Something I Pondered Upon | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Something I Pondered Upon

Stoobz

Eschew the Onvious
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
I wondered what would I rather have from a draft pick - a good player from a crappy team or a good player from a team loaded with talent?

In our case, Harris came from a team with exactly 1 player drafted this year, that being Harris.

OTOH... McMillan came from a team that vied for a spot at the big table and had 7 players drafted.

Not sure if this really means anything other than I think we are finally headed in the right direction with most of these picks.

No more TGJr. and his family or Eddie "Earthquake" Blakes or Pat Whites, nor the debacle of a disaster at DE/OLB who hailed from Oregon.

FWIW, when they drafted Pat White, imagine Jim Mora saying "Pat White?" in his infamous "playoffs?" voice. That was my reaction.

I digress and ramble and am in need of sleep.

GO DOLPHINS!

I'd say Harris performance should be more impressive as most teams would game plan against one of few good players on the team. Still I think McMillan will have the better career. Just a feeling.

Playing for the weaker team means heavier lifting for the few studs because they get double teamed whereas guys from stacked rosters are more likely to have one-on-one matchups. And in the case of Harris, it's more impressive that he was in the SEC and still played well.

----------------------------------------

Last edited by a moderator:
I woudepends on the players, McMillan was the captain of that defense and was responsible for making sure everyone was where there supposed to be at, Harris as s pass rushers did not have that responsibility just get the person with the ball and I think he does that well

The classic example of a good player on a not so good team would be Patrick Willis. This year's version of that might be Zach Cunningham at Vanderbilt. Still, I'd rather have Raekwon McMillan, who probably got hidden at Ohio State because he was surrounded by so much talent. On the other hand, someone like Reuben Foster benefitted from having so much talent along the Alabama DL that he was always free to fly to the ball. I don't know that there's an easy answer to that one.

Also, you tend to get the best prototypical measurable from the teams loaded with talent. So if you're looking for a guy with speed, quickness and size ... those tend to come from the teams loaded with talent like Ohio State or Florida. Again, Zach Cunningham would be the opposite. But, people overlook his missed tackles because he was the only guy making tackles at Vanderbilt.

Saw a video on this topic. Khalil Mack was one example given, small school, only good player, balled out.

Malik McDowell is the posterboy for best talent on a crappy defense.

The case was made that dudes who elevate crappy teams from WhatsamattaU were fading the "Big School" bias.

IMO...The pick should be a good player...I believe he should be a good fit for the team and have a positive impact...The School or other players don't really matter so much as long as the pick is good for US..Remember the kid from Akron "Jason Taylor" ...I just want good players with the picks I don't really care from where as long as threir good for the Fin's!!

Saw a video on this topic. Khalil Mack was one example given, small school, only good player, balled out.

Malik McDowell is the posterboy for best talent on a crappy defense.

The case was made that dudes who elevate crappy teams from WhatsamattaU were fading the "Big School" bias.

Mack almost beat Ohio State by himself. I'll never forget that performance.

harris first step is it's own level and hard to find. mcmillons warts are hard to sniff out considering all the talent around him but vs higher level skill athletes they show up...the nfl is chalk full of top shelf athletes...Miami can't fix the maxed out athlete there so we have to rely on his hand use getting better to stack and primarily shed blocks and his football iq has to offset. even with all that expect there to be range to the perimeter of the field issues showing up on sundays with this kid. the 4.6 isn't very consistent outside the off tackle area. it's more like 4.8 to the perimeter of the field and that's even with pretty solid instincts. perimeter of the field play speed is suspect and is a major reason you end up with an nfl ready for contact lb with almost 6 foot 2 and 238 lbs and from a power conference and team like ohio state with his production level on the board in the 50's...

Last edited:
harris first step is it's own level and hard to find. mcmillons warts are hard to sniff out considering all the talent around him but vs higher level skill athletes they show up...the nfl is chalk full of top shelf athletes...Miami can't fix the maxed out athlete there so we have to rely on his hand use getting better to stack and primarily shed blocks and his football iq has to offset. even with all that expect there to be range to the perimeter of the field issues showing up on sundays with this kid. the 4.6 isn't very consistent outside the off tackle area. it's more like 4.8 to the perimeter of the field and that's even with pretty solid instincts. perimeter of the field play speed is suspect and is a major reason you end up with an nfl ready for contact lb with almost 6 foot 2 and 238 lbs and from a power conference and team like ohio state with his production level on the board in the 50's...

Love the analysis Hoops. Care to share your thoughts on the draft overall?

So I take it you aren't a McMillan fan?

Back
Top Bottom