Spielman's Q&A - - Did he avoid the Ogun issue? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Spielman's Q&A - - Did he avoid the Ogun issue?

KeyHawk

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Question
Due to restrictions with the cap, would we have to loose 1 or 2 defensive starters to be able to significantly upgrade the offense?

Answer
We will have to make some tough calls on defense, either through restructuring or cutting guys to free up cap room to get some players on offense.

Spielman's answer seems to steer away from the Ogun matter. Restructuring doesn't apply since Ogun's not under contract. Obviously, they're not going to "cut" Ogun from the roster.

Key

Well not really. The question asked wasn't specifically about OGun, it was a broad question about all 11 players on the defense. And he gave a broad answer. I think you may be reading too much into it.

thats probably aimed at madison and bowens 2 guys that are going to be way overpayed if things stay as they are.

Originally posted by chambers84
Well not really. The question asked wasn't specifically about OGun, it was a broad question about all 11 players on the defense. And he gave a broad answer. I think you may be reading too much into it.

Spielman only gave part of the answer. Yes, the Fins may lose some guys who don't restructure.

The thing is, the Fins may lose a defensive player (Ogun) if a workable contract is not completed. To me, Spielman stayed away from the issue.

No, he didn't dodge the O-gun issue.....it wasn't relevant to the question....O-gun has nothing to do with us getting UNDER the cap....

Originally posted by inFINSible
No, he didn't dodge the O-gun issue.....it wasn't relevant to the question....O-gun has nothing to do with us getting UNDER the cap....

Thanks inFINSible. Exact same thing I said, just in different words. You da man!!

Originally posted by chambers84

Thanks inFINSible. Exact same thing I said, just in different words. You da man!!
Exact same thing...... in different words??.....I am da man....:lol:

It wouldn't surprise me if he was dodging stuff about Ogunleye (I'm sure some of the questions sent in were in regards to Ogun). They are still in negotiations with Rosenhaus over Ogunleye. Any comment he makes in a chat session would likely affect those negotiations.

The thing is this though. Saying we can't keep Ogun is assuming another team offers him a contract. If we tender him at 1st and 3rd, another team may NOT do that. Rosenhaus has said he would definitely seek another suitor for Ogun and not just accept the tender but what if nobody bites? And suppose someone does bite hey look on the bright side we get two picks. And say someone DOESN'T bite who knows how our cap situation might change in a year when he becomes a UFA. We could franchise him that would be nice. Negotiate a first round pick for him anyway now that he's had one more year to prove to the league he's a heavy hitter.

Originally posted by ckparrothead
It wouldn't surprise me if he was dodging stuff about Ogunleye (I'm sure some of the questions sent in were in regards to Ogun). They are still in negotiations with Rosenhaus over Ogunleye. Any comment he makes in a chat session would likely affect those negotiations.

Exactly.

If you read the entire text of that thing you'll notice that he dodged a lot of questions that were posted and I'm sure he dodged a ton more that weren't. He's in a position right now, before the draft and free agency, where he really can't say a whole lot about anything because he won't want to tip his hand one way or another on any issue that another team might be able to exploit.

He said what he could but most of it was just common knowledge or "fluff" stuff; I wouldn't expect much more until after the draft.

Originally posted by clumpedplatelet
If Miami does the right things this off-season, 2005 & 2006 cap scenarios look much brighter :(

And what would those right things be in your opinion?

Take a step backwards with the intent on cleaning up the cap situation. The following are players that impact the cap 2005 and beyond but these few things need to happen before June 1st

1) release Madison is a must.
2) release Fielder
3) do not pay Tim Bowens the option for 2005 & 2006: this forces bonus amortization from 2005 and 2006 int0 2004 cap. He would also need to take a pay cut for 2004
4) release Seau

This would free up tons of cap space in future years. This would also probably make Miami a borderline playoff team in 2004 because it would force future cap space into 2004 and make it very difficult to address needs, but the rewards could be worth the pain to y'all

HOWEVER, if Miami FO continues the recent off-season history, 2005 will be another year of cap jail and maybe even cap hell.

Last edited by a moderator:
i'm ok with us being in cap jail, id prefer being right at the cap every year and having the players we need to make a run rather than sitting on tons of money like the ravens did and the eagles may do since they may not go after/end up with ogun or terrell

Originally posted by clumpedplatelet
Take a step backwards with the intent on cleaning up the cap situation. The following are players that impact the cap 2005 and beyond but these few things need to happen before June 1st

1) release Madison is a must.
2) release Fielder
3) do not pay Tim Bowens the option for 2005 & 2006: this forces bonus amortization from 2005 and 2006 int0 2004 cap. He would also need to take a pay cut for 2004
4) release Seau

This would free up tons of cap space in future years. This would also probably make Miami a borderline playoff team in 2004 because it would force future cap space into 2004 and make it very difficult to address needs, but the rewards could be worth the pain to y'all

HOWEVER, if Miami FO continues the recent off-season history, 2005 will be another year of cap jail and maybe even cap hell.

Only thing is I think they'll keep Jay (unless they can get Brunell) and let Griese go....and make Madison take a pay cut.

Guess it really depends on how short-sighted they wanna be.

Back
Top Bottom