Spielman not as bad as people would like to think. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Spielman not as bad as people would like to think.

Mfinsrule

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Rick Spielman is not the horrible GM that everyone seems to think he was. I relent to the fact that he did need to go based solely on the fact that he was a Wannstedt staffer and needed to be purged from the system for a new start for everyone. I firmly believe that he will land on his feet somewhere and make some team very happy. Lets look at the moves he made that people are chastising him for.................

Everyone points to the AJ Feeley trade, I point out that if Dan the man were running that system last year with that coaching staff we would have won no more than 6 games. A 2nd rounder was steep but who else was out there?! Brunnell, Garcia, and some other clowns were no better than Fiedler (scary isn't it?). He got us the best quarterback with NFL playing experience that was available, time will tell if the 2nd rounder was worth it but with what was available at the time he did ok in my view.

Lamar Gordon-After Ricky Dopesmoker left us for parts unknown we had nothing behind him, he got us a potential 1,000 yard rusher for a 3rd round pick. Not Spielmans fault that the guy got injured, Wanny's fault for putting him out there with less than 1 weeks experience in the offense.

David Boston-The roids suspension and a crappy attitude not withstanding the guy was a superstar and it cost us a 6th round pick. A low risk gamble that unfortunately didn't pan out. Hopefully his head is on straight and he is off the juice this year for us.

Adewale Ogunleye-With the money tied up in Jason Taylor there was no way we could afford 2 pro bowl DE's with the needs we had on offense. He needed to go and Spielman got the best offer available. As I remember it he spent most of the year injured anyways.

Vernon Carey-Losing a 4th to move up one spot because Meathead Tice conned him into thinking someone else was trying to move up. Can anyone name me an OL that did well picked after Carey? To assure yourself of getting at least the last best OL available it seemed to be worth it with the glaring needs we had at OL.

Reggie Howard-I have no clue why we got this guy and gave him the money we did. The only acquisition I could not figure out. I do remember at the time we had a real need for a 3rd DB and he fit the bill. I believe even Spielman was surprised at how well Will Poole looked and played and in hindsight would not have made the move for Howard.

The O-line-anyone who was impressed by any member ot the 2003 OL was wearing aqua colored sunglasses. Ricky made those holes himself. An upgrade was needed and with the limited funding we had available got us some adequate guys. Drafting Rex Hadnot with a late pick turned out well and signing John St. Clair actually turned out to be our best signing based on performance. Damian Mcintosh might even be an adequate player under Houck this year and he was not vastly overpriced anyways. Jeno James should be an adequate player and worth what he is making but not a penny more until he improves. Consistency is the key with any OL and none of these guys had ever played together before last year. Lets see what coaching will do to this group.

The last thing I need to point is that while there are better GM's out there, Spielman did the best he could amongst all the turmoil that followed this team last year. Having to fill huge holes on the roster due to injuries and walkaways on the spur of the moment would be a test to any GM's abilities. This was supposed to be a potential SuperBowl team last year and now we all know just how far we actually were. I hope he does well at his next gig unlike Dave whom I could care less what happens to.

Spielman was a victim of Murphy's Law (Or should I say Wanny's Law) last year imo.

Wasn't Rex Hadnot from last years draft?

Im sorry I got through the first 5 sentences and skipped to my reply(Too Long):lol:. There are people that think Spielman was the worst GM ever, which is wrong, his predecessor was! Then there is the faction that think he got a raw deal. I fall in the middle, I think he made some good moves, and then he got absolutely used on a few deals. Speilman tried to do the best he could with the hand he was dealt, the Eagles hosed him for Feeley. Then he got a good price for Ogun, I think a very good WR and eventually a solid RB for Ogun was a good deal. The draft trade was the kind of deals that movies are made about, he got abused by Mike "The Meathead Ticket Scalper" Tice. All in all he was no better than average, at worst bad.

I fall in the middle. Rick had some good, not great, but good picks, but, the problem is that his good picks and moves were never as good, as his bad moves were bad. Ok, I know I lost ALOT of people right there, but I think some of you follow what I said. I think the concensus though was that in order for there to be a real overhaul of this team and organization, everyone from the JJ/Wanny staff and front office had to go.

Spielman had to learn on the job, and having Wanny around certainly did not help, he might be a good GM somewhere else...

fishfan34 said:
I fall in the middle. Rick had some good, not great, but good picks, but, the problem is that his good picks and moves were never as good, as his bad moves were bad. Ok, I know I lost ALOT of people right there, but I think some of you follow what I said. I think the concensus though was that in order for there to be a real overhaul of this team and organization, everyone from the JJ/Wanny staff and front office had to go.

I couldn't have stated it better. In fact, I couldnt have stated this at all:lol:

Actaually I agree. The feeley thing will haunt us for a while. Several things where out of Speilmans hands, however, I still think that last year's draft was not as bad as people say. We got very solid depth, no stars, but several key parts. BTW: Who was the guy that went 2nd overall to the Los Angeles Traitors? I don't remember seeing him on the Pro Bowl squad. My piont being that Trading up one for big Vern might still pan out.

About Feeley, IMHO Brady is still not that great of a QB. He is very solid, and is surrounded by no weak links and a very smart coaching staff, oh and yeah he has a hand-full of large rings. Lets let Feeley have a system and some more key parts fore the final verdict is out.

Spielman is a good talent evaluator, but lacks negociation skills.

You are crazy, Speilman was absolutely brutal with this team. Remember, he was also involved in the picks before he officially had final say.

You want a lineman who did well drafter after Carey? Nat Dorsey, drafted in teh fourth round, had a very good season for the Vikes. Let's also not forget that Carey is not expected to play this year either.

A second round pick for a guy who was one of the worst starting QB's in the league last year. Desperation, he could have been had for far less, if not move on to someone else. His problem was that he lacked vision in his moves, everything was geared for that year.

Lamar Gordon, another bad move. We should have kept our picks and went into the year with what we had at RB. A third round pick for that guy when you can get average RB's anywhere is brutal. Let's also not forget that he lacked the vision to give us a solid backup for Ricky's running style. That was atrocious.

Howard, bad move.

His cap handlings? Not good. One of only six teams that are already over next years projected cap.

OL? He never could get it right.

He went into the draft dead set on getting a RT, no matter if it made sense or not. Cost us Wilfork, who was clearly a better value and more suited for our team.

He made a couple of decent mid round picks, but got no value at the top of the draft, made bad FA signings and was even worse at trades.

Bye bye Rick, you wil not be missed.

PhinsTD said:
You are crazy, Speilman was absolutely brutal with this team. Remember, he was also involved in the picks before he officially had final say..

I do remember that he was involved with the picks prior, but I also remember him lobbying for Anquan Boldin over Eddie Moore. He is a fairly good talent evaluator, just got in over his head as GM.

PhinsTD said:
You want a lineman who did well drafter after Carey? Nat Dorsey, drafted in teh fourth round, had a very good season for the Vikes. Let's also not forget that Carey is not expected to play this year either..

Where did you get that Carey isnt expected to start? From what I read he is being tried at different positions so that he can get on to the field.

PhinsTD said:
A second round pick for a guy who was one of the worst starting QB's in the league last year. Desperation, he could have been had for far less, if not move on to someone else. His problem was that he lacked vision in his moves, everything was geared for that year..

He was one of the worst Qb's behind the worst OL in football! Oh yeah he also had the worst coaching staff in the league, so I will wait until Saban is done to decide.

PhinsTD said:
Lamar Gordon, another bad move. We should have kept our picks and went into the year with what we had at RB. A third round pick for that guy when you can get average RB's anywhere is brutal. Let's also not forget that he lacked the vision to give us a solid backup for Ricky's running style. That was atrocious..

Gordon healthy is more than an average back, he is a solid runner that just got hurt. The lack of backup falls squarely on the shoulders of Wanny!!!

PhinsTD said:
Howard, bad move..

Yeah the guy who is now more than likely starting at CB for us is a bad move. Do I agree with the contract? No, but he is still a solid player!

PhinsTD said:
His cap handlings? Not good. One of only six teams that are already over next years projected cap..
Again not his fault, Wanny locked up all the money in the defense. He is responsible for the Feeley, Howard, McIntosh, James deals which McIntosh has already redone his deal. So the cap situation isnt really his fault either.

PhinsTD said:
He went into the draft dead set on getting a RT, no matter if it made sense or not. Cost us Wilfork, who was clearly a better value and more suited for our team..

Thats because RT was a serious need with Wade leaving! DT wasnt a need with a healthy Timbo and Chester.

When you think baout it Spoelman was never really the GM, He and Wanny were close friends, so therefore they agreed on every decision, Spielman was just an idiotic puppet used by an idiotic puppeteer. Rick knew he would would'nt last when Wanny resigned, and Saban comming in sealed the deal.

pwn3dyo said:
Spielman is a good talent evaluator, but lacks negociation skills.
I absolutely agree. I've also gained some respect for Rick Spielman for him stepping down. I'm more relieved to see him leave voluntarility than involuntarily.

painnotpleasure said:
I absolutely agree. I've also gained some respect for Rick Spielman for him stepping down. I'm more relieved to see him leave voluntarility and involuntarily.

He was a good man, new to the job and ojt'ing, I think he learn from his mistake, but his eye for talent is unquestioned..he got it right in terms of players, more than he got it wrotng..no GM gets 100%, but Speilman's draftee's from last year all made the team except one, and he's still on the team and kicking butt in europe..that's pretty close to 100%

one good move rick made was getting marty booker...he just gave up too much to get feeley and gordon...there was no way he should of given up a 2 for feeley...and than he compounded it by giving up a 3 for gordon...both guys were 3rd stringers ...he overpaid big time...it just got even worse because we ended up 4-12...

Back
Top Bottom