Spikes and Adams are packing for their move | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Spikes and Adams are packing for their move

Tatonka

New Poppa
Reaction score
http://foxsports.lycos.com/content/...ontentId=942936

the portion on adams still seems a bit speculative, but spikes is just a phone call away from being a bill at this point. Cincy has forked over 16 million for Hardy to play the position that he wanted spikes to play, MLB, and with the signing of Thorton this evening too, i cant imagine they will have any money left, except to sign the first pick in the draft.

the bills defense should definately help us be more competitive in the toughest division in football.

good signing on thompson too, btw!.. he was supposed to be in buffalo on monday.. hope he bought a refundable ticket.

i'll be the first to admit i'm nervous about the bills. i think their offense will slip without price a little, i'm not sure josh reed is ready to step into that 2nd spot yet. also, i thought spikes was an OLB. if they move him to MLB, what will come of london fletcher?

Bengals | Spikes Tells Lewis Not To Match - posted at KFFL (http://nfl.kffl.com)
20:16 PT: Len Pasquarelli reports for ESPN.com free agent LB Takeo Spikes (Bengals) phoned Cincinnati Bengals new head coach Marvin Lewis on Friday, and urged him not to match the Buffalo Bills offer sheet.

<<Cincy has forked over 16 million for Hardy to play the position that he wanted spikes to play, MLB, and with the signing of Thorton this evening too, i cant imagine they will have any money left, except to sign the first pick in the draft.>>

Hardy's first year cap # will only be about $2 million & Thorton's will be around $1-1.5 million. Cincy still has room to match & sign the first pick.

<<also, i thought spikes was an OLB. if they move him to MLB, what will come of london fletcher?>>

He was referring to Marvin Lewis wanting Takeo to move back to ILB & slide Simmons to OLB.

hardy's contract should include a signing bonus, plus a 4 mill a year average.. i would think it would be closer to 3mill a year, if not higher.. and thorton (totally imho) will be much more than 1.5 mill a year.. he has visited 4 other teams... he is a good young talent.. if he was willing to sign for peanuts, he would have been signed by now..

but again, this is speculative, until we get the figures..

regardless.. the signing of hardy means the exit of spikes i believe. and the signing of Thorton may make sam adams realize that cincy is not an option, maybe he signs for a little cheaper, and tom donahoe realizes there is another good DT off the market and finds a way to make the deal work.

Bengals | Contract Details: Thornton - posted at KFFL (http://nfl.kffl.com)
20:18 PT: Len Pasquarelli reports for ESPN.com free agent DT John Thornton's new six-year deal with the Cincinnati Bengals is worth $22.5 million. The deal includes a $5 million signing bonus. "He loved his visit (to Cincinnati) and struck a real rapport with Marvin Lewis and (defensive coordinator) Leslie Frazier," agent Harold Lewis said of Thornton.

that works out to 22.5 mill = 3.75 mil a year.. so maybe a 2-3 mill hit in the first year.. not bad really for a good young player.

i still cant believe the skins got noble for so cheap!

If you sign Spikes and Adams then we could be looking at a decent defense.Reason why I wouldn't call them good is those ends are very questionable .Buffalo might have a hard time getting to QB but I'm sure they are planning on Blitzing Spikes alot.

Jones coming back from injuries and Schobel look like he was going to breakout last season at first but then he looked overmatch most times.

NFL contracts, or any other pro sports contract, doesn't go by averages. The first year base salary is most of the time dirt cheap. Hardy signed for 4 years & averages $4 million a year with him taking home $5 million in the first year in salary & bonus. That's telling me that it's a $4 million signing bonus & a base salary of $1 million the first year. Prorate the signing bonus over the 4 years of the contract & that's a $1 million cap hit. $1 million + $1 million is $2 million.

Like I said Thorton's cap hit this year would be about $1-1.5 million. That's $.833 million vs the cap for his signing bonus plus the cheap first year base salary.

<<Bengals | Contract Details: Thornton - posted at KFFL (http://nfl.kffl.com)
20:18 PT: Len Pasquarelli reports for ESPN.com free agent DT John Thornton's new six-year deal with the Cincinnati Bengals is worth $22.5 million. The deal includes a $5 million signing bonus. "He loved his visit (to Cincinnati) and struck a real rapport with Marvin Lewis and (defensive coordinator) Leslie Frazier," agent Harold Lewis said of Thornton.>>

Originally posted by SMadison29
NFL contracts, or any other pro sports contract, doesn't go by averages. The first year base salary is most of the time dirt cheap. Hardy signed for 4 years & averages $4 million a year with him taking home $5 million in the first year in salary & bonus. That's telling me that it's a $4 million signing bonus & a base salary of $1 million the first year. Prorate the signing bonus over the 4 years of the contract & that's a $1 million cap hit. $1 million + $1 million is $2 million.

Like I said Thorton's cap hit this year would be about $1-1.5 million. That's $.833 million vs the cap for his signing bonus plus the cheap first year base salary.

<<Bengals | Contract Details: Thornton - posted at KFFL (http://nfl.kffl.com)
20:18 PT: Len Pasquarelli reports for ESPN.com free agent DT John Thornton's new six-year deal with the Cincinnati Bengals is worth $22.5 million. The deal includes a $5 million signing bonus. "He loved his visit (to Cincinnati) and struck a real rapport with Marvin Lewis and (defensive coordinator) Leslie Frazier," agent Harold Lewis said of Thornton.>>

point taken:eat:

i still dont think they match for spikes at this point do you?

spikes contract offers 17 mill in the first 3 years.. it is front loaded.

The top DT free agents last year were LaRoi Glover, Grady Jackson, Larry Chester, Lionel Dalton, Josh Evans & Brandon Mitchell, all of their first year base salary's were $.525 million.

<<i still dont think they match for spikes at this point do you?

spikes contract offers 17 mill in the first 3 years.. it is front loaded.>>

If they could afford him in 2004 & 2005 I'd match it. I wouldn't care what he said. If he can help the team win then he'd be staying. That would give them one of the top 3 LB units in the NFL(Wash & Pitt) with Simmons-Spikes-Hardy.

Originally posted by minus
If you sign Spikes and Adams then we could be looking at a decent defense.Reason why I wouldn't call them good is those ends are very questionable .Buffalo might have a hard time getting to QB but I'm sure they are planning on Blitzing Spikes alot.

Jones coming back from injuries and Schobel look like he was going to breakout last season at first but then he looked overmatch most times.

i hear what your saying..

in my opinion.. schobel just needs some help.. he is progressing fine imho.. he will never be what bruce was, but we expect a phil hansen..

on the other side, there is definately a question about jones.. we hope he returns to his 13 sack, speed rushing 2000 form.. and the addition of mckenzie, another speed rusher who had 8 sacks, 3 seasons in a row should help too..

not to mention, posey is a poor mans colvin.. a speed rushing OLB, who is pretty good at the point of attack..

so, while their are plenty of questions about WHERE the heat will come from, i think we have added enough help (assuming adams comes to buffalo) that there will be pressure coming from the ends, and if not, the middle of the pile or the OLBs at all times..

but i could be wrong, and we wont know for months..

i also wont be surprised if we took a DE with our newly aquired 1st rounder.

Originally posted by SMadison29
<<i still dont think they match for spikes at this point do you?

spikes contract offers 17 mill in the first 3 years.. it is front loaded.>>

If they could afford him in 2004 & 2005 I'd match it. I wouldn't care what he said. If he can help the team win then he'd be staying. That would give them one of the top 3 LB units in the NFL(Wash & Pitt) with Simmons-Spikes-Hardy.

yes or no answer.. do you think they match for him?

Me-yes I would

Bengals-no, because "Signing the (offer) sheet would definitely be a message that he did not want to stay here," Bengals coach Marvin Lewis said. I don't think Lewis will keep someone who doesn't want to be there.

Back
Top Bottom