Something to think about DURING the season... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Something to think about DURING the season...

-81- McMichael

Active Roster
Reaction score
I re-watched a couple of games this past weekend. The first Jets game... and the Sunday night Denver game (what a game!).

Here's some thoughts to maybe keep in mind DURING the season:

First...

That first Jets game was a lot closer than many people may remember. Had Pennington played instead of Vinny's sorry pathetic self... different game... Vinny gave up TWO very costly and stupid INT's and got sacked AND stripped by JT on the SAME PLAY!!! :o :lol: Much like Lucas against Buffalo... ONE MAN, literaly, lost the game.

The Denver game was JUST AS CLOSE as it seemed. And Denver could easily have won that game. BTW, Griese had some pretty good looking throws in that game despite INCREDIBLE pressure from our defense line and lb's. We blitzed A LOT and it WORKED (please, blitz more this year!). Griese also threw for over 300 yards in that game. Uhhh, but he also threw that one INT to Madison that almost cinched the game for us after Sammy returned it for a TD.

The Colts game came down to the last play (and shouldn't have).

The second Jets game was close DESPITE Lucas, aka sorry-piece-of-$h!T.

The Minn. game was close (one of the worst second halves I've ever had to endure).

The Raiders game was close (great game - NOTE: if we should lose JT during the season we will HURT... SERIOUSLY BAD).

The second NE game was close (worst coaching and special team play I've seen from my 'Fins in a LONG TIME).

The point here about all these CLOSE GAMES is that the argument could be made EITHER way about almost ANY team regarding their record at the end of the season... IF this play goes this way and IF that play doesn't happen and IF that ref's call had been right, etc. Enough! I don't want to see or hear any of that this year.

WE NEED TO DOMINATE GAMES!!! :yell: :yell: :yell:

And there's really no excuses for why we cannot. Honestly, I don't remember EVER (even when we had Marino and the Mark bros. and what was left of the "Killer B's") having a team this STACKED all around.

Secondly...

THINK about this:

After we got through with New York in our first meeting, the Jets had been OUTSCORED and humiliated by something like 74-10 in a two week period (other game was against NE). Their offense was a mess and they couldn't seem to tackle or hit anyone to save their lives. Either they left Miami at 1-2 or 0-3, I don't remember. But NO ONE that day would have seriously believed it if you'd have told them that the Jets would go on to win the division. I think even Jet fans would have been like, "Yeah, right!"

Mind you, ONE of the announcers did have enough mind to say, "... well, folks, lets remember that for every team the average season has something like FIVE TURNS in it."

Prophetic words. After re-watching the Denver game I could really see where we could really have been something special last year. But the loss of Fiedler, Chambers and OG was just too much all at once. Definitely ONE OF THOSE bad TURNS.

BUT GREAT TEAMS OVERCOME bad TURNS!

Baltimore did it when they won it all (Dilfer over Banks, plus the discovery of J. Lewis). New England did it when they lost Bleedso (and discovered Brady). Heck, really, the Rams did the same thing when they lost Trent Green and, I think, then their second stringer and ONLY THEN turned to Warner! [Correct me, if I'm wrong.]

The point is... the Dolphins HAVE TO find a way...

...to be Champions.

And THAT should be the 2003 motto.

Originally posted by -81- McMichael

WE NEED TO DOMINATE GAMES!!! :yell: :yell: :yell:

Exactly, but unfortunately, Wannstedt will control that. We usually start out dominating and then he backs us off in the second half trying to coast to victory. Play it hard the whole game, we won't be embarrassed as much and I think you'll see less injuries also. it seems that when guys hold back a bit, they seem to be more injury prone!!

Re: Re: Something to think about DURING the season...

Originally posted by DeDolfan

Exactly, but unfortunately, Wannstedt will control that. We usually start out dominating and then he backs us off in the second half trying to coast to victory. Play it hard the whole game, we won't be embarrassed as much and I think you'll see less injuries also. it seems that when guys hold back a bit, they seem to be more injury prone!!

Evreyone's fire is burning at the start of the season which is why the fins always start out great. As the season progesses though, wear and tear can slowly put out that fire. Anyone think that a coach like Cowher(sp) could fire a team like the fins all year round?

the first Jets game is the way we need to play throughout the year. We need our D to take the ball away often and even score occasionally; and we need to be using Ricky to put the game away in the 4th Q. Most games we seemed to get too little out of RW in the 4th

Re: Re: Re: Something to think about DURING the season...

Originally posted by justafan

Evreyone's fire is burning at the start of the season which is why the fins always start out great. As the season progesses though, wear and tear can slowly put out that fire. Anyone think that a coach like Cowher(sp) could fire a team like the fins all year round?

No, it's as if this team starts believing the hype of the collapse part of the season and actually plays timid at the end, as if expecting a collapse. They need to get over that mentally, like they took the step to beat the Jets last year, hopefully this year they learn to finish strong also. I do think the O will open up more this year and be aggressive all year long..The D needs to play lights out all year and not take plays off. The Backups seem to be the best we've had in years on D..the OL backups aren't proven, so I'll have to hold judgement on them..But they seen so far in mini camp like Seth and Todd Wade in their rookies years. If they're as tough as those two, then we're in find shape..the only area that seems a bit of a drop off would be at RB, but every team that has a super star RB, has a bit of a drop to the backup. I would like to see more of a battle between L. Henry and Edwards this year in TC.

I dont think Wanny will put us in conservative mode that much. He knows his job is on the line, and that the same sort of performance wont cut it, and sitting back and winning it in the 4th doesnt work.

Surtain returned the INT against Denver for the INT.

Yep.

Originally posted by Prime Time
Surtain returned the INT against Denver for the INT.

Yep. That's right. And what was with him holding the ball so loose with his left (I think) and directing traffic with his right?!? :eek:

I mean, ok - great, he scored... but it just seemed like rather risky ball-handling.

[Ok, no one get cute with that last bit about the risky "ball" handling.]

iF They Focus on Fumble recovery, and Special Teams penalties they should be alright. Those are two things that are very difficult to overcome late in the season.

Re: Re: Re: Something to think about DURING the season...

Originally posted by justafan

yup !! 'Nuf said! ;)

Wanny has pledged not to let up this year. Huizenga made sure of it. The question remains, will Wanny be able to keep the fire lit?? If he isn't enough, will guys like Seau and Knight be able to compensate??

It's all mental, guys. It's all mental. The talent is overwhelmingly in place. And the fire has to still be lit for 60 mins in Week 17.

If Wanny doesn't cut it, I'd love to see a guy like Tyrone Willingham leading the troops into battle. I have a tremendous amount of respect for that guy.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Something to think about DURING the season...

Originally posted by MDFINFAN

No, it's as if this team starts believing the hype of the collapse part of the season and actually plays timid at the end, as if expecting a collapse. They need to get over that mentally, like they took the step to beat the Jets last year, hopefully this year they learn to finish strong also. I do think the O will open up more this year and be aggressive all year long..The D needs to play lights out all year and not take plays off. The Backups seem to be the best we've had in years on D..the OL backups aren't proven, so I'll have to hold judgement on them..But they seen so far in mini camp like Seth and Todd Wade in their rookies years. If they're as tough as those two, then we're in find shape..the only area that seems a bit of a drop off would be at RB, but every team that has a super star RB, has a bit of a drop to the backup. I would like to see more of a battle between L. Henry and Edwards this year in TC.

Cowher couldn't?? He couldn't do any worse than wanny or his wonderful mentor tho! :lol:
We've discussed this already and if Wanny doesn't change his style/philosophy, I don't see any reason why the O will open it up anymore than LY. We haven't upgraded much on O so I don't expect any increase in production there. Teams are going to stack it to stop Ricky at any/all costs and dare Fiedler to beat them in the air which he can't/won't. Much like happened with Dan in 84. Stop the pass and dare us to beat them on the ground.

On D, YES, said it a zillion Xs already, they need to play the whole game and keep after them. But that was Wanny calling them off too soon. If not, we win about 4 more games LY. AT RB, I'd like to see Minor get more work, ESPECIALLY as a slot WR. Not all the time, but enough to really make a couple of new wrinkles there. If so, that would be a big upgrade for the O.

Originally posted by Muck
Wanny has pledged not to let up this year. Huizenga made sure of it. The question remains, will Wanny be able to keep the fire lit?? If he isn't enough, will guys like Seau and Knight be able to compensate??

It's all mental, guys. It's all mental. The talent is overwhelmingly in place. And the fire has to still be lit for 60 mins in Week 17.

If Wanny doesn't cut it, I'd love to see a guy like Tyrone Willingham leading the troops into battle. I have a tremendous amount of respect for that guy.

Muck, I've heard sooo much from Wanny that it doesn't matter what he says anymore. At this point, the only thing I'll ever believe from him is his actions. He must show me that he means it. Our window is just too damn small for me to believe in him right now !!:eek: :cry:

If he doesn't follow thru on what he's said, he's fired. So I think he'll follow thru.

Back
Top Bottom