Some Of Dolphins’ Past Veteran Pickups Were Flops. Here’s Why They Think That Will Change | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Some Of Dolphins’ Past Veteran Pickups Were Flops. Here’s Why They Think That Will Change

AL R

Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
Of the Dolphins’ veteran pickups that didn’t pan out in recent years, there was a common theme: The players were on their third or fourth contracts, past their prime, and either soon turning 30 or on the backside of that age.

Lawrence Timmons, Julius Thomas, Arian Foster, Mario Williams and Nate Allen all fit into that category. All arrived with high hopes. None fulfilled expectations.

So why did the Dolphins go out this offseason and sign a 35-year-old in Frank Gore and two 32-year-olds in Josh Sitton and Danny Amendola?

In these particular cases, the Dolphins diligently studied their 2017 seasons, speaking to people who worked with them, and emerged with credible information and compelling data to convince them that all three are still productive performers, not past-their-prime players.

http://amp.miamiherald.com/sports/s...ticle215423865.html?__twitter_impression=true

Be nice if we got some production from these acquisitions for once.

Last edited:
I could have sworn gore finished a season in the last 2 on ir. Must have got him mixed up with some other colt.

Not missed a game in 7 years wow.

I wouldn't put nate Allen on the list of disappointments I mean **** the guy got injured can you really blame that on him?

I wouldn't put nate Allen on the list of disappointments I mean **** the guy got injured can you really blame that on him?

As someone who has torn a calf in the last year there is no way in hell you are playing through it.

In a way it seems like Miami is stumbling into a better overall philosophy. At least it appears the team is making better decisions overall. The last few drafts have been encouraging and the Dolphins haven't overspent as much as they used to in free agency. Also, I think the front office is working well with Gase and figuring out what his type of players are. Hopefully, in a few years this will payoff in a big way.

In a way it seems like Miami is stumbling into a better overall philosophy. At least it appears the team is making better decisions overall. The last few drafts have been encouraging and the Dolphins haven't overspent as much as they used to in free agency. Also, I think the front office is working well with Gase and figuring out what his type of players are. Hopefully, in a few years this will payoff in a big way.
I agree that past few drafts have been better. Greer made a comment during a press conference about 'restraining Trader Mike' this year as he patted Mike on the back. I'm only speculating but I think that was only half-joking. Maybe Gase or even Greer suggested Mike be more careful with draft resources or maybe it came directly from Ross as he is involved in state of the franchise meetings.

i like our roster but if you are expecting Danny Amendola to play more than 8 games you are kidding yourself.

Of the Dolphins’ veteran pickups that didn’t pan out in recent years...

In these particular cases, the Dolphins diligently studied their 2017 seasons, speaking to people who worked with them, and emerged with credible information and compelling data to convince them that all three are still productive performers, not past-their-prime players.

http://amp.miamiherald.com/sports/s...ticle215423865.html?__twitter_impression=true

^^ So why wasn't this done in the past? Aren't these guys paid to do their due diligence?

I agree that past few drafts have been better. Greer made a comment during a press conference about 'restraining Trader Mike' this year as he patted Mike on the back. I'm only speculating but I think that was only half-joking. Maybe Gase or even Greer suggested Mike be more careful with draft resources or maybe it came directly from Ross as he is involved in state of the franchise meetings.
The one nice thing about Tannenbaum is that his gambler mentality could eventually pay off. As long as he let's the decision makers do their thing. In other words, he can act as the go between for that type of move.

Back
Top Bottom