Sporting News- 2014 Dolphins preview | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Sporting News- 2014 Dolphins preview

Daytona Fin

Queeks Draw
Club Member
Reaction score
I picked up the 2014 Sporting News Pro Football magazine today while at Publix. I wrote a large summary of it but I accidentally hit backspace and lost it all so I'm not writing again. Here is a brief summary from Ben Volin's preview of the Dolphins.

dogsampyard009_zps4b754366-1.jpg

They have us ranked at #22 in their power rankings going 3rd in the division. Their Super Bowl pick is 49ers over Colts.

Here are the position grades

Quarterbacks- B-
Running Backs- B
Receivers- B
Offensive Line- C+
Defensive Line- A-
Linebackers- C+
Secondary- B
Special Teams- B

Breakout Candidate-Jarvis Landry
Bottom Line
There's no sugarcoating it: The Dolphins need to make the playoffs this year.Stephen Ross wants to win- last year's eight wins ere the most since he took over full ownership of the team in 2009- and won't be patient with Philbin if he doesn't deliver a playoff berth in his third season. Miami unfortunately plays in the same division as the Patriots, who look primed for a Super Bowl run, and the Jets and Bills look much improved as well. But this team has a top 10 defense and some intriguing speed on offense. I'ts fate will almost uncertainly come down to third year developments of Tannehill, and whether he can cut down on the sack sand interceptions. The Dolphins who were close to the playoffs last year, have to get over the hump.

49ers over colts? pleeeeeze. neither of those teams will be in the super bowl! And if were third then who's second? The bills? Oh yeah that hype train always keep rolling past week 5.............

Sent from my ass using Tapatalk

Yeah I think the Pats will make one last real strong run and the Bills could be on their way up. The Jets will be **** though, strong enough to play spoiler for us or the Bills but they'll max out at 8 or 9 wins. I think this will be a breakout season for Tannehill stats wise but he'll still need to grit out a win or two, and that's the part that worries me.

49ers over colts? pleeeeeze. neither of those teams will be in the super bowl! And if were third then who's second? The bills? Oh yeah that hype train always keep rolling past week 5.............

Sent from my ass using Tapatalk

Jests

Grading the rb situation better than the qb is a weird one

running backs c plus
offesensive line c minus
linebackers c minus
until proven otherwise

I do not beleive that this team is going to be in the .500 range. One of two things is going to happen with this team, it is either going to make a decent playoff push or it is going to fold up like a cheap suit. This unit is either going to find ways to grow and win or it will end up another prune and rebuild at years end.

There is no middle ground this season and no excuse, find ways to win games or exit stage left. Miami is either going to have a winning season or end up less than 6-10.

I do not beleive that this team is going to be in the .500 range. One of two things is going to happen with this team, it is either going to make a decent playoff push or it is going to fold up like a cheap suit. This unit is either going to find ways to grow and win or it will end up another prune and rebuild at years end.

There is no middle ground this season and no excuse, find ways to win games or exit stage left. Miami is either going to have a winning season or end up less than 6-10.

I feel the same. I've been looking at us and saying "7-9, 8-8 or maybe 9-7" for a while, but my thinking has changed on that. I really feel we're going to be unexpectedly worse or unexpectedly better than .500.

I'm predicting 6-10. Bottom line is that the quarterback isn't good enough. As one GM said, he doesn't scare anyone. He had to beat one of two cream puff opponents, and was beyond awful.

I'm predicting 6-10. Bottom line is that the quarterback isn't good enough. As one GM said, he doesn't scare anyone. He had to beat one of two cream puff opponents, and was beyond awful.

Eh....

Probably about 4 QB's that 'scare' teams.

No specific order

1. Rodgers
2. Brady
3. Manning
4. Brees

Apart from that you have QB's that have 'scare' traits, Kap/Newton/Wilson scamble ability etc.....

But to say the Dolphins will struggle because Tannehill doesn't scare teams? Only 4 QB's really 'scare' teams IMO.

Give the kid a half decent O-line and he will shine.

Disagree, this team is not going to win less than 8 games barring major injuries to key players. Tannehill and Philbin are both average at worst which means its highly likely we finish at least average. Plus we still have Grimes, Wake, basically 14 rookies and Tannehill himself should be quite a bit better in his third season.

Bad gamblers tend to panic over short term results, you see it all the time especially in the stock market, which is why its no surprise to see us ranked 31st by some and many predictions suggesting a 2011 type season. But Vegas, the professional gamblers, actually has us trending up.

Think about this:

- week 16 the forum was looking ahead to the playoffs and the feeling was we could make some noise, with good reason too seeing as we had already beaten most of the playoff teams.
- 10-6 was right there for us and would have most definitely happened with 2 more good performances from Tannehill. But it wouldn't have felt like we deserved 10-6, it felt like we were a 6-10 team, 10-6 would have came out of nowhere. To me that is a sign we might have a good team. I often wonder at which specific moment Seahawk fans realized they have a great team, I know week 4 into 2012 a lot were questioning everything about the franchise, maybe some of them still don't believe they have one of the elite teams of the NFL? Its easy for an outsider to see they've become elite but when you are on the inside the change can feel so gradual that you just might miss it.
- The departure of Ireland should give the players a morale boost if you are to believe some of the stories from former players as to the hatred towards him. Hickey doesn't even have to be better, the change alone should be like lifting a giant stone off the teams shoulders. I think Hickey is a lot better though at least in the way he deals with the players, we'll see about the talent evaluation, can't be much worse though.

So Vegas has it right, the team is trending up but we still have a giant obstacle in our path in the Patriots. In my opinion if you could run the season out over millions of iterations while 6 wins or less would be possible I think we would finish with 8 or 9 wins the vast majority of the time, like 80%, and 7 and 10+ wins would account for about 15%. So 6 wins or less comes into play only like 5% of the time for me.

Eh....

Probably about 4 QB's that 'scare' teams.

No specific order

1. Rodgers
2. Brady
3. Manning
4. Brees

Apart from that you have QB's that have 'scare' traits, Kap/Newton/Wilson scamble ability etc.....

But to say the Dolphins will struggle because Tannehill doesn't scare teams? Only 4 QB's really 'scare' teams IMO.

Give the kid a half decent O-line and he will shine.

Others I would include, at least if they're healthy, are Rothleisberger, Luck, Kap, Eli, Newton, Matt Ryan, Wilson. (And of course, Mark Sanchez). Others that might end up being on the list include Nick Foles and RGIII.

We'll see this year if what was really holding Tannehill and the offense in general back was Sherman. Most of the time though, bringing in a new offensive coordinator doesn't change things as much as the initial hype suggests. Look no further than maybe the six different OCs the Dolphins have had in the past ten years with little to show for it. Or, on the flip side, the number of different of OCs the Patriots have had with the same level of success.

Others I would include, at least if they're healthy, are Rothleisberger, Luck, Kap, Eli, Newton, Matt Ryan, Wilson. (And of course, Mark buttfumble). Others that might end up being on the list include Nick Foles and RGIII.

We'll see this year if what was really holding Tannehill and the offense in general back was Sherman. Most of the time though, bringing in a new offensive coordinator doesn't change things as much as the initial hype suggests. Look no further than maybe the six different OCs the Dolphins have had in the past ten years with little to show for it. Or, on the flip side, the number of different of OCs the Patriots have had with the same level of success.

With all due respect, that would mean half the NFL QB's 'scare' teams?

I'm sorry but if I see Eli on the schedule? Matt Ryan? Wilson? Not scary.

Wilson is part of a scary team. But the guy himself does not impact much. The D and running game freak me out.

Nick Foles doesn't scare anyone, it's the Eagles play calling and scheme. RGIII is a fumble or interception waiting to happen.

NFL QB's that scare teams are the ones that can make all the right reads and right throws. Hell, they make the throws no one else can. They make the throws no one else thinks of even trying.

Back
Top Bottom