Spielman Does Not Like Gadsden's Agent....a Major Problem. | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Spielman Does Not Like Gadsden's Agent....a Major Problem.

Originally posted by DrAstroZoom
I'm really pissed at the Dolphin players squawking about this. A contract is, by definition, a payment offered in return for future performance, not a reward (or a thank you or an "attaboy") for someone's past performance or dedication.

The Dolphins would have to be, quite frankly, pretty stupid to say to an injured player, "Sure ... here's some money. Rub it on your wrist: I'm sure that will speed the healing process."

that is not entirely true. players defenitley get bigger contracts for proving themselves.

Originally posted by dolphan39
carter will likely be gone next year, though you never know. OG will play out like Brock did IMO, i.e. he will wait for big money and end up getting a 2 year deal for something a little over the Min. - if he is healthy.

carter coming back next year depends on a few things. but it is not inconcievable that he could come back for one last full season. but i think our #1 priority will be finding a WR in the 1st or 2nd rd. my friend is very high on one charlie rogers 6-3 210 lbs.

Originally posted by finfan54

that is not entirely true. players defenitley get bigger contracts for proving themselves.
for proving that they will be able to deliver on the field in the future.

Originally posted by Muck
FinFan, OG was the clear starter from the start. You knew that OG was gonna beat out McKnight for the job. As a coach, you want your players to have a reason to get better. We're paying McKnight more than any WR on the team. You can't just bench him from the start. You gotta motivate him and hope that he elebvates his game and earns that money. But OG was clearly the better player and the better fit for the #2 slot.

I believe OG is the highest paid Wr on the team this year. I know McKnight recieved a signing bonus, but most of his money is backloaded.

Originally posted by finfan54

my bottom line? chris carter should have been here from the start, with mcnight cut, then OG would be a third wideout and maybe, just maybe, he wouldnt be hurt right now,

Unfortunately with McKnights signing bonus situation, and the fact that if we had cut him then the remainder of the bonus would have been bumped up to this year against the cap, if we had cut McKnight then we would not have been able to afford sign Carter wit the kind of money he was demanding.

Now with Gadsen going on IR we have free'd up enough money to give Carter an incentive laden contract that is initially worth less than 1/2 what he was asking for before.

Basically the situation was this, if we Sign Carter at teh beginning of the year, then we are forced to cut OG because of the cap.

It's Caponomics101... It Sucks, but thats the way it is.:(

If you wanna know what I think, (doubtful) I'd have to disagree with Muck a little bit. I think there was a clear ambiguity over who would be the starter opposite Chris Chambers. And there should have been even though McKnight was known as MdDrops, and he was most noted for having popped up some balls that led to interceptions, not to mention fumbling the ball. But, despite all these problems McDrops still had as many catches as 'old reliable' Oronde. To me, put together with the fact that McKnight was never really known for dropping balls in Dallas, this makes me think that of the two WRs the chances are much less that McDrops has peaked, than the chances were that Oronde had peaked.

In actuality, I believe Oronde HAD peaked in his potential, and that McKnight has not. Oronde can make some ridiculously good catches but what good is that if they are few and far between? The sentiment on this board that I've seen concerning Oronde seems always to be like one person said before, that Oronde makes catches in the clutch and as long as he's doing that we don't care if he has only 20 catches. Well I say, in Norv's offense, if a starting wide receiver has only 20 catches, no matter how clutch those catches were, either on the whole the WR is a piece of trash, or Jon Kitna was your quarterback. I've been disappointed with Oronde's production through 6 games and I don't think he's had any excuses. I mean, Jay Fiedler (especially in retrospect) might be a little better than most give him credit for. Norv Turner's offense is both awesome AND it provides for both the #1 and #2 WRs to do well (we're talking 1000+ yard seasons), as well as providing for the TE to do really well (Randy McMichael), and a 1500+ yard rusher. You want an example heck look at any of his Dallas offenses, or look at his 1999 Redskins offense. Those are offenses in which we supposedly have comparable talent on all facets of the offense...except perhaps at WR.

In that kind of setting, Oronde was on pace for like 43 catches and 600 yards, and 0 TDs. He had a QB who could make good decisions and get him the ball, he had a formidable WR on the other side drawing the #1 CB and drawing double teams, he had a talented productive Tight End occupying safeties and linebackers over the middle of the field, he had a pass catching fullback that should probably be accounted for, he's had a decent running game to draw 8 men in the box CONSISTENTLY, and he's had perhaps the best signal caller in the game calling out the plays...all that, and 43 catches for 600 yards and 0 TDs is what he was on pace for. So are there too many weapons? Too many good targets drawing from a well thats not big enough? Not if you look back to the Cowboys offenses or the Redskins offenses...

So I say Oronde's skills have always been and will be best utilized in a 3rd WR role. James McKnight should have been starting from the beginning. Thats right, I said it.

I agree with CKParrothead. He had some very valid points. OG is just one of those players that fans like to love, like good old bernie. He is neat and all, but when it comes down to it, not one team in the nfl is going to give him a 2 million dollar a year contract with a signing bonus. Recievers of his calibar are a dime a dozen.

Plus who would want a reciever that doesn't play with the same injury as Plexico Burris.

Back
Top Bottom