Sporting News Article Describes Tannehill Draft Pick As A Reach | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Sporting News Article Describes Tannehill Draft Pick As A Reach

The article makes the mistake of assuming that any given team can swap picks at will. Let's pretend that Tannehill was the 33rd ranked player in the draft. That's wonderful and irrelevant since Miami had the 8th and 42nd picks in the draft....

What these talking heads fail to realize is that teams have to build a roster and other teams are drafting too. The picks are not made in a vacuum. If the Dolphins liked Tannehill, they need to take him at the lowest possible pick they can while maintaining some assurance that nobody else will take him earlier. In 2012, that pick was 8th. Multiple reports had other teams planning to pick him soon after the 8th pick. All these BPA evangelists would be eviscerating the Dolphins for taking at DT 4 years in a row because "that was the best player available".

I would say he must still be with the Dolphins or bagging groceries somewhere, and given the stats he has already amassed it must be the former and not the latter. ;)
i dont really understand your response. simple question. if you draft a qb in the top 10, do you expect him to change and impact your franchise in all areas? are you drafting a franchise changing player in the top 10, especially at QB. answer the question please, if you would have known this qb would have zero playoff appearances 4 years later, do you still take him?

i dont really understand your response. simple question. if you draft a qb in the top 10, do you expect him to change and impact your franchise in all areas? are you drafting a franchise changing player in the top 10, especially at QB. answer the question please, if you would have known this qb would have zero playoff appearances 4 years later, do you still take him?

Implicitly, I would have assumed and expected that same franchise would protect said QB so that he isn't sacked 18 times in the last 4 games to end the '14 season and isn't pissing blood after most games in the '15 season. If someone would have told me that in advance: I'd have said "hell if we have a shot at Luck, let's still pass cuz we'd still be drawing against a straight flush" (as his sub-Tannehill performance and Indy OL woes this past season would have borne me out).

Of course I still take him. I'm not stupid. Now you answer a question: can a QB go to the playoffs without his team? In the past 15 years, how many QB's have made it to the playoffs while the rest of their teams watched the game from home? Just answer the questions.

The Dolphins, unlike successful franchises, did worse than doing nothing when they got Ryan Tannehill. They used rookies not even suitable as backups for their starting line, and they brought in a diva receiver known to not be QB friendly and raked Tannehill across the coals for not making that diva a superstar deep threat.

Case rested.

FYI: David Steele article in Sporting News describes the Ryan Tannehill draft pick as having been a reach (and by implication a failure):

"The targets are on their backs. One or all of them could go in the first round, and thus have a chance to join the illustrious ranks of Blaine Gabbert, and Christian Ponder, and E.J. Manuel, and Jake Locker, and Brandon Weeden, and Ryan Tannehill, and Johnny Manziel. That's just the last five drafts."

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl-new...-round-jared-goff-carson-wentz-browns-cowboys

Have at it Dolfans.

Guess David Steele also thought the great Andrew Luck was just as big a reach....

.........................G......Att/Comp.......Pct......Yds.......Avg..........Yds/G.....TD....Int.....Lng........Sck...Rate

Andrew Luck.....55....2,106/1,224.....58.1...38.3....14,838..........269.8...101.....55.....87......115...85.0

Ryan Tannehill..64....2,248/1,392..61.9...35.1...15,460..........241.6....87.....54.....80.......184...85.2

You'd think out of all fan bases Dolphin's fans would appreciate that evern Marino, one of the greatest of all time, couldn't do it all by himself.

But Marino's individual advanced metrics such as W/L always strongly correlated to playoffs. Always. Don't think his W/L was ever <1.000.

W/L is not a QB statistic. Those outcomes are attached to a coaches career.

You'd think out of all fan bases Dolphin's fans would appreciate that evern Marino, one of the greatest of all time, couldn't do it all by himself.

The problem is we have a bunch of 20 somethings on here who have little idea who Dan was for this franchise nor do they really care. They're the same people who say who cares about the perfect season, which should tell you all you need to know about them as fans and their opinions they spew.

Back
Top Bottom