Something I heard on ESPN Radio | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Something I heard on ESPN Radio

Sage's #1 Fan

Start Sage Already!
Reaction score
ESPN Radio said that once the Redskins get Clinton Portis, they will trade Portis to the Patriots for BOTH of the Patriots first round picks. It sounds a bit ludicrus, but it's just something I heard.

I hope they do, the Pats would be getting a RB whod oesn't totally fit their style and would lose a ton of cap space in getting a guy who wants huge money or will sit out.

That doesn't sound like a Belichick move to me.

Denver has cranked out 1,200 yard RB after 1,200 yard RB in their system so I'd be leery of getting a guy from them.

Portis is good no doubt, but you can get a RB in the draft later who's very good in their first year.

That is bullcrap...........it is such bullcrap........did i forget to mention that it's bullcrap?

How would it hurt their cap space?? It'd actually HELP their cap space. Portis signed a rookie deal that he is still currently on. He counted only 300k last year for Denver and they wouldn't have to pay for two first rounders. Plus he would definately help them. I dont believe it until i actually see some proof but to say this wouldn't help NE is stupid.

I for one would not like to see the Patriots field an offense that stars Clinton Portis and Tom Brady, in our division.

IF it did happen though, the dream scenario would be that the Redskins acquire those 1st round picks so that they could deal one to Miami for Adewale Ogunleye. They REALLY want a good DE and to tell you the truth I wouldn't put it past Dan Snyder to think himself a certified genius to do a trade like this so that he can trade Portis to New England for their two first rounders, then use the lowest pick in the first round to snatch another RFA. Why is this a dream scenario? Because if I'm not mistaken, the draft pick that a team has to give up for an RFA either has to be their original pick if they have it, or the pick they do have that is closest to their original pick. So in an arbitration much like the one last year for Chad Morton in which the Skins were awarded Morton, the NFL rules that the Skins have to give up the #5 pick in the draft to us for Ogunleye.

Hey, I know it won't, probably can't, happen but it would be pretty funny if it did.

Still if the NFL doesn't have a rule like that in place, if the Skins are indeed allowed to give us whatever first rounder they want, and if this goes down like its supposedly been reported, that could be a double fricking whammy for miami. Clinton Portis gets to torch us with the Patriots twice a year, and the Skins, who always get their man no matter how much they have to give up, take away Ogunleye and give us the LAST PICK in the first round as compensation. Yikes. It would be like Dan Snyder and Bill Belichick designed it that way specifically to screw Miami.

Interesting note, if Indy were still in the division that would mean that there would be 3 hurricane runningbacks torchin up the NFL all in the same division. Yowsa. Them canes baby thats why I love them.

Are you talking about McGahee as the third RB torching up the division? That's just speculation at this point. He may be good, but that knee better hold up.

Portis has never done anything more than Mike Anderson did. Beraly more than Olandis Gary.

I'd be leery of giving two picks for that guy.

How do they give up a ton of cap space someone asked? Because he says he won't play w/o a new deal. It's why the Broncos are so mad at him. The new deal will be huge he signs and take up a ton of cap space.

wow, this actually scares me.

Originally posted by Section126
That is bullcrap...........it is such bullcrap........did i forget to mention that it's bullcrap?

so.........you think its bullcrap then?

Not going to happen, Gibbs is couting on at least 1400 from Portis, he is guarenteed that with Portis, not with a rookie. If it does go down no doubt it makes the Patriots even that more scarier. I'm hoping and thinking it's false.

Originally posted by PhinsmissedFG
Portis has never done anything more than Mike Anderson did. Beraly more than Olandis Gary.

I'd be leery of giving two picks for that guy.

How do they give up a ton of cap space someone asked? Because he says he won't play w/o a new deal. It's why the Broncos are so mad at him. The new deal will be huge he signs and take up a ton of cap space.

You are kidding, right?

Did Mike Anderson average 5,5 yards per carry his first two seasons? I'm not 100% positive, but I recall hearing that is an NFL first.

Mike Anderson was a pretty good back. But Portis is a freaking stud. I would hate to see Portis in New England's quick hitting offense. Portis getting dumpoff passes in space vs. Zach Thomas and Junior Seau?? That's a huge mismatch right there. Heck, that's a mismatch against any LB.

Charlie Weis would have all kinds of fun with Portis out of the backfield. And we're not even talking about him running the ball. You see how effective Kevin Faulk is behind that line. Now multiply it by two and you've got Portis.

I'm just saying that he hasn't proven himself outside of an offense that's known for producing RB's.

The Pats would certainly be a better football team with Portis, I just don't think we should fold up shop if they get him.

Back
Top Bottom