Sports Xtra: Drew Rosenhaus predicts that at #22 the Dolphins select... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Sports Xtra: Drew Rosenhaus predicts that at #22 the Dolphins select...

jim1

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Forrest Lamp OG Western Kentucky

If they don't take Lamp, Rosenhaus listed his top four finalists (no particular order):

Derek Barnett
Charles Harris
Malik McDowell
Takkarist McKinley

I think that Barnett and McDowell are clients of Rosenhaus.

This was on the Sports Xtra tv show in south Florida last night Sunday 4/23 at 11:30 et. Rosenhaus is a regular on the program.

I agree with Lamp of that group...

What surprises me is not seeing Jarrad Davis in his top 4 finalists. I still think that Lamp is just too good to pass up and makes too much sense (can't get around the Ju'Wuan James contract issue). Maybe we draft Lamp at #22, a Guard like Ben Braden with our last pick in the 5th rd. and then go defense the rest of the way, this is a very deep defensive draft.

Last edited by a moderator:
I still think if you can find a trade partner, moving down in the 1st is the way to go. This is a deep draft.

Drew is close to everything I've heard.... close but not complete. But he did mention 3 guys who are at the top of Miami's draft board.... I'll let you guys pick which 3 ;)

Drew is close to everything I've heard.... close but not complete. But he did mention 3 guys who are at the top of Miami's draft board.... I'll let you guys pick which 3 ;)

I advise anyone interested to become a VIP member. One of the many benefits is Chambers reports

Just read your VIP writeup, ChambersWI. For my guesses: Two outta three ain't bad, and the one I got "wrong" it sounds like is still very much in play :)

Malik McDowell is a Drew Rosenhaus client; I believe we can disregard him. I just do not see it for Miami.

Derek Barnett is also a Drew Rosenhaus client but there have long been indications the Dolphins do covet him. I am not the biggest fan. I like him, but I think they could do better. Regardless, Drew is telling it straight on Barnett, and I would be willing to bet he is not telling it straight on McDowell.

Forrest Lamp as the final pick by Rosenhaus looks interesting to me. Especially as we see Mike Pouncey walking around on crutches at Aaron Hernandez's funeral. A lot of teams project Lamp as a guy that could eventually play center. Clearly he can play guard, and I think he can play tackle. Miami will value that versatility. But I will say internally they seem to be trying pretty hard NOT to be linked with Lamp. They're trying to signal D all the way. It's others around the league who are saying Miami are locked in on Forrest Lamp.

Who is right? I don't know.

But they won't get a shot at Charles Harris. Of that I am positive. He will probably be the #2 DE drafted behind only Myles Garrett. I have been saying for a while that he's the #2 true DE behind Garrett, and maybe even a better pure pass rusher than Garrett. Solomon Thomas inserted himself into that group, I put him #2 but with the caveat that he's not really playing a comparable position or role as Garrett or Harris. Solomon Thomas WILL move inside on pass downs. I don't see how that doesn't happen. So it's really a different player and he will be subject to the needs of the teams in the top ten. Why did Rosenhaus say Charles Harris? One because it's probably true but also because I think he hopes his client goes ABOVE Harris (which actually, Derek has a fair chance of doing) and thus Harris could be the one who slides. I think that's a bit of wishful thinking though.

Will they get a shot at Takkarist McKinley? Odds are they will not. It's close. It's almost a coin flip. But he's got a lot of potential takers. On film, he has as much potential as any player in the draft except Garrett. His hands are crap, partly because he played with two shoulder injuries for two straight years and so he basically couldn't use his hands very well. But his feet and core are made of pixie dust and deer antler spray. He is ASTOUNDING in what he can do with his feet and his core. You just don't run into very many players this explosive and dominant. There are games he's clutching his shoulders in pain after every play, you can tell he can't even lift his arms, and he goes ahead and puts a move on a GOOD player and sacks the quarterback anyway. This is stuff that NFL players that are remembered for decades do, and he does them. And that's not even to say anything of his versatility, since he has ludicrous speed for the position. Talent-wise if he has zero problems medically, Takkarist McKinley never makes it to 22. But he does come off shoulder surgery, recovering from two shoulder injuries he played with in 2015 and 2016. And he's a bit raw in some departments as a result. That has an impact on your draft standing. This is why it's almost a coin flip.

I would have thought safety a stronger consideration for Miami at 22 than it's turning out to be. But you know what? Jamal Adams and Malik Hooker will be LONG gone. Like, top FIVE gone, somewhere like that. Jabrill Peppers probably off to the Cardinals, Titans, Buccaneers, or Redskins...even with the drug fail. Hell, I put it 50/50 whether Obi Melifonwu gets to the Dolphins pick at 22 because whichever teams that are in for Peppers and don't get a crack at him could easily go with Melifonwu (looking at you, Redskins and Titans).

Takk is the real deal, and for all of the reasons given Lamp makes sense, and I would include to that the overhanging issue of the Ju"Wuan James contract in 2018. Lamp, Takk and Jarrad Davis- any of those three would be fine with me, plus with all the CB depth we could go there as well. I don't feel the pressing need at DE that some do, plenty deep draft and we do have Wake, Hayes, Branch and Fede. At Safety we have Nate Allen and TJ McDonald, who I like and will be available in week 9. Lamp is a stud, Takk is a stud, Davis is I think a stud but not quite as studly as the first two. CB- can't go wrong if the talent is there- actually in rds 1-3. Cam Robinson- awfully solid player for OG and OT as another source of Ju"wuan james insurance, not to mention an upgrade.

I didn't know where else to tuck this question, but are we playing our annual game of picking 20 players who we think are on Miami's radar, and then seeing who gets the most hits on Dolphin draftees? I think its been ten plus years we've been doing that.

I don't think we're interested in Lamp at 22. Just my hunch. Gase has an inexperienced first time DC and a patchwork defense. I think he knows he has to subordinate his need for a guard. If Howard fell to us, I could see us taking a shot. But we've got to try to fill the guard spot later and I think Gase knows how much he needs to help Burke.

Forrest Lamp OG Western Kentucky

If they don't take Lamp (#20 to Denver), Rosenhaus listed his top four finalists (no particular order):

Derek Barnett (#11 to N.O)
Charles Harris
Malik McDowell (#18 to Tenn.)
Takkarist McKinley

I think that Barnett and McDowell are clients of Rosenhaus.

This was on the Sports Xtra tv show in south Florida last night Sunday 4/23 at 11:30 et. Rosenhaus is a regular on the program.

Guess we're stuck with our choice of 3-4 OLB/under-sized DEs.

RW

Back
Top Bottom