Something that should be understood | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Something that should be understood

Dajesus

Active Roster
Reaction score
If you ask any football coach in the nation what is the most important part of your football team they will say it is a tie, no the tie is not btw the rb and qb as most football fans may think, it is the o-line and d-line. The line is the building block of every team on both sides of the ball. If you look at every super bowl team from the Packers to the Ravens there is 1 constant...very good o-lines and d-lines. This season we have had horrible luck w/both of these lines. More than just the bad luck, I think Dave ignored glaring holes on both of these lines in the off season. He know that Spriggs, Smith, Mixon, and Bromell were all unproven, and have failed to win jobs when they had the oppurtunity the previous season. Sure it would be nice to have the luxury of having a great 3rd cb, but that is a luxury, having a good lt is a necessity. In all honestly we are very lucky to be where we are right now at 9-4, but if we want to ever take the next step we have tend to our swiss cheese o-line, and our lack luster d-line. If we can shore up those to postions you can start Jay Feidler's mom for all I care.

Which Smith are you refering to. Brent Smith? Cause that kidd played very well in place of Webb several times. Mixon you say, why he has only been our starting defensive end for three years. Lo Bro has been outstanding all year. He was the one who broke Mannings jaw.

Your right about one thing though, the O line needs attention during the offseason.

I beg to differ. First about Smith, when did he play well? When he couldn't win the starting rt job two preseasons ago from the 5th round pick Wade(who has looked horrible this year.) I don't know about you, but if A guy isn't good enough to play rt I don't want to see him pretecting the qb's blind side. Mixon and Bromell- you have to be kidding me, sure nice hit on Manning (witch was late by the way, and was not a sack), but their 2 and 1/2 sacks combined this season is far from getting it done. Not to mention they both have got pushed around like school girls every time we have played a half way descent o-line. Look at the Jet's, Ram's, 49ers, and Bill's games for proof. They have looked so good Dave has turned to a player that was cut by the Redskins in week 2 for some help, and Bowens(David not Tim) has completely showed both of them up when it comes to rushing the passer. Bottom line is now that Gardener is gone, and Bowens is a shel of his old self, I don't see 1 physical pressence on either side of the line.

I personally think its Tony Wise to blame for our O-line being so horrible this year.Id take back Paul Boudreau any time now.The players are also to blame.

I saw that comming in the off season when Wanny opted for Wise! I knew that the move would come back in bite this team in the ass!

Wade was our 1st overall last year in the 2nd round. The O line is most important part of your football team. If you have a dominant O line, i.e. the back-2-back TD Super Bowl Broncos, you can control the game by keeping your D off the field and scoring points as well as giving yuor QB the ability to use play action passing. There is no way to criticize anything we did on the defensive line when you consider that we had 5 solid DT's going into camp and 3 solid DE's. That was all we can afford under the cap thanks in part fo JT making big bucks along with Daryl, Tim Bo and even Lo Bro. How much more are you going spend there ?

Looking back on the draft, we had just signed Spriggs and felt that there was no OT available in the late 1st round better than him. We had a good draft no mater how you look at it just for getting Chambers and Minor as future players and a starting LB and 4th CB - of course, Fletcher has been a big disappointment, but he's better than Jerry Wilson.

I saw that comming in the off season when Wanny opted for Wise! I knew that the move would come back in bite this team in the ass!

That is typical Wannstadt, bringing in people because he likes them.

Armstrong worked out OK, but Wise's line has sucked. But there is very little talent and health there - so it's hard to say if Wise is any good.

In all honesty, what do you do with only 2 of the 5 starters from the beginning of the season? Thinking back on it, I give him alot of credit for what he has done with the group of backups he has in there now.

Originally posted by chitowndolfan
In all honesty, what do you do with only 2 of the 5 starters from the beginning of the season? Thinking back on it, I give him alot of credit for what he has done with the group of backups he has in there now.
The Jury is still out on Wise, the O line has sucked at run blocking, but protected well until yesterday.

i have to debate missing 3 starters, yes we lost 2 lt tackles, but that is 1 postion. At the beginning of the season we ran to the opposite side of the field w/the reg startes and we still couldn't run block. Dixon played for more than half of the season, and they couldn't run block when he was there.

For the rest of the draft besides Chambers it is questionable at best. Minor I like, but will hardly make a draft class. We were very agresive in getting other guys later in the draft, but there was a tackle left at 23 when the Lions picked that is quite a talent, M. Williams(i think his name is)from Michigan. Not to mention there was always the option of picking a good guard(there were at least 4 starters on the board when we picked) and moving Dixon to lt. Greenwood was not a good pick, we needed help imeaditly at lb, and they picked a project player. Our 5th, 6th(3picks) round choices sucked! Thoose are more of a gamble, but most teams find at least 1 diamond in the rough in the late rounds. Only 1 of thoose guys are still w/the phins(Draper is on the practice squad.) I'm just still pissed about picking Fletcher, that was the last of my venting, I'll be positive now.

Back
Top Bottom