Something a little different with awards? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Something a little different with awards?

Jimmy James

You sit on a throne of lies!
Reaction score
I love the look of the graphics used for the VIP, Premium Member, Super Moderator, and other awards granted to the users and leadership here. At the same time, I see two basic problems with the system as it is now:

1) If somebody accumulates more than about 3 awards, the number of awards stretch out the page longer than most posts made.

2) In order to grant somebody an award for winning a site sponsored contest, you have to make a custom graphic for it (a la 984's Survivor one or my PoFo one). This is a hassle. There are contests I think were actual site contests like March Madness II where the winner doesn't have an award.

My suggestion is to consider leaving the fancy graphics for the awards based on paying to join VIP or Premium and for the leadership. For contests, award medals like (among others, I imagine) CincyBengals.com does. See the medals in the link? I think they'd work nicely for competitions. I'm not sure how it would be implemented along the side of the posts with the bigger graphical awards, but I imagine it can be done if somebody thinks this is a good idea.

I really never liked the medals system they used. I like the nice graphics We have. I can have just show 2 or 3 awards and have the link for your total awards.

I kind of like showing all the awards. Sort of like a badges of honor.

IMO. :wink:

Mindwarp said:
I really never liked the medals system they used. I like the nice graphics We have. I can have just show 2 or 3 awards and have the link for your total awards.

My opinion.

I'm proud of my premium badge, and as it trumps vip, the vip is kind of redundant. I think the donator sends a positive message and it was my first badge so I like that one too. Now three looks cooler than two, I like the graphics too, but if it is better to show two then those are my choices and why.

Mindwarp said:

I think the graphics are really nice. Showing just a couple would be even sweeter, though it doesn't solve the problem that the awards are incomplete. Of course, I should probably just leave that to anybody who has won something not reflected anyway.

I actually forgot you spent so much time over there. It's as though I've taken up the torch from you.

ETA: I just noticed I wrote "Survivor" where I meant "Premium" above. That was confusing, I'm sure. I fixed it now.

The Member display is very customizable in vBulletin. I have seen many mods and plug-ins and I have to say that FH has the cleanest out there.

JimmyJames, if a whole list of awards is in ones future, I agree that finding an alternative way of displaying them might be in order. At one time, FH staff was discussing using a user-customizable (to some degree) MySpace.com type profile page. Perhaps putting the less influental awards on that page would be the way to go.

Celtkin said:
The Member display is very customizable in vBulletin. I have seen many mods and plug-ins and I have to say that FH has the cleanest out there.

I totally agree. I mean absolutely no offense to Brian or any of the other people who run the boards I frequent (both football and other subjects), but FinHeaven has done what I think is the best job of balancing having a clean look and having features like awards, avatars, and custom user titles. CincyBengals.com has a much more cluttered format that I personally don't like quite as well, though it does give the board a different personality than FH has.

Jimmy James said:
I totally agree. I mean absolutely no offense to Brian or any of the other people who run the boards I frequent (both football and other subjects), but FinHeaven has done what I think is the best job of balancing having a clean look and having features like awards, avatars, and custom user titles. CincyBengals.com has a much more cluttered format that I personally don't like quite as well, though it does give the board a different personality than FH has.

There was and is no doubt in my mind that you were making a suggestion for improvement and not a critique. I'm sorry if I gave the wrong impression, bro.

Celtkin said:
There was and is no doubt in my mind that you were making a suggestion for improvement and not a critique. I'm sorry if I gave the wrong impression, bro.

Oh yeah, we're all good. I just like writing, man. :)

I want the badge system! I'm a po' folk and winning survivor is my only chance at getting a badge in the near future. :p

The limit on badges in the post bit is set at 4 now... I wouldn't want it any higher, and while 4 may make it a little long, it's not too bad.... most people don't have more than 3 anyway...

WharfRat said:
The limit on badges in the post bit is set at 4 now... I wouldn't want it any higher, and while 4 may make it a little long, it's not too bad.... most people don't have more than 3 anyway...

Sweet. That's good to know. I know we have at least a couple members with 4 now. I imagine somebody will work their way up to 5 before the year is out.

Jimmy James said:
Sweet. That's good to know. I know we have at least a couple members with 4 now. I imagine somebody will work their way up to 5 before the year is out.

If it gets to that point some consolidation of badges could be considered.

Premium members dont really need VIP badges.A single badge displaying
Premium..VIP should be enough.All that has to be done is to change the Graphics on the badge.

I have noticed some members with two VIP badges.I am sure there are good reasons for it but they look as though two different Admins awarded them and didnt notice there was a duplication of awards.Perhaps a single VIP badge with a X2 would be more appropiate.

I havent seen it lately but at one time I did notice a donator and a super donator badge for the same member.IMO thats a little redundant.

The badges that make me scratch my head are the members who have a single Moderator badge but who really dont moderate.I assume its some kind of honorary title or accomodation with another MB.:wink:

:2c:

Back
Top Bottom