too. Especially if a Seau blitz gets to their Qb, or disrupts some running plays. You can bet teams will be thinking that while He blitzes the outside will be open.

Sounds like a compliment. He isnt the first to say that, we have been doing that for years, they said that about Jimmys offense in Dallas and with Parcells offense, we are gonna shove the run down your throat and you stop us, we do the same thing just on defense, here we are you try to beat us, but this year it will be different, and its gonna be sweet. Let them game plan for our man to man coverage cause when we are sitting in cover 2 and taking those balls out of the air, it will make offenses even harder to plan for us, they will have to think, will miami go with the old defense or the new defense or both?

Originally posted by MDFINFAN

Maybe you should go back to the 2nd Bills game, the Minn, and NE. game, and then try to tell me what's not broken, you're looking purely at stats, and the reality of a D, that can't get off the field in crunch time. And I agree with you, we won't stick with the winkles. But Seau will blitz more, since he's pretty good at it.

I tend to agree with MD here. The ranking is great, but if you watched us over the last few years, we have real problems when teams start to figure it out against us. It just doesn't seem like we have a plan B when the our 7 is better than your seven isn't working real well.

I hope they do mix it up some, but that has its own set of risks as well.

I think Bates realises he has to throw some curve balls to opponents this season. I have to say as predictable as Bates defense is/was its at least successful, You guys remember 2 years ago with Gailey as O coach an everyone could predict the play before the 2 teams lined up. He had a predictable offense but it just was plain awful.

All I'm putting out there is that I think expecting wholesale changes to the best Def. in the Conf. last season is a tad outlandish. I was just going with what Bates might have thought about his very successfull Def. I'd take our Def. wrinkles or not before anybody else in the AFC. JT has flip-flopped before remember the "cobra" position they tried with him. Whatever works, I'm not against the switch-ups, just don't plan on seeing exotic defenses in miami this year. I think we'll all be seeing alot more vanilla than any other flavors this year,.

All I'm putting out there is that I think expecting wholesale changes to the best Def. in the Conf. last season is a tad outlandish. I was just going with what Bates might have thought about his very successfull Def. I'd take our Def. wrinkles or not before anybody else in the AFC. JT has flip-flopped before remember the "cobra" position they tried with him. Whatever works, I'm not against the switch-ups, just don't plan on seeing exotic defenses in miami this year. I think we'll all be seeing alot more vanilla than any other flavors this year,.

I don't disagree with you. We are really talking about a question of degree. A defense has to keep the offense confused or at the very least uncomfortable. If we can do that with a vanilla scheme, great. But we have to be prepared to show some different looks and blitzes against the good teams, or we will get beaten again. No one's defense can do the same thing all the time and win.

"I don't disagree with you. We are really talking about a question of degree. A defense has to keep the offense confused or at the very least uncomfortable. If we can do that with a vanilla scheme, great. But we have to be prepared to show some different looks and blitzes against the good teams, or we will get beaten again. No one's defense can do the same thing all the time and win."

Agreed 100%
:D

Back
Top Bottom