Spielman may be a genious?? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Spielman may be a genious??

Bowl_Bound

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Not that I think Feeley is a brilliant move, but rather that no move has been made. Nothing can happen until March. Is it possible he is creating a diversion or leverage tactic for another player? Ramsey is starting holy hell in Wash, Rivers and Henson are still options. Any chance this is just a ploy with freeley. If not can we still get henson or rivers to duke it out with freeley?

Speilman has tried to make a lot of moves the past 4 years that would of been genious. He tried to get Matt Hasselbeck, tried to draft Anquan Boldin, etc. Something tells me he's finally doing stuff his way without Dave and it might turn out to be pretty good. Could you imagine our offense with Matt Hasselbeck and Anquan Boldin?

It's not a ploy.

Jason Cole let the cat out of the bag on how this thing shook down.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/football/8012075.htm

THE SEARCH

The team has studied Philip Rivers of North Carolina State and J.P. Losman of Tulane as possible draft picks. The team also attended the workout of former Michigan quarterback and ex-New York Yankees farmhand Drew Henson last week.

But the intention all along was to go after a veteran quarterback.

To that end, the Dolphins made a strong effort to obtain Brunell on Wednesday just before Brunell finalized a six-year, $43.6 million with Washington. The deal included a signing bonus of $8.6 million.

Although the Dolphins never agreed to make a deal with Jacksonville for Brunell, two sources said the team was willing to compete strongly with the Redskins' offer.

Leigh Steinberg, Brunell's agent, declined to comment on the talks.

The Dolphins then spoke with the Redskins about Ramsey a final time before setting their sites on Feeley.

The more I look at this though, it seems like we could still be a player in the young QB market.

Feeley's potential contract is for $5 mill bonus and $18 mill over 5 years. If we were to get a Rivers/Henson and they were ready to compete with Feeley in 2 years we could keep Feeley on as the backup for a year and only have a $2 mill cap hit if we cut him the next year. I haven't seen the particulars of the deal but if the salary is back loaded like Fiedler's it could play out like the following.

Year Bonus Cap Cost Salary Status
1 $1 mill $600,000 Starter
2 $1 mill $1 mill Starter
3 $1 mill $1.5 mill Backup
4 $2 mill ----- Cut

And if Feeley ends up as the next Tom Brady we can keep him and deal Rivers/Henson.

I'm smoking crack aren't I...

Also note that its a 2 year deal with a 3 year option. 2 years would be perfect to groom a rookie.

You don't give 5 million to a back-up for signing, and you don't undermine his confidence by drafting a QBin the 1st rd either. Face facts he's our starter for better or worse. We'll sign a vet as our #2 I bet.

I don't think either wanny or Speilman are comfortable w/ him ( Sage)for some reason. Joel Collier kinda dodged questions about him after he was hired too. Wanny's job hangs in the balance this year he'll want a Neil O'donnell type in case Feeley is not "it". Just my opinion.

Feeley isnt #2, he will be the starter. Jay will be gone, after some fained attempts at restructuring for the public view so Jay can go out on his terms.

I think Jay may have a future in Dallas. It's been eerily silent in the Cowboy camp and they've been linked to every QB out there.

Jay Fiedler=Phil Simms?

No way is Bill Parcels going back to a season with a QB that threw 17 tds and 21 interceptions despite a conservative game plan.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would hope that the FO has sense enough to at least bring someone in to compete with Feeley.

Although I like him and have more hope for his success in Miami, he has not done enough as a starter to be anointed the starter without having the stress and struggles that a bonafide competition introduces.

Back
Top Bottom