Sports Buzz 8-12 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Sports Buzz 8-12

gafin

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Biggest surprise of Dolphins training camp so far? Any conversation would probably begin with Dallas Thomas.
Despite the Dolphins’ deficiencies on their offensive line last year, Thomas was entrusted with just three offensive snaps all season.
But Thomas, to this point, has held off free agent acquisition Shelley Smith and rookie third-round pick Billy Turner for the starting job at right guard, though coach Joe Philbin cautioned it’s still an ongoing competition.
“Really explosive, real athletic,” left tackle Branden Albert said of Thomas. “He’s got a lot of tools I don’t have. He’s going to be a hell of a player.”
Thomas, selected in the third round in 2013, said Tuesday “it hurt that I had my chance in training camp last year but blew it.”
That made him determined to add muscle and reduce his body fat this offseason, which he achieved by hiring a nutritionist and refining his diet.
“He has performed pretty well,” coach Joe Philbin said. “He got better; you could tell when you watched the tape last year that he was developing. Obviously, fans didn’t get to see that on Sundays.
“Then he had a very good offseason program. He was one of the guys that was here voluntarily in February and March, working with our strength and conditioning guys.”
The Dolphins believe Thomas can play tackle if needed, but for now, they’re having him focus on guard.
Thomas is comfortable playing alongside rookie first-round pick Ja’Wuan James, his former teammate and roommate at the University of Tennessee. Philbin said James played “pretty well his first game” but “I wasn’t crazy about his start.”

JORDAN ROLE The Dolphins remain resistant to making Dion Jordan a linebacker, even though he’s likely not going to be on the field much on first down as long as he remains primarily a defensive end.
“There is only X amount of time that you have on the practice field and you have to decide how you want to spend his time,” Philbin said. “One of the things we’ve wanted him to practice on a continual basis is pass rush. So if we’re going to give him an opportunity to compete as a linebacker, you’re taking him out of that element… in his practice time.”
### Cornerback Will Davis continued his strong training camp by intercepting a poorly thrown pass from Brady Quinn on Tuesday. “I feel so much more technically sound,” Davis said.
Jamar Taylor, competing with Davis for playing time, was beaten by Rishard Matthews for a touchdown, on a Ryan Tannehill pass, on the final play of practice. But Taylor also had a sack on a blitz.
### Rookie receiver Jarvis Landry got some first-team snaps instead of Brandon Gibson on Tuesday.
### Sidelined for the Dolphins on Tuesday: running backs Daniel Thomas (who has begun running) and Mike Gillislee (both with hamstring injuries), offensive tackle Jason Fox (chest), defensive tackle A.J. Francis (knee), tight ends Charles Clay (knee) and Harold Hoskins (hamstring) and defensive end Micajah Reynolds (knee).
Sounds great about Thomas!
http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-buzz/

Last edited by a moderator:
all this will davis vs jamar taylor stuff. why not use them both, teams are using more and more 4-5 WR sets and even when they don't they use TEs like a WR. Taylor might be able to guard an athletic TE

Well with the Brady Quinn signing I expect the int to go up!

When I evaluated Dallas Thomas at Tennessee I thought he was a good scheme fit at Guard for us...then he got here and looked like he had no business on an NFL roster...figured I blew that eval. At least he looks like he belongs now...still think he eventually gets beat out by Turner but he could maybe shift to LG next year when Colledge is gone.

That last pass for a TD against Jamar Taylor was a well thrown ball and a very tough catch...Taylor had good coverage just a solid throw and catch...not much you can do about that.

Jason Fox can't stay healthy but he's probably the best backup LT we have on the roster unless they decide to give Billy Turner a chance over there to backup Albert.

When I evaluated Dallas Thomas at Tennessee I thought he was a good scheme fit at Guard for us...then he got here and looked like he had no business on an NFL roster...figured I blew that eval. At least he looks like he belongs now...still think he eventually gets beat out by Turner but he could maybe shift to LG next year when Colledge is gone.

That last pass for a TD against Jamar Taylor was a well thrown ball and a very tough catch...Taylor had good coverage just a solid throw and catch...not much you can do about that.

Jason Fox can't stay healthy but he's probably the best backup LT we have on the roster unless they decide to give Billy Turner a chance over there to backup Albert.

might as well according to hoops Turner is best fit at LT

Can't defense perfect throws. We didn't have a good angle but that throw looked Rodgers-esque.

might as well according to hoops Turner is best fit at LT

i said turner imo best fit was at right tackle...long term...when i evaluated him in college...i do think the more i watch jason fox the more comfortable i get with him as a backup tackle...it's just can he stay healthy or not

nate garner is probably the first option at right tackle if something happened to james right now...sure looks that way...but i'd like to see miami get turner some reps at some point...i guess they could come during a week if we had an injury to a starting tackle

interesting about landry getting some first team reps over gibson today...i think i read it was red zone work reps...i'd sure like to see him get some run with the 1's in the next 2 preseason games...

i said turner imo best fit was at right tackle...long term...when i evaluated him in college...i do think the more i watch jason fox the more comfortable i get with him as a backup tackle...it's just can he stay healthy or not

nate garner is probably the first option at right tackle if something happened to james right now...sure looks that way...but i'd like to see miami get turner some reps at some point...i guess they could come during a week if we had an injury to a starting tackle

interesting about landry getting some first team reps over gibson today...i think i read it was red zone work reps...i'd sure like to see him get some run with the 1's in the next 2 preseason games...

The thing about that TD we're talking about, while it was a perfect throw and catch Taylor looked to be attached to Gibson's hip on the entire route, maybe he's not moving too good for some reason.

my apologies

Good to hear about Thomas. I have not been a fan of his, at all, and if he's making strides that's great.

As to Jordan- he's the ultimate joker player and best suited as a 3/4 OLB on a team that runs a 4/3 and traded up to get him with the 3rd pick in the draft. If the coaching staff can't find a way to run a hybrid 4/3- 3/4 defense that maximizes his nearly unique talents, that's on them. The dude can pass rush, cover and run like a deer- at least he could before the team had him put on the extra weight. He still gets tied up at the LOS and his weakness is holding his own at the LOS and getting tied up with big and athletic OL, getting ridden outside just like what happened all the time at Oregon. If they can't get Jordan rushing the passer, disguising coverages and dropping off in pass coverage, or just play damn OLB where he belongs, then they never should have drafted him in the first place- let's not forget that the FO passed on a shot at drafting Star Loutulelei (perfect replacement for Paul Soliai) and Menleik Watson to draft Jordan. Watson becomes our starting RT and then we wouldn't have had to reach for Ju'Wuan James- could have taken who should have been drafted there, WR Brandin Cooks, or slid down and picked up the extra third rd pick. Then you can add Trai Turner and Martavis Bryant to this year's draft haul, if that happened and the FO didn't reach up for Billy Turner and give up a 4th rd pick. That isn't hindsite imo as much as it is what should have happened.

But regardless FO, play the hand well that you now have and learn a lesson from Don Shula- use your players in ways that play to their strengths- Jordan is an incredibly athletic pass rusher and coverage OLB, and that's where he belongs. If he's not moved around significantly, dropped back into coverage and used to disguise defenses and to confuse opposing QBs then he'll probably never see his true potential. And that's a shame.

Good to hear about Thomas. I have not been a fan of his, at all, and if he's making strides that's great.

As to Jordan- he's the ultimate joker player and best suited as a 3/4 OLB on a team that runs a 4/3 and traded up to get him with the 3rd pick in the draft. If the coaching staff can't find a way to run a hybrid 4/3- 3/4 defense that maximizes his nearly unique talents, that's on them. The dude can pass rush, cover and run like a deer- at least he could before the team had him put on the extra weight. He still gets tied up at the LOS and his weakness is holding his own at the LOS and getting tied up with big and athletic OL, getting ridden outside just like what happened all the time at Oregon. If they can't get Jordan rushing the passer, disguising coverages and dropping off in pass coverage, or just play damn OLB where he belongs, then they never should have drafted him in the first place- let's not forget that the FO passed on a shot at drafting Star Loutulelei (perfect replacement for Paul Soliai) and Menleik Watson to draft Jordan. Watson becomes our starting RT and then we wouldn't have had to reach for Ju'Wuan James- could have taken who should have been drafted there, WR Brandin Cooks, or slid down and picked up the extra third rd pick. Then you can add Trai Turner and Martavis Bryant to this year's draft haul, if that happened and the FO didn't reach up for Billy Turner and give up a 4th rd pick. That isn't hindsite imo as much as it is what should have happened.

But regardless FO, play the hand well that you now have and learn a lesson from Don Shula- use your players in ways that play to their strengths- Jordan is an incredibly athletic pass rusher and coverage OLB, and that's where he belongs. If he's not moved around significantly, dropped back into coverage and used to disguise defenses and to confuse opposing QBs then he'll probably never see his true potential. And that's a shame.

Last years drafts sucks....we all know that and the number of scenarios we can develop that are better then the trade that happen are endless and pointless in hindsight...

As for Jordan...I think he ends up being used in a similar roles he was used in last year with an increase in snap counts....he's going to have a hard time breaking into that starting line-up with Vernon still playing very well and Wake on the other side. The team already runs a large variety of defensive scheme that do just what you ask....highlight his strengths, the problem is, he hasn't done a lot with those opportunities with a few exceptions...

Last years drafts sucks....we all know that and the number of scenarios we can develop that are better then the trade that happen are endless and pointless in hindsight...

As for Jordan...I think he ends up being used in a similar roles he was used in last year with an increase in snap counts....he's going to have a hard time breaking into that starting line-up with Vernon still playing very well and Wake on the other side. The team already runs a large variety of defensive scheme that do just what you ask....highlight his strengths, the problem is, he hasn't done a lot with those opportunities with a few exceptions...

And meanwhile, our starting OLBs blow chow...

And meanwhile, our starting OLBs blow chow...

They are hot garbage....I see at least one losing his starting position....

If anything....last years draft got Ireland out of the building...

Back
Top Bottom