Spielman | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Spielman

dolfan91

Class Clown
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
after reading todays article in the miami herald ... i'm convinced that rick spielman would have made different draft choices than wanny had made over the past 4 years ... i now believe miami has one of the most under rated talent evaluators in the NFL ... when rick came here from chicago... most of the NFL publications such as PFW, COLLEGE AND PRO FOOTBALL WEEKLY, wrote that he was an up and coming guy with a good eye for talent ... the difference is wanny drafted and gambled ... while it seems that on the 2 occassions mentioned in the article.. rick would have stuck to his board and drafted accordingly ... it was written when he was promoted to GM that he was maticulous ... well i get the feeling that it will pay off for the MIAMI DOLPHINS ... i might be going out on the limp here but in 2 - 3 years we might have the best GM in the NFL ... his work so far in this offseason has been admirable ... he might have gambled on McIntosh, but i think it was more of a goof up than a mistake.. and he was tied into him after he realized of the injury snafu ... but he realized that he could be helpful when he gets healthy and was wise enough to re-work the contract to be cap friendly while McIntosh recouperated .... even though he has been solid.. now he gets his chance to show it on draft day ... i can feel it.. things are in good hands with spielman ...

I thought the skolnick article was one sided. could we have drafted better? of course. 99 and 2000 were the main points he was pointing to but we got ricky, surtain, Ogun, Wade, Chambers, and with no first rounders. i dont think wanny was to blame for much here considering. its easy to say we didnt draft well when we didnt have draft picks.

The Miami Herald has one thing wrong in their article.

Rick Spielman was still part of the Bears front office during the 2000 draft. Miami had Tom Donohoe consulting them in that draft, and Dave was still working to get him into the fold. Spielman wasn't added till after that draft.

all things considered .. despite no draft picks... wanny still gambled and went against the advice of spielman on what we now know is 2 occassions ... i realize it is hard but less gambling should have been done without those picks... it's obvious in the article that rick had other ideas when miami came to pick # 1 in 2001 and # 2 in 2003 ... alot of people felt wanny was the main reason he failed in chicago .. and now i see why... he doesn't draft well .. and the ONLY reason he has won here in miami is because he is coaching jimmy johnsons defense... i'm not sure he win if these players weren't here already when he arrived ... he got lucky with lamar smith.. and ran him into the ground ... thats the only positive i see .. i do understand chambers and o-gun ... but i feel the trade that was made to get into round 2 to select chambers was more rick than wanny ... as for o-gun, i also feel that the COLLEGE F/A that are signed or tageted are more rick than wanny... although wanny can take some credit in o-gun cause his daughters attended to the same school as o-gun ... anyway things didn't start to happen round here till rick got here in 2001 ... and all it has done has get wanny demoted and rick promoted to where he is about to try and prove his eye for talent .. something wanny never had...

I've said all along that I trust what Rick is doing and I think we'll have a good draft for the first time in a long time.BTW,Surtain is from the JJ era and Wanny had nothing to do with it.I'm hoping Rick will get us a playmaker with our first pick plus 3 other guys to make the team.We don't need 10 new players. All we need is a WR that can play the slot(Evans?)help for the o-line(Clarke,Snee?)a young DT(Olshansky?)and a LB and I'll be very happy with that.

Ozzy rules!!

I think you can believe anythign you want to believe. I believe Rick has forged his identitiy to be cast at the hip with AJ Feeley. This move has many NFL experts also scratching their heads.

No one knows what went on behind the scenes for the draft but the Fins staff. I think the media overhypes their connections.

So far Rick has nto really impressed me. Feeley is a reach, Boston came not because of Speilman but because of Sullivan. I could have pulled off that trade. We did get Jeno James which i belive is a solid move. But so far we were unsuccessful in aquiring any other upgrades on the line. I don't know guys, I think its earlyt o develop any opinion until we see how these players are going to pan out. Rick is still on the clock.

Rick wasn't tied into DMac when he learned of the injury. He knew that the injury, whilst not serious, needs a lengthy rehab because of the weigh being used on the ankle. It was in no way shape or form a risky pick-up or something that Miami were forced to do.

Originally posted by Boomer
Rick wasn't tied into DMac when he learned of the injury. He knew that the injury, whilst not serious, needs a lengthy rehab because of the weigh being used on the ankle. It was in no way shape or form a risky pick-up or something that Miami were forced to do.

Yah not a risk for a minimum base salary and a $300 000 signing bonus for someone who 'could' be playing RT halfway through the season. At the very least he makes for solid LT/RT depth once he's ready to go this year. Not to mention his value is pretty much shot if he doesn't play at all this year meaning he could be restructured into near minimum contracts to be RT/LT depth the next couple years.

So far I'm still not impressed with trading future picks. Feeley better show up and play well or Spielman can be up and coming out the door.

imo so far rick has passed the test of a GOOD gm, he has added young talent that still has a chance to get better, he has not wrecked or even hampered our ability to sign players by way over paying for one player. that being said, whether his first season will be called great still depends on the draft, ogun situation, and to a much lesser degree, pickups from the june 1st cuts. heres to hoping we "toast" him not "roast" him!

I think RS will do a great job, probably/hopefully better than Wanny has. I just think it's a little unfair to assume that every error in drafting was b/c of Wanny's evaluations. There are some choices that there is at least some reported evidence that RS disagreed with some choices that turned out to be poor, but you can't assume that if it was a poor pick Wanny overruled everyone and if it was a good pick Wanny just listened to RS. Take Ogun, for example. Wanny saw him while visiting his daughter's school. Wanny was a former DL himself and has brought in several good DLs while here. Odds are that Ogun was Wanny's pick. Too many people fall into the trap of thinking that if they like someone everything that person does is smart or good, but if they don't like someone, everything that person does is dumb or bad.

Just like Fiedler, Wanny has had his chance to show us what he can do (in Wanny's case, in running the FO). Just like Fiedler, Wanny has shown us mixed success -with not nearly enough of the 'good' to outweigh the'bad'. Yes, Wanny found Ogun -great pickup -but he has also not made any really positive impact in the draft, given the four years he has had. Some of this could be pinned on his team, but it looks like when he second-guessed his team he failed. RS has so far done a good job but he has only just begun, even for this offseason. If we want to be fair, we need to give him the rest of this offseason and then another few years to really evaluate his decisions on personnel. Wanny had four years, how can we compare Rick's 1/2 offseason to that?

Originally posted by Finfan80
Just like Fiedler, Wanny has had his chance to show us what he can do (in Wanny's case, in running the FO). Just like Fiedler, Wanny has shown us mixed success -with not nearly enough of the 'good' to outweigh the'bad'. Yes, Wanny found Ogun -great pickup -but he has also not made any really positive impact in the draft, given the four years he has had. Some of this could be pinned on his team, but it looks like when he second-guessed his team he failed. RS has so far done a good job but he has only just begun, even for this offseason. If we want to be fair, we need to give him the rest of this offseason and then another few years to really evaluate his decisions on personnel. Wanny had four years, how can we compare Rick's 1/2 offseason to that?

You misread my post. I'm not advocating that Wanny should have remained the GM. Nor did I try to compare RS to Wanny. All I said was that you can't attribute all the good talent evals to one person and all the bad evals to another.

Originally posted by fin-atic
I believe Rick has forged his identitiy to be cast at the hip with AJ Feeley. This move has many NFL experts also scratching their heads.

Whoa cowboy... I think you've been reading too much Pro football Talk rumour mills... :lol:

No one knows what went on behind the scenes for the draft but the Fins staff. I think the media overhypes their connections.

Oh, no one knows but you... pfft

So far Rick has nto really impressed me. Feeley is a reach, Boston came not because of Speilman but because of Sullivan. I could have pulled off that trade. We did get Jeno James which i belive is a solid move. But so far we were unsuccessful in aquiring any other upgrades on the line. I don't know guys, I think its earlyt o develop any opinion until we see how these players are going to pan out. Rick is still on the clock.

Either that white coat your wearing is strapped too tight, or you really are crazy :goof: . It's "too early to develop any opinion..." But dammit, we are fools if we don't believe yours? :lol:

The move to get Feeley has no one scratching their head. In fact, the quarterback guru of the league advised Cleveland to do the same thing. It is looking like Butch Davis, who has GM power in Cleveland, was not as excited about having Wolf as an advisor as he should have been. He refused to listen to Wolf, and instead waited on the injury prone, weak armed Jeff Garcia.

Guess which team between Miami and Cleveland has a future at the quarterback position?

Answer: Miami. Garcia will be done in 2 years, and he won't be effective in Cleveland's vertical offense. Feeley is an up and comer who has a bright future.

Originally posted by TeeMoney

Whoa cowboy... I think you've been reading too much Pro football Talk rumour mills... :lol:

Oh, no one knows but you... pfft

Either that white coat your wearing is strapped too tight, or you really are crazy :goof: . It's "too early to develop any opinion..." But dammit, we are fools if we don't believe yours? :lol:

Don't flatter yourself into thinking I gave a rats a$$ what you think. Are you trying to be a jerk on porpose by attacking me or are you ill eqipped to speak about the topic???

Back
Top Bottom