Something some of us havent learned yet DOLFANS | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Something some of us havent learned yet DOLFANS

DOLFANMIKE

Coaches Corner
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
This was one of the first things I was handed by Todd Olson, a Minnesota High School Football Coach (5 Time High School Football Coach of the Year) after he hired me back in 1999. He actually handed it to me on top of his playbook. It stood out as just a piece of paper, kind of out of place. Then I read it and realized it was all about understanding team, being a fan, a supporter, and of fighting for success. It's what winners do.

A LESSON IN COOPERATION FROM GEESE

Next fall when you see geese heading south for the winter flying in a "V" formation, you might be interested in knowing what science has discovered about why they fly in that way. It has been learned that as each bird flops its wings, it creates an uplift for the bird immediately following. By flying in a "V" formation, the whole flock adds at least 71% greater flying range than if each bird flew in it's own direction. (People, or teams, who share a common direction and sense of community (DOLFANS) can get where they are going quicker and easier too because they are travelling on the thrust of one another).

Whenever a goose falls out of formation, it suddenly feels the drag and resistance of trying to go at it alone, and quickly gets into formation to take advantage of the lifting power of the bird immediately in front .(If we have as much sense as a goose, we will stay in formation with those who are headed the same way we are going)

When the lead goose gets tired, he rotates back into the wing and another goose takes on his place at the point of the "V". (It pays to take turns doing hard jobs, being supportive - with people or with geese that are heading south)

The geese honk from behind to encourage those up front to keep up their speed. (What do we say when we honk from behind?)

Finally, (Now I want you to get this), when a goose is sick, or is wounded by gun shots or attacks from the enemy and falls out of formation, TWO geese fall out of formation and follow him down to help him and protect him. They will stay with him until he is well and able to fly or until he is dead, at which time they then launch out on their own and join a new formation or catch up with their group. (If DOLFANS have the sense of a goose we'd stand by each other, and our team like that).

I read alot of the negativism and insulting of our Dolphins staff, players, etc. It really is a shame that you haven't learned what TEAM is, and what it isnt. Supporting the Dolphins doesn't mean you say great job to even the things you don't like, or never voice a concern. But it certainly isn't insulting our players and coaches.

Support your team and hope the best for them, even in imperfect situations. Don't tear down the Dolphins staff and players! Especially if you don't know the situation. Be a DOLFAN!

Learn the lesson of the Geese!

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a good point (and good read); however, the reason why we sometimes rip the players and/or coaches, and the reason why we post on these forums everyday is because we love this team so much. It just gets frustrating seeing the same thing year in and year out, that's all. It doesn't mean we don't support the team.

Well, that explains the problems with our O-line. We've got a couple of wounded geese up there, and the rest of line is peeling off the formation to take care of them. Unfortunately, that doesn't leave anybody to block...

:stick:

I AGREE TOTALLY WITH YOU, AND I HAVE ALSO READ THAT POSITIVE
ANECDOTE. THANKS FOR POINTING OUT ALSO WHAT I HAVE BEEN STATING ALL ALONG. GO DOLPHINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Originally posted by Rebar71
Well, that explains the problems with our O-line. We've got a couple of wounded geese up there, and the rest of line is peeling off the formation to take care of them. Unfortunately, that doesn't leave anybody to block...

:stick:

LOL.....

I hear ya,.....the OL is my biggest concern too!

You go ahead and be a silly goose if you want. I will continue to fly my own course with my eyes wide open.

Originally posted by DPlus47

:sleep:

That's exactly the right avatar for people who want to be blindly optimistic and ignore reality...sleeping peacefully.

great post DMIKE.....That reminds me of another lesson I learned about geese (birds) flying in a V formation....If you have ever looked closely you'll notice that one side of the formation is always longer than the other.......Know why that is?

More geese on that side..... :D :lol:

Originally posted by inFINSible
great post DMIKE.....That reminds me of another lesson I learned about geese (birds) flying in a V formation....If you have ever looked closely you'll notice that one side of the formation is always longer than the other.......Know why that is?

More geese on that side..... :D :lol:

That's deep man:groovy:

Originally posted by DOLFANMIKE
This was one of the first things I was handed by Todd Olson, a Minnesota High School Football Coach (5 Time High School Football Coach of the Year) after he hired me back in 1999. He actually handed it to me on top of his playbook. It stood out as just a piece of paper, kind of out of place. Then I read it and realized it was all about understanding team, being a fan, a supporter, and of fighting for success. It's what winners do.

A LESSON IN COOPERATION FROM GEESE

Next fall when you see geese heading south for the winter flying in a "V" formation, you might be interested in knowing what science has discovered about why they fly in that way. It has been learned that as each bird flops its wings, it creates an uplift for the bird immediately following. By flying in a "V" formation, the whole flock adds at least 71% greater flying range than if each bird flew in it's own direction. (People, or teams, who share a common direction and sense of community (DOLFANS) can get where they are going quicker and easier too because they are travelling on the thrust of one another).

Whenever a goose falls out of formation, it suddenly feels the drag and resistance of trying to go at it alone, and quickly gets into formation to take advantage of the lifting power of the bird immediately in front .(If we have as much sense as a goose, we will stay in formation with those who are headed the same way we are going)

When the lead goose gets tired, he rotates back into the wing and another goose takes on his place at the point of the "V". (It pays to take turns doing hard jobs, being supportive - with people or with geese that are heading south)

The geese honk from behind to encourage those up front to keep up their speed. (What do we say when we honk from behind?)

Finally, (Now I want you to get this), when a goose is sick, or is wounded by gun shots or attacks from the enemy and falls out of formation, TWO geese fall out of formation and follow him down to help him and protect him. They will stay with him until he is well and able to fly or until he is dead, at which time they then launch out on their own and join a new formation or catch up with their group. (If DOLFANS have the sense of a goose we'd stand by each other, and our team like that).

I read alot of the negativism and insulting of our Dolphins staff, players, etc. It really is a shame that you haven't learned what TEAM is, and what it isnt. Supporting the Dolphins doesn't mean you say great job to even the things you don't like, or never voice a concern. But it certainly isn't insulting our players and coaches.

Support your team and hope the best for them, even in imperfect situations. Don't tear down the Dolphins staff and players! Especially if you don't know the situation. Be a DOLFAN!

Learn the lesson of the Geese!

Well, Mike, a good story to say the least. What I have learned from this (and I'm probably one of thee oldest codgers around here) is that the problem with the Dolphins is that we ain't gotta LEAD goose to begin with!! :lol: :lol:

But even so, we ALL are supporting our team, that's why we are here! If we didn't care, we wouldn't be wasting our time doing this. ;)

Originally posted by RikWriter
You go ahead and be a silly goose if you want. I will continue to fly my own course with my eyes wide open.

your a lonely guy arent you rik?

Originally posted by finfan54

your a lonely guy arent you rik?

Actually no. And most of my friends like the Fins. And not one of them think they are good enough to make the SB this season.

Back
Top Bottom