Something To Think About | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Something To Think About

dolfan91

Class Clown
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
IN 2003 .. it was stated before the draft miami's primary goal was to draft a WR ... meanwhile they spent the whole afternoon trying to trade into the 1st round to pick an Olineman .. and when the opportunity presented itself in round 2 they passed on both the OL and WR ... IN 2002 ... it was stated that LB was their target in the draft ... and when the opportunity came they selected a center ... so my point is.. do we believe miami's 2004 pre draft hype thinking shaun andrews is our pick or do we all drop our jaws again cause they select a suprise pick ... and select a cornerback like jamar fletcher in 2001 or perhaps another eddie moore ... just wondering if anyone is thinking like me.. and getting prepared for the SUPRISE!!! when i heard the name eddie moore.. i said!!! "EDDIE WHO"!!! .. i immediately thought oooooh no not again.. eric kummerow ... jackie shipp... lorenzo hampton ... and who ever else miami has suprised us with on draft day... i can only hope that rick puts an end to all the draft day reaches and starts building this team with real value when miami does pick ...

Originally posted by DOLFAN91
IN 2003 .. it was stated before the draft miami's primary goal was to draft a WR ... meanwhile they spent the whole afternoon trying to trade into the 1st round to pick an Olineman .. and when the opportunity presented itself in round 2 they passed on both the OL and WR ... IN 2002 ... it was stated that LB was their target in the draft ... and when the opportunity came they selected a center ... so my point is.. do we believe miami's 2004 pre draft hype thinking shaun andrews is our pick or do we all drop our jaws again cause they select a suprise pick ... and select a cornerback like jamar fletcher in 2001 or perhaps another eddie moore ... just wondering if anyone is thinking like me.. and getting prepared for the SUPRISE!!! when i heard the name eddie moore.. i said!!! "EDDIE WHO"!!! .. i immediately thought oooooh no not again.. eric kummerow ... jackie shipp... lorenzo hampton ... and who ever else miami has suprised us with on draft day... i can only hope that rick puts an end to all the draft day reaches and starts building this team with real value when miami does pick ...

LOLOL!! I started a thread a few weeks ago named something like "Another crop of draft picks that makes you go WHAAAA?!?!?!?!". I know exactly what you're talking about. We all sit around with the players we think the Phins ought to pick up and then get to our selection and go "WTF?!?!!". LOLOL...

There's a lot of smoke screen stuff that goes on in Dolphin camp.

I remmember last years draft, a bunch of us get together drink all day and watch the draft, by the time Miami made their first pick I was buzzing pretty good, but thought I was Drunk when they mentioned the name Eddie Moore, and was wondering what someone put in my drink to make ears hear thing couldn't possibly be true, because this was the first day and I had no idea who this guy was, so I asked my buddy, he said he was suppose to be a very late pick or undrafted, I was not impressed.

No I've definitely been thinking along those lines. My surprise pick is a safety at #20 like Sean Jones. A bit of a reach, definitely a need but not one anyone thought we'd use our first on. Fits the Eddie Moore M.O. perfectly, however I do not think thats what we'll see in the first round.

But honestly, they didn't set out in the draft targeting Fletcher in 2001. Actually, they targeted Brees and Chambers and were going to try and pick up a nickel CB later in round 2 or 3 I believe. But they had Fletcher ranked in like the top 15 of the draft I believe, and all the sudden he was there at pick #26. I honestly think they had him rated higher than Nate Clements, Will Allen, and Willie Middlebrooks...CBs taken #21, #22, and #24 respectively.

So what happened is like, they said ok we were going to take a CB later anyway and the best CB in the draft has just fallen to us at pick #26. Do we pick up Brees anyway? In the end Dave was too uncomfortable with the notion of picking up a first round QB because of the controversy it would cause...plus he was a gamble (that in his defense has failed). Other choice was Chambers and I guess they just felt like Chambers was a stretch at pick #26. I still think it was a dumb decision because of Fletcher's temperament...but a dumb decision that I understand.

So thats our only first round drafting experience with Rick and Dave in Miami and the first round is far different from drafting at pick #49 or pick #87. They can actually walk into this draft with a short list and GET one of the dudes on that short list. Its much more targeted. People knew we were targeting Brees and Chambers, back in 2001. We weren't targeting Fletcher, but he was a guy that fell. If we are surprised, it will be Miami taking a guy we didn't expect because he fell too far. I think this year our needs are so varied that we won't be surprised no matter what the pick. There's only so many first round talents out there.

BTW everyone was not expecting a WR last year at our 2nd rounder. Most of the people were talking about a tackle, with the names John Stinchcomb, George Foster, Brett Williams, and Wayne Hunter coming up the most often. We should not have found it so surprising that the phins spent all day trying to trade up to get Foster, Kwame Harris, or Eric Steinbach.

...and a few people in the minority (like me) were actually thinking linebacker, but the guy I liked (and that I believe the FO really liked but settled on Moore) was Pisa Tinoisamoa. I still believe Pisa would have been a GREAT Miami linebacker. He's Junior Seau's nephew for cryin out loud!

CK .. not to be dissrespectful.. but i do remember just after the season ended in 2002 and failing to make the playoff .. it was during the 1st few weeks after the last game that an article appeared in the sun sentinal.. where wanny stated that WR was priority #1 in the 2003 draft ... i do realize that as the draft drew near OL was being mentioned... but WR was mentioned as well by wanny ... and again when the opportunity presented itself both OL and WR were NOT addressed in round 2 ... like we all thought it should have been ..

maybe DW should be left at home for the draft or maybe RS should ban him from the draft room !!! just a thought, so he won't try to persuade RS to draft someone he really dosn't want .;)

This is what makes this draft fun for me, at least. Like CK said, we could go in just about any direction and safety would surprise me the most, but I think if RS had his druthers, he'd trade down about 7-10 spots and try to get a late 2nd rounder out of it...I think this draft is deep enough in our positions of need, that the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd rounders could all be contributors this season...

Last year I was hoping for Calico and Hunter or even Kelly Washington. Of course we passed on all of them and only time will tell if we did the right thing or not. I've said all along that they might trow us a curve ball again this year. I don't think we'll take RB, FB,TE or QB)mostly cos the top 3 will be gone)and I don't think we'll take a DE(unless Ogun goes)or a corner so that leaves WR,O-line,DT and LB. Of those 4 positions LB would be the bigest surprised to me so I'm thinking we'll go o-line, WR and DT with our first 3 picks and anything else would be a surprise to me.

Ozzy rules!!

God...it's gonna make me sick having to see Wanny in the war room rubbing his hands through his hair with that look of confusion on his face.
It'll be interesting to see how Rick and Dave communicate when the 20th pick rolls around. Wouldn't it be wild to see them get into an argument and Dave storms out of the war room?
I just hope it is Rick who is in charge...

Rick's in charge and Wanny know it. They'll compare notes but Rick will have the final say which I wish he had last year too.

Ozzy rules!!

Who knows with these guys. Its RS first draft. Anything is possible. If Wanny was drafting I would place my money on DB again or at least a defensive player.(hahaha!)

However, I think unlesss someone unexpected drops in the draft, you will see a lineman drafted. There is no way they can get around it with so much need at that position and having aquired FA everywhere else they had needed.

An altenative scenario would be if someone snags Andrews then we could trade down and get more picks.

I am ready to see.

Last year, our 2nd round pick was like the highest pick in years for us (not literally) I had three guys on my board. Kelly Washington (projected first round) Anquan Boldin, and Tyrone Calico. Then, bad enough we are expecting offense, I can't even find this guy on the internet. It get's even better, ESPN can't find info on this guy. It gets even better, all the highlights shown of his play on the news was Willis Magahee running him over and getting into the endzone. Us Dolphin fans all partied that night.

Originally posted by ckparrothead
No I've definitely been thinking along those lines. My surprise pick is a safety at #20 like Sean Jones. A bit of a reach, definitely a need but not one anyone thought we'd use our first on. Fits the Eddie Moore M.O. perfectly, however I do not think thats what we'll see in the first round.

But honestly, they didn't set out in the draft targeting Fletcher in 2001. Actually, they targeted Brees and Chambers and were going to try and pick up a nickel CB later in round 2 or 3 I believe. But they had Fletcher ranked in like the top 15 of the draft I believe, and all the sudden he was there at pick #26. I honestly think they had him rated higher than Nate Clements, Will Allen, and Willie Middlebrooks...CBs taken #21, #22, and #24 respectively.

So what happened is like, they said ok we were going to take a CB later anyway and the best CB in the draft has just fallen to us at pick #26. Do we pick up Brees anyway? In the end Dave was too uncomfortable with the notion of picking up a first round QB because of the controversy it would cause...plus he was a gamble (that in his defense has failed). Other choice was Chambers and I guess they just felt like Chambers was a stretch at pick #26. I still think it was a dumb decision because of Fletcher's temperament...but a dumb decision that I understand.

So thats our only first round drafting experience with Rick and Dave in Miami and the first round is far different from drafting at pick #49 or pick #87. They can actually walk into this draft with a short list and GET one of the dudes on that short list. Its much more targeted. People knew we were targeting Brees and Chambers, back in 2001. We weren't targeting Fletcher, but he was a guy that fell. If we are surprised, it will be Miami taking a guy we didn't expect because he fell too far. I think this year our needs are so varied that we won't be surprised no matter what the pick. There's only so many first round talents out there.

BTW everyone was not expecting a WR last year at our 2nd rounder. Most of the people were talking about a tackle, with the names John Stinchcomb, George Foster, Brett Williams, and Wayne Hunter coming up the most often. We should not have found it so surprising that the phins spent all day trying to trade up to get Foster, Kwame Harris, or Eric Steinbach.

That was my hope all along with Rivers. But, now more and more teams are letting slip what the wiser people on this board already knew, that Rivers is one of the best players in this draft.

As for this draft, I think they take Andrews if he's available, but it gets real interesting if he's not. If Andrews is gone I think it's a toss up btw WR and a defensive player. All the OL wishers will piss and moan, but my guess is that the other OL available aren't rated much higher than Yates, Whitley, St. Clair or McIntosh. And they're rated much lower than the wrs and def. players available.

Originally posted by DOLFAN91
CK .. not to be dissrespectful.. but i do remember just after the season ended in 2002 and failing to make the playoff .. it was during the 1st few weeks after the last game that an article appeared in the sun sentinal.. where wanny stated that WR was priority #1 in the 2003 draft ... i do realize that as the draft drew near OL was being mentioned... but WR was mentioned as well by wanny ... and again when the opportunity presented itself both OL and WR were NOT addressed in round 2 ... like we all thought it should have been ..

D91 that was the case until they signed D. Thompson..then the priority changed, they felt with DT, McKnight, and Chambers, plus they had Simmons, that they were okay at WR, the tune then changed to OT..like CK said we all thought that, then we saw the opportunity to get Calico and that went by for Moore.

Back
Top Bottom