Some Observations | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Some Observations

SF Dolphin Fan

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
After watching the senior bowl here are some observations. Cedric Griffin is definitely a guy I'd like to see in Miami's secondary, a big physical corner and a likely 2nd rounder. Jean Gillis (sp) -- the OG from Georgia is a monster. He looked like the most dominating guy on either line, certainly in the run game. If Miami wants to be a smashmouth team he's a guy to look for. Jonathan Scott still remains one of my favorite LT prospects and would be a nice addition at #16, depending how the draft falls. Shockley and Robinson will not play qb in the NFL and Hackney might end up going undrafted. Jackson, the smallish linebacker from Maryland, would be a great eventual replacement for Zach Thomas. Really like this guy. Watson remains intriguing at DT and faced almost constant double-teamming in the game. A sleeper pick for Saban who really needs a young NT with talent. Moss looked like the best wr, getting separation with ease. Overall, the wide outs looks disappointing -- Hagen especially. I remain impressed with Byrd (sp), the TE from USC. I saw Jay Cutler for the first time and he had a down game. Made some great throws, certainly has the arm strength, but made some really bad decisions as well. Croyle continues to impress. He knows where to go with the ball. Whitehurst remains a sleeper pick, a guy with a lot of talent who could certainly benefit from better coaching.

just my 2 cents

Sir, I agree with everything you said excluding the D'qwell Jackson comment. I absoluetly LOVE Cedrick Griffen as a player. Versatile (S/CB), that is a hitter(different from physical because he never played man up on the line consistantly) and can cover...perfect for this system of DB's. Jackson jumps out but if you look closer (and I do) he likes to chase plays and tackle from angles...very seldom does he "get physical" and tackle head on....smart if your undersized...but not good in the NFL.. I watch a TON of college games (particularly ACC and SEC) and Jean Gilles IS a monster..... when he wants it....he takes plays off. He saw the $$$$ on the table and played like he CAN...now when he signs that big fat contract will he want it as much?????? Scott was very good and can play in space very well...almost like a guard, but he is so darn big that he is a tackle and a pretty good one IMO. The guy from the AL Star game that I never seen play before that impressed me was Daryn Colledge. He is a little light and almost looks thin but he has a nice wide first step to the outside and is quick enough to cut off the inside move as a pass protector. He also got suprisngly good movement in the running game...I would watch this guy climb.......

SF Dolphin Fan said:
Cedric Griffin is definitely a guy I'd like to see in Miami's secondary, a big physical corner and a likely 2nd rounder. Jean Gillis (sp) -- the OG from Georgia is a monster. He looked like the most dominating guy on either line, certainly in the run game. If Miami wants to be a smashmouth team he's a guy to look for. Jonathan Scott still remains one of my favorite LT prospects and would be a nice addition at #16, depending how the draft falls. Shockley and Robinson will not play qb in the NFL and Hackney might end up going undrafted. Jackson, the smallish linebacker from Maryland, would be a great eventual replacement for Zach Thomas. Really like this guy. Watson remains intriguing at DT and faced almost constant double-teamming in the game. A sleeper pick for Saban who really needs a young NT with talent. Moss looked like the best wr, getting separation with ease. Overall, the wide outs looks disappointing -- Hagen especially. I remain impressed with Byrd (sp), the TE from USC. I saw Jay Cutler for the first time and he had a down game. Made some great throws, certainly has the arm strength, but made some really bad decisions as well. Croyle continues to impress. He knows where to go with the ball. Whitehurst remains a sleeper pick, a guy with a lot of talent who could certainly benefit from better coaching.

my 2 cents said:
Sir, I agree with everything you said excluding the D'qwell Jackson comment. I absoluetly LOVE Cedrick Griffen as a player. Versatile (S/CB), that is a hitter(different from physical because he never played man up on the line consistantly) and can cover...perfect for this system of DB's. Jackson jumps out but if you look closer (and I do) he likes to chase plays and tackle from angles...very seldom does he "get physical" and tackle head on....smart if your undersized...but not good in the NFL.. I watch a TON of college games (particularly ACC and SEC) and Jean Gilles IS a monster..... when he wants it....he takes plays off. He saw the $$$$ on the table and played like he CAN...now when he signs that big fat contract will he want it as much?????? Scott was very good and can play in space very well...almost like a guard, but he is so darn big that he is a tackle and a pretty good one IMO. The guy from the AL Star game that I never seen play before that impressed me was Daryn Colledge. He is a little light and almost looks thin but he has a nice wide first step to the outside and is quick enough to cut off the inside move as a pass protector. He also got suprisngly good movement in the running game...I would watch this guy climb.......

Do you view Griffin as a 2nd rounder and, if so, can Miami get him mid-second? Agree on Colledge and wouldn't doubt if he ends up in the 2nd round. I'll take your word for it with Jackson since this is the only time I've seen him. Lawson also looked pretty good, but did a lot of chasing. Hali, from Penn State, looks like a player as well.

Personally I think Griffen is a 46-65 player which is mid to late second.
In my opinion for what it is worth because I have not seen all of these guys play and am relying on "spot games" and what I have read some....but I try to rely on more of what I have actually seen with my own eyes, I rate the CB's this way:

J. Williams-Nice size and versatile.perfect fit
T. Hill-Cover guy, but short...185-190 though.
A. Youbouty-Playing in that D(great up front guys) always makes me leary of cover skills.
A. Cromartie-depending on his med's.....but enough risk he will slide into 35-50 IMO.
D. Webb-great ball skills, but not physical enough for NS I bet.
C. Griffen-perfect fit
W. Blackmon-Very down on him and he better run a heck of a time or he will slide way down..toasted in AS game twice and did not look very physical.
A. Zematis-Solid but not great at any one thing. Good speed from my readings, but I did not see it watching him
C. Gordon, Grambling-have not seen enough but reads like a prospect (return guy also).
R. Marshall-ditto but better size than Gordon
C. Gordon-Kansas-disspointing year but highly ranked before season...need to watch him more.
D. Minter- a solid cover guy that does not play at 4.4 but seems to get it done no matter what he is asked to do..a good fit IMO

Two guy I like down the line (probably because I have seen them more) are Rueben Houston of Ga. Tech and Ronnie Prude of LSU. Prude just covers everyone and looks like he is as fast as he needs to be. Houston has some character issues but can cover and looks like he might like to mix it up a bit. He definetly plays at 4.5 or so....curious as to what he times if he is invited to the combine....

SF Dolphin Fan said:
Do you view Griffin as a 2nd rounder and, if so, can Miami get him mid-second? Agree on Colledge and wouldn't doubt if he ends up in the 2nd round. I'll take your word for it with Jackson since this is the only time I've seen him. Lawson also looked pretty good, but did a lot of chasing. Hali, from Penn State, looks like a player as well.

Back
Top Bottom