Some questions answered.... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Some questions answered....

ZOD

Ruler of the Universe
Reaction score
The Dolphin Digest (the official periodical of the team) came out recently and some questions were answered by Dave Wannestedt that had been raised here. I never saw anything written about it here so I thought I would relay some finformation. I give the entire periodical an A in terms of quantity and quality in this issue so pick one up if you get a chance.

I can't post the entire Q and A session so keep that in mind and here are some comments direct from Dave.......

Quarterback
It was evident that we wanted to add some talent a QB.
...................................................................We had alot more information on Feeley than we did any of the rookies coming out. He's a quality player. Let's see how it unfolds.

I'm not concerned about the best situation for one player; I'm concerned about the best situation for this team. And there is no doubt in my mind that Fiedler, who has won 40 games for us, gives uns the best chance to succeed along with Feeley.

We didn't have any interest in Garcia.

Jacksonville didn't give us the opportunity to deal with him (Brunell). There was no way we were going to give up a first round pick.

offensive line
If we have to trim a few things (playbook) in order to give the line time to click together, then we will.

We talked to Damien woody about coming down here first..............He picked Detroit over Miami? I wish him all the luck in the world.

(Tait) We were willing to take some risks to sign him, front loading a contract and things like that.......I couldn't look our fans in the eye and say we're doing everthing........but not make a run (at Tait). Sometimes it just doesn't fall your way.

We did the right thing with Todd Wade.

(Tommy Hendricks) He was convinced that he was going to be the starting middle linebacker on the Jaguars...................................Id be really interested to see when the dust settles where he is lining up for Jacksonville.

Terrell Owens
Dave displayed concern over "being in bed" with that player with that large of a contract.

offensive line
If we have to trim a few things (playbook) in order to give the line time to click together, then we will.

Thanks for the info, man.

I hope they don't trim the playbook too hastily. We are already too predictable. I don't see why Wanny is so quick to concede his expectation for quality from his players publicly.
Shula would never do that. He would have told them they have to learn the book and kept the pressure on them and then trim if he had to later. Why tell them before they’ve even exerted any effort to try to accomplish learning the book that if they can’t we’ll give in and make it easier for them. If you accept mediocrity all you’ll get is mediocrity.

Maybe that’s why they don’t want the players with the 7 Wonderlic score.:lol:

I think you read too much out of the sentence......

Keep in mind I couldn't post the entire Q and A.

That comment was answering a "cohesive" question and the answer was longer. I just thought the sentence answered some worry about the cohesive issue. :D

Originally posted by ZOD
I think you read too much out of the sentence......

Keep in mind I couldn't post the entire Q and A.

That comment was answering a "cohesive" question and the answer was longer. I just thought the sentence answered some worry about the cohesive issue. :D

Oh OK. Things are so slow, I tend to read the line, between the line, above the line and under the line. But I do think that is a diference between Shula's way and Dave's way. Shula didn't tolerate things like penalties, even in practice. Mare wouldn't have had the choice of not practising from the dirt. Even when players played OK, Shula would show them where they needed to improve. I never heard Shula make an excuse for a player.

BTW.....

Dave has said that he wants 1st down to be closer to 50% run-50% pass this year. He said we were in too many long yardage situations last year because the percentage too skewed to one side.

That's what he said......Then again, he also joked that he said Rob Konrad would handle the ball more often for the past three years. :rolleyes:

If only we all were a little more like Shula.

Thanks, the insights were helpful. I got Dolphin Digest for years before the internet. Also the last couple of years they couldn't get it to me in NW Ohio until the Monday or Tuesday AFTER the Sunday game. And that was with first class mail. They do the best job of any print vehicle.

Back
Top Bottom