Some News From Texas | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Some News From Texas

Originally posted by Phin73
"I don't disagree with you. We are really talking about a question of degree. A defense has to keep the offense confused or at the very least uncomfortable. If we can do that with a vanilla scheme, great. But we have to be prepared to show some different looks and blitzes against the good teams, or we will get beaten again. No one's defense can do the same thing all the time and win."

Agreed 100%
:D

That made for a lousy argument didn't it .

:mdfin:

Some news from Miami...

We're gonna crush you guys so bad that our 3rd stringers will open the can of whoop-***!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Argggggg!!!!

Have you guys looked at the texan's forum.......80% of them are picking the texans lol the rest live in reality..........lol

Originally posted by PhinKev

I tend to agree with MD here. The ranking is great, but if you watched us over the last few years, we have real problems when teams start to figure it out against us. It just doesn't seem like we have a plan B when the our 7 is better than your seven isn't working real well.

I hope they do mix it up some, but that has its own set of risks as well.

Sometimes Stats lie. Our road Defense is when these wrinkles need to come in. I don't think there's as much need to be flashy at home. And each game should dictate something different by Bates. Vinny should be played differently than Brady. Thats a big part of Bates problem is he does the same think to every team. You know what would be great. If Bates D play sheet was like Dan Reeves O with a big list of plays and lots of different looks and blitz packages.

Houston fans just do't realize what a homefield advantage we have with our defense. I think that I read somewhere thatwe gave up an average of 212 yds/game at home last year. Once our crowd gets behind the D they're just off the chain!

I liken our defense to a power pitcher in baseball. A flamethrower will try to get you out with the fast ball everytime. Pretty much saying , " Here it is. Let us see if you can catch up with it." Well eventually a player ( or team in this case) will start to notice the tendancies and start making adjustments to that pitcher (defense). Soon enough, balls are getting smacked all over the place (sounds painful for us guys).

However now, this Flamethrowing pitcher, has a nasty curve he can fall back on too. So when the team starts thinking fastball, they get frozen by the curve. With Seau blitzing bing that curve, I think the last thing you want to be is frozen in the box right?

I read recently that Taylor is going to be lining up opposite of where Seau is on the field. That way when Seasu blitzes and Taylor rushes the QB, teams have to pick their poison. Either have a double team on Taylor and let Seau or another linemen, come in untouched, or keep a runningback/tight end in, which can hinder their passing game by eliminating key recievers.

In Theory, this defense should be very strong, as long as we execute it properly.

Ya know, when I read through this thread I get a sense of Deja Vu. Does anyone else get the feeling that we have been here before. It seems like since the days of Tom Olivadotti we have been trying to get the defense to be more aggressive and throw some different looks at the offense. every year coaches say it will be different. I even remember Jimmy saying that we were going to zone blitz, which I can't really remember us doing much.

I hope this is the year that we get it right, but I don't know.

Back
Top Bottom