Some tidbits from PFW...... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Some tidbits from PFW......

Baz

Ephemeral
Reaction score
Jerry (Cali): Isn't Zach Thomas a little overrated? Every time I watch him he is always missing tackels? Does he look good on film?

Andy Hanacek: Hey Jerry,
Actually, I don't think Thomas is overrated. He does have some nice-sized DTs in front of him, but he NEEDS those guys to keep blockers off him because of his size, not his ability. Thomas is just like any player though, he struggles at times. But, if you watch him week in and week out, you'll see him blow up plays in the backfield and pursue just as well as a Ray Lewis or Brian Urlacher. He's not really overrated, though...he's one of the smartest MLBs out there, that's for sure.

Joey (Sordin) : I know Robert Edwards will will comeback player of the year, but who do you think might be second? Isn't Jamie Nails a consideration?

Andy Hanacek: You're probably right in that Edwards will win, and he does deserve, which I know you're not arguing. But, yes, his teammate, Jamie Nails, is DEFINITELY worth consideration. If you read the Way We Hear It on profootballweekly.com, you'll see that I talked to Miami OL coach Tony Wise, who gave Nails big-time praise. Nails was out of football last year and shed 40 pounds to get into playing shape. He's crushed defenders and been a big reason why Ricky Williams has been running wild. But, Nails' place as an offensive lineman will probably hurt him in the voting.

Lawrence, (Rome): Is Jamar Fletcher a decent corner? Does he have good potential or is he a bust?

Andy Hanacek: Lawrence,
I think Fletcher at this point is just that: decent. Now, people will talk about his high tackle totals and all, but those have to be taken with a grain of salt. When a corner is picked on and unable to defend passes, he's going to have a lot of tackles. In fairness to Fletcher, he is getting picked on because of Sam Madison, but he seriously hasn't shown a ton of pass-coverage ability since the beginning of last season. He does have potential (look at Tebucky Jones on the Patriots for an example--drafted in 1998, just coming into his own nowadays). But he will require patience and maybe a bit more guidance from the likes of Madison and Surtain.

Just thought I'd post these for you all. His comment about Fletcher being picked on because of Madison on the other side is right on the money......

Originally posted by BMarion31
Jerry (Cali): Isn't Zach Thomas a little overrated? Every time I watch him he is always missing tackels? Does he look good on film?

Andy Hanacek: Hey Jerry,
Actually, I don't think Thomas is overrated. He does have some nice-sized DTs in front of him, but he NEEDS those guys to keep blockers off him because of his size, not his ability. Thomas is just like any player though, he struggles at times. But, if you watch him week in and week out, you'll see him blow up plays in the backfield and pursue just as well as a Ray Lewis or Brian Urlacher. He's not really overrated, though...he's one of the smartest MLBs out there, that's for sure.

Joey (Sordin) : I know Robert Edwards will will comeback player of the year, but who do you think might be second? Isn't Jamie Nails a consideration?

Andy Hanacek: You're probably right in that Edwards will win, and he does deserve, which I know you're not arguing. But, yes, his teammate, Jamie Nails, is DEFINITELY worth consideration. If you read the Way We Hear It on profootballweekly.com, you'll see that I talked to Miami OL coach Tony Wise, who gave Nails big-time praise. Nails was out of football last year and shed 40 pounds to get into playing shape. He's crushed defenders and been a big reason why Ricky Williams has been running wild. But, Nails' place as an offensive lineman will probably hurt him in the voting.

Lawrence, (Rome): Is Jamar Fletcher a decent corner? Does he have good potential or is he a bust?

Andy Hanacek: Lawrence,
I think Fletcher at this point is just that: decent. Now, people will talk about his high tackle totals and all, but those have to be taken with a grain of salt. When a corner is picked on and unable to defend passes, he's going to have a lot of tackles. In fairness to Fletcher, he is getting picked on because of Sam Madison, but he seriously hasn't shown a ton of pass-coverage ability since the beginning of last season. He does have potential (look at Tebucky Jones on the Patriots for an example--drafted in 1998, just coming into his own nowadays). But he will require patience and maybe a bit more guidance from the likes of Madison and Surtain.

Just thought I'd post these for you all. His comment about Fletcher being picked on because of Madison on the other side is right on the money......

Who is PFW?

Back
Top Bottom