Sorry for a lack of update... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Sorry for a lack of update...

FinHeavenAJ

FinHeaven Lives
Reaction score
Alright, I am sorry for a lack of update (no October update). However, I have been going through some family problems, which will be explained. However, I have to ask that you do not make this publicly known right now. Please, I beg, do not tell everyone you know. If someone asks, leave it at "family problems." Saying that, let me give you my reasoning, since I think YOU should know.

On October 21st, 2003 I received a phone call from my step-mom, she said that she had to rush my father to the hospital as he was unable to breathe. After initial tests, they found that he had severe pneumonia. However, they saw some abnormalities in his lungs. After further testing, they found Advanced Stage 4 of Lung Cancer, and it has spread to his liver, and rapidly spreading to other parts of his body.

He was to be a part of a clinical study, of which there was different testing, but was denied because the cancer was much too far advanced. Thus, they did chemotherapy; however, they are not sure how much longer he has. Currently, my father is going through much pain and discomfort. Doctors and therapists have tried to comfort him, but it's not going well. He's even been given a few massages...

Because of this, I am going through much pain myself. Concentrating on usually normal tasks is rather difficult... luckily my professors understand. Oh, by the way, I am only at college right now because my dad wanted to see my complete college, thus I am trying to do it as quickly as I can. Additionally, I have become very tiresome and weak, even though I get plenty of rest. Furthermore, I am so stressed that I've been going through a lot of stomach pains. For example, when I wake up in the mornings, and I have a glass of water, I feel like I'm going to throw it back up in a few minutes. Basically, my life has become miserable. I have even quit my two Vice Presidencies (sp?) because I had no interest, and wasn't motivated any longer. However, the site has been able to keep my attention... thankfully.

Everyday something happens that used to be normal, but now isn't. For example, last Friday my car had some car problems... but I could no longer call my father for his advice. A few days later, my step mom called and told me that he wanted me to take his season tickets for the rest of the Hurricanes season... and that really hurt, as I have never gone to a Hurricanes game without him... for 19 years.

By the way, never fear... the website will always receive my fullest attention. I will be away from the site during it's busiest times, since I will be visiting my dad every weekend now, but I am 1000% positive that the great staff here can work through that. (I'll always have my cell phone anways...). Additionally, one huge reason why the site will always receive my fullest attention is because of what happened when the site first started... before there was a site...

Two or three months after I had my first computer, I started a site... AJ's Miami Dolphins Page... I stayed up to about 12AM trying to figure something out, but couldn't. I ended up just lying down on the couch, almost crying, telling myself "forget it." He then told me that was probably the worst thing I could say, and that I didn't give it my hardest, because he knew I CAN do it. He then added: "And, if you're gonna do it, like anything, don't do it half-assed."

Well, what can I say? You can thank me for making such a site, but I will always thank my father for always being their for such advice, support, and guidance; because without him, I'm not sure where I would be right now or, for that matter, who I would be...

Anyways, that's why I haven't had the time to write an update for October. I will try my hardest to make one up for November at a later date. But, I ensure you that the site is doing well. The bumper sticker sales aren't doing as well as predicted, but all is well.

PLEASE remember, don't share this story with the world. This is very personal to me, and I don't want the entire world to know. If anyone asks... it's simply "family problems."

Thanks again to everyone, I apprecaite your help!

Sincerely,
Andrew Tatum

AJ:
I lost my Father when I was 21. I am sorry to hear about this. I met your Dad at the Buffalo game. Super nice guy.

The prayers of me and my family are with you and yours during this trying and sad time.

Know that your friends at Finheaven are here for you in anyway that we can help.

God bless you.

I too met your father at that game....
The thing that sticks out in my mind is that he kept trying to feed me! Now here is a guy that he never met, but he welcomes me in no questions asked and invites me to partake in his tailgate. We even had a nice conversation about his Truck.... (I love that chevy).... but anyway, his attitude that day speaks volumes of him and you.... enjoy him for as long as you have him with you.

Be blessed as you are...

AJ,

I just wanted to tell you I'm thinkin about you man. I can't pretend to have any idea about what you're going through, but, my thoughts are with you. God bless man.

Alex

i lost my mom last year after a long illness,,the only things i can say to you is spend as much time with him as you can,,tell him how you feel about him,let him know about all the good times you spent with him,,i feel for you aj,just keep the faith,,if you ever need to talk just let me know,,,,

I am sorry to hear about this AJ. I could only imagine what you could be going through. If there is anything anyone of us can do for ya let us know. We are all here cuase of your hard work and your fathers inspiration. Keep you head up and remember that YOUR finheaven family is here for you in any way shape or form!!! I will keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers!!!
Ira

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family AJ. Keep the faith and don't apologize for spending less time and attention for things that are far less important in life right now like this forum.

AJ,

With the mid-season melt-down of the Dolphins.. And all the anger and frustrations that goes along with it..... its stories like yours that snaps us all back into reality.. Life is indeed more precious than anything else..

I am not going to sugar coat my message here.. You will experience a lot of pain, loneliness, sadness and I am sure you will cry a few times before you can find the strength to move on in your life..

I lost my Dad in '98, he too had cancer. It started with a pimple size tumor on his neck back in '93, for which the Dr's cut out and told him he would be fine.. 5 years later, the cancer spread thru out his body and he passed within 9 months...

It sounds like you had a better relationship with your Father than I did with mine.. but no matter how much I may have disliked my Father at the time, I always had respect for him... I respected his wisdom, his strength, both inner and outer.. I respected his ability for gift of gab.. and most importantly.. I respect the advice he gave to me..

When your Father passes away (God rest his soul) you will experience those 7 emotions... angry, denial, bargaining, sadness etc... but the one thing that should eventually come out and when it does.. its crystal clear... LIFE CHANGES... Where it was at one time your Fathers job to be the head of the house.. now its yours... Where it was your Fathers job to raise kids and tend to the Mom... now its yours... and most importantly... Your Father was the modern day equivalent to the Shell's Answer Man... well now its yours.. and you can do it because..... Your Father passed onto you the most valuable gift he could.. strength...

You will find one day that your more mature.. more wise and you now possess that inner strength and wisdom your Father once had.. and you will thank your Father, who now lives inside you and your heart..

Looking back over the last 5 years, of all the things I miss about my Father... I must say the worst is... I have had many situations come up where I needed to ask my Dad just one last question.. because only he had the answer... in my case it was in reference to the financial affairs of his Mom, my Grandmother.. But he wasn't around to ask.. or to talk to.. or to get advise from..

I was eventually able to figure out the solution to my problems, without his help... or so I thought at the time... Then one day, I realized the reason I could solve the problems was all due to the fact I had my Father's wisdom inside me.. It was like it magically appeared.. one day without notice...

On that day, I heard my Fathers voice encouraging me not to stop.. not to give up and not to do a half-assed job, because he knew I could do it too...

Losing your best friend, your Father, your Dad, will be the hardest trial for you... but when you realize you survived and can continue on with your life, you will owe it all to your Father... because he is your best friend............

Jeep and everyone else, I really appreciate your posts... I really do.

To me, it's like nobody can possibly understand what I go through day in and day out, but I then realize that a lot of people go through the same things as I...

My father, my best friend (really) is someone that means the world to me. Just me knowing that he is hurt and unable to do his normal routine kills me. It kills me thinking that just a month ago, he made an island in his back yard, he was tearing down walls in his garage, and was mowing the lawns of his neighbor. Additionally, it was no more than five months ago that he finally got a new car for himself, after getting a new car for my mom (pre-divorce), current wife, step-sister, and I. He was a person that took everyone before him.

For those that know my dad, he was the typical Silent Bob. He didn't speak much, but when he did... it was nothing but advice, support, or wisdom. But now, he just lays there in pain, barely able to speak at all. And that's what's tearing me up insdide.

Since I'm seeing him every weekend now, what really was "weird" last week was, for the first time in four years I was cutting his lawn. Prior, I would always be the one looking out the window watching him mow the lawn, but on Sunday, he was watching be with his chair turned around... On Saturday, the day prior, he wanted me to go to the Canes game, since he had tickets, and I didn't want to argue with him. So I went, and was sad the entire game... as fin-atic knows, I yell the entire game normally, but on that Saturday, I was quiet... as it was the first game that I have EVER gone to in 19 years, that my dad wasn't yelling beside me.

Oh well, all I know is that normal life seems more difficult everyday. What normal can no longer be normal. I don't feel like doing what I used to do (active in school clubs, etc). It seems... so stupid.

But, no fear... I'll never "drop" the site as I do with school clubs and etc. As the site is my future, and this situation will pass, and then life will move on.

A couple of forever remembering quotes from my dad:

"And, if you're gonna do it, like anything, don't do it half-assed."

"It takes all types of people to make the world go round."

"I may let you stumble, but I will never let you fall."

PS: Sorry if that's too deep for some people... I just feel better talking about it sometimes... :cool:

AJ, trust me when I say I understand what you're going through. While it wasn't my father, it was someone else very close to me. I struggled through it, and I like to believe it has made me a better person. I know this is a very tough situation, and I wish I there was some sort of advice I could offer you. Just be strong and know that you will persevere.

If you need anything, just E-mail me. I'll be more than happy to do whatever I can to help you out......

Wow, AJ, I just read this.....I can't believe it. This IS a terrible thing and it's something that I, being twice your age, haven't even gone through....yet.

We all do.

One thing that I would try to point out to you is that even though everyone goes through this, we each have our own pains to work through.

Some don't have the time together to gradually come to terms with it and say all the things you want to say to each other before the end.

You have that.

I imagine for the others, that would be the one thing that they would always wish they had.

I am deeply saddened and hope that you can find the strength to pull through this difficult time in your life AJ ..

My father had his 80th birthday this past July and god willing he will have many more ... I cannot even fathom the kind of misery and dispair you are going through,, but you and your family will be in my prayers AJ !!!

Marino1983

i lost my father 10 years ago. and, even though we were not close, i still think of him often. even miss him. i have some understanding of what you are going through and am truely sorry for your pain. you and yours have all of our support. do what you need to do, we will carry on for you.

AJ,

Our thoughts and prayers are with you Brother. God Bless

Back
Top Bottom