Spielman has a "Scott Pioli" aprroach to the Draft | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Spielman has a "Scott Pioli" aprroach to the Draft

MARLINSFAN305

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Rick said this:

(On balancing film evaluation of players as opposed to guys who are workout warriors) – "We look at the workout numbers. We look at the workouts in the spring, but we always rely on what we’ve seen on tape because there are a lot of guys who may not be workout warriors who become excellent football players in this league – the Zach Thomas’ of the world. My brother (Chris Spielman) was not a workout warrior. If you just drafted between me and my brother, I would have kicked his rear in everything with test numbers. I was just horrible as a player. You have to remember that it ultimately comes down to what you see on the field and what kind of football player he is because those guys are going to end up guys who make plays for you."

Thats basically what Scott of NE said during the combine on how they approach the draft. They draft football payers, not numbers in workouts. Numbers are impt but sometimes a player fall b/c of bad numbers and ends up being a Pro Bowler.

Most of them probably draft the same way.

It's the Kuyper dorks of the world that would have you believe different. :D

The most interesting thing Scott Pioli said in the combine was that he and Bellicheck focus alot of attention towards the players "emotional make-up". Not sure how they test that but sounds different from the "brain type" stigma that GM's use.

"Emotion make-up" is a very interesting thing.

I trust Rick and I think he's one of the smartest GM's in the NFL already. I think we'll have a good draft.

Ozzy rules!!

Originally posted by RUDEbyallMEANS

"Emotion make-up" is a very interesting thing.

Face it.

He's 23 and you are fixin' to make him a millionaire.

How the h*ll do you measure someones "emotional makeup" though...??

ask them three questions
1)Will you murder or assist others in murdering people?
2)Will you have the 2nd best statistical year of any RB and then break federal narcotic laws?
3)Do you have any objections to peeing all over Joe Robbie Stadium the night before the game?

Kick em in the nads and see if he cryies or comes at you swinging.:evil:

Thats why they should get lb pope from bama in the 6th round....hes a player...just doesnt have the best workouts. The guy has a nose for the ball

what an interesting thought.....a linebacker, besides Zach, that has a nose for the ball.....Of course, there is a really fine line between a guy who has only intangibles and someone "Jackie Shipp-ish" This is going to be a VERY interesting draft. Come on Rick, let's see what you got...

Most, if not all, teams use psychological/personality testing. I remember that after SD had traded up to be in a position to draft Leaf, they had him tested by some guy called "the brain doctor". This guy was adamant that Leaf would be a bust. The Chargers, though, had already traded so much to get up there that they felt they had no choice, but take Leaf.

EQ..... Emotional Quotient is a relatively new measurement used to determine probable sucess for the future. It is similar to IQ in that it measures and is a predictor of what may occur or be probable. It differs in that it measures mainly the ability and likelyhood of someone to adapt , to fit in , to be strong emotionally and make decisions.

A strong EQ for kids is now being recognized as a very favourable factor in future endeavours. They tend to have stronger opinions , be able to think for themselves , not be shy , think abstractly and grasp different concepts.

I am sure in a football way it would help , but I think less so than in the general world.

My son was tested because he was suspected of having a very strong EQ , which was borne out , and we were told that in a nutshell people that have "it" are very likely to have a high EQ as well.

Back
Top Bottom