Some Random Thoughts | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Some Random Thoughts

KB21

Club Member
Reaction score
1. The Quarterback Issue. I think Gus Frerotte will win the job, and I believe he can do the job in the short term. However, I do not think that bodes well for the future of this position on the team. We will see if AJ catches up with Gus and surpasses him at some point. He has to do that this year though, because the way his contract is structured makes it easy to cut him after this season if he isn't the guy. If Gus wins the job, he should do a good job, but it makes getting a young quarterback a high priority for next year.

2. David Boston. I've got a feeling that this guy is going to be a major key for the Dolphins this season. He's a low risk investment that will give high rewards. Of all the receivers on this team, David is the one guy who has the ability to be a true go-to, number one receiver. He's got the ability to go deep down the field. He's got the ability to go over the middle. He can do the intermediate stuff. He has the ability to take a bubble screen and the short slant and make them 25+ yard gains. Temper the expectations but don't be surprised to see him have a great season.

3. The Defense. This defense is going to be wicked. When you have a defensive playbook that is thicker than your offensive playbook, expect a lot of wrinkles. It's going to be a big change from knowing exactly how we will line up 90% of the time as we have in the past.

i have a good feeling about this D also. i get the impression that the players are excited about playing again. question: if gus does win the job, what do you think the possibiltiy of feeley winning it back. considering he is younger and has a decent arm?

I'm starting to think that Frerotte will win the starting job, too. And if that does happen, you can pretty much make book on Feeley getting cut after the season. Because barring injury, I don't think Saban is going to play QB roulette; I think he'll stick with one guy unless he gets hurt or is 2 steps beyond terrible, which I don't think Frerotte will be.

EDIT: Forgot to address the defense. I'm a little more worried than you are. The problems at DT are going to be an issue; no TimBo, and maybe no Chester. We're going to be playing Keith Traylor a lot more than we should be at this point in his career. Carter should be okay, and suits Saban's defense well because of his versatility, but I don't think he's necessarily a guy you want to play every snap at DT; I think you want to move him around a lot, and we may not have that luxury. The 3-4 alignment we'll use a lot will help that, though.

Question: after seeing this year's #2 QB in the draft drop all the way down to #24 (or some number like that) is there any team besides us that would actually spend a high draft pick on a QB?
Cleveland, maybe.

phunwin said:
I'm starting to think that Frerotte will win the starting job, too. And if that does happen, you can pretty much make book on Feeley getting cut after the season. Because barring injury, I don't think Saban is going to play QB roulette; I think he'll stick with one guy unless he gets hurt or is 2 steps beyond terrible, which I don't think Frerotte will be.

EDIT: Forgot to address the defense. I'm a little more worried than you are. The problems at DT are going to be an issue; no TimBo, and maybe no Chester. We're going to be playing Keith Traylor a lot more than we should be at this point in his career. Carter should be okay, and suits Saban's defense well because of his versatility, but I don't think he's necessarily a guy you want to play every snap at DT; I think you want to move him around a lot, and we may not have that luxury. The 3-4 alignment we'll use a lot will help that, though.

I think you're spot-on with your assessment of the DT/NT situation. But no doubt there will be some guys on the waiver wire that could help. No superstars, just solid big-butt backups.

On the topic, what does everyone think of the kid from USC? I've heard so many different things, i don't know what to believe; that he's 280# and can't keep weight on, too tall for DT, etc. Anyone have the straight scoop?

edit: I have to disagree on the QB - I think Frerotte was brought in to be a solid backup, and to light a fire under Feeley. But no more than that.

As far as the AJ thing goes i'm a big believer in his raw talent but after the coaches clinic and talking with some of the staff, the consesnus to me was (not outright said to me) is that AJ is not a smart guy(one person told me outright that Vernon Carey is dumb). He just doesn't have book smarts. This was the first time I heard this and it really concerned me. granted it was one set of individuals and they by no means were decision makers, just telling me what they have observed. It explains his tendencies to focus on recievers, to not understand the play book, to make some poor decisions. I mean to me it seems as if he and Brock have had the same amount of time with the playbook and that is clearly not the case. I really hope he can pull it out but at this point I'm starting to believe that it is indeed Gus's job to lose. :-(

As far as the Def is concerned I couldn't be less woried those guys have sured up everything but the secondary. I think that the secondary is just a matter of time, everything else has good to great depth and fantastic skill.

awing_pilot said:
As far as the AJ thing goes i'm a big believer in his raw talent but after the coaches clinic and talking with some of the staff, the consesnus to me was (not outright said to me) is that AJ is not a smart guy(one person told me outright that Vernon Carey is dumb). He just doesn't have book smarts. This was the first time I heard this and it really concerned me. granted it was one set of individuals and they by no means were decision makers, just telling me what they have observed. It explains his tendencies to focus on recievers, to not understand the play book, to make some poor decisions. I mean to me it seems as if he and Brock have had the same amount of time with the playbook and that is clearly not the case. I really hope he can pull it out but at this point I'm starting to believe that it is indeed Gus's job to lose. :-(

As far as the Def is concerned I couldn't be less woried those guys have sured up everything but the secondary. I think that the secondary is just a matter of time, everything else has good to great depth and fantastic skill.
Everything I have heard about AJ this last year has indicated that he is not a practice field warrior. He'll get this year to prove he is a gameday warrior though.

Also, if he loses the starting job, it'll be time for a new sig won't it? :D

awing_pilot said:

Well, I know this doesn't mean anything on the football field, but Jason Cole explained on his forum that Feeley was a really good student at Oregon and got an 1100 something on the SATs.

Wildbill3 said:
Everything I have heard about AJ this last year has indicated that he is not a practice field warrior. He'll get this year to prove he is a gameday warrior though.

Also, if he loses the starting job, it'll be time for a new sig won't it? :D

well lets put it this way I am already laying out plans for a new one. I am one that belives you practice as hard as you play. i understand there are very few athletes that can slack off and turn it on on gameday, but my feeling is that AJ has not earned that right from us the fans nor Coach Saban. Somethings gotta change and soon if ew expect to see a top 20 QB in the NFL on our roster!!!

awing_pilot said:
well lets put it this way I am already laying out plans for a new one. I am one that belives you practice as hard as you play. i understand there are very few athletes that can slack off and turn it on on gameday, but my feeling is that AJ has not earned that right from us the fans nor Coach Saban. Somethings gotta change and soon if ew expect to see a top 20 QB in the NFL on our roster!!!
I seem to remember some disturbing camp reports about marino years back and while he certainly earned his stripes, he had some pretty bad mini-camps, and he certainly had some bad preseason games, that if he wasn't Marino, we would've been calling for his head too.

(I don't think I have to tell anyone that I am not even comparing Feeley to Marino, I am only comparing the same situation.):lol:

i remember hearing about how bad marino seemed in TC early in his career. people would always freak out. i don't think i ever heard of an off-season that he really impressed. heck, he only starting working out because he popped his achilles...

NaboCane said:
I think you're spot-on with your assessment of the DT/NT situation. But no doubt there will be some guys on the waiver wire that could help. No superstars, just solid big-butt backups.

On the topic, what does everyone think of the kid from USC? I've heard so many different things, i don't know what to believe; that he's 280# and can't keep weight on, too tall for DT, etc. Anyone have the straight scoop?

edit: I have to disagree on the QB - I think Frerotte was brought in to be a solid backup, and to light a fire under Feeley. But no more than that.

I'll defer to KB about Manuel Wright. I will say, however, that I'm very wary about spending a 3rd round pick (sounds like that's what it will take to get him) on a kid who was not only a part-timer at USC (though admittedly, there's little shame in getting stuck behind Shaun Cody and Mike Patterson) but had a tendency to take plays off.

I hope there's some waiver wire help at DT. Unfortunately, cap management has come a long way; there haven't been many notable June 1 cuts. So, I hope Kevin Vickerson turns into a wrecking ball and solves the problem.

I think everyone seems to be forgetting, with regards to Boston, that his knee is still in pretty bad shape. That "all the talent in the world" mentality regarding him may no longer be accurate.

ckparrothead said:
I think everyone seems to be forgetting, with regards to Boston, that his knee is still in pretty bad shape. That "all the talent in the world" mentality regarding him may no longer be accurate.

Don't say that on the main board. I'm pretty sure there are members out there who are making a pilgrimage to Davie to have Boston heal their sick children and smite their enemies with his godlike powers.

One thing to remember about Manuel Wright. We have a coach on the staff right now that has a pretty good idea of what Manuel Wright is capable of. That's one of the perks of having a guy like Tom Davis on the staff. He broadens that coaching network the Dolphins will work from when it comes to their draft decisions.

I just don't think Nick Saban is going to use up a pick in the real draft to take Manuel in this draft. Sure, the guy has a good bit of potential. He's big, athletic, and explosive, but there are some drawbacks to taking him. He obviously isn't willing to put in the work to do the right things in the classroom, and you should always be wary of a guy who has the rep of taking plays off during the course of the game. That last part is one of the reasons Van Brown wasn't drafted, even though he has a great deal of potential. I think Wright has the potential to be a big defensive end or a good 5 technique defensive tackle. He will never be the man child that Daryl Gardener was because he doesn't have the hips for it, but he could be Eric Swann-like.

Back
Top Bottom