Stadium upgrade could bring MLS to Miami | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Stadium upgrade could bring MLS to Miami

We used to have a soccer team. The stadium was empty mostly and the team folded or moved, don't remember.

We used to have a soccer team. The stadium was empty mostly and the team folded or moved, don't remember.

sounds a bit like how Miami seems to feel about its NFL team these days and apparantly the baseball team!

The reason that Joe Robbie stadium sucks for football fans is because it was designed to allow for soccer games. I say no.
Just enclose the sidelines permanently so we can have a proper football stadium.

We had a soccer team 12 years ago in North Fort Lauderdale. They may have been called the Miami Fusion, but that stadium is anything but Miami. It was during a time when the Spanish population still hadn't reached that far north in Broward and the Carribbean population (Jamaican, Haitian, Dominican, Trinidadian, etc.) was nothing compared to now.

I enjoy soccer ... every four years in the Olympics just like most Americans. it's a great game but I cann't really get behind a sport where 3 points is considered an offensive explosion.

I enjoy soccer ... every four years in the Olympics just like most Americans. it's a great game but I cann't really get behind a sport where 3 points is considered an offensive explosion.

It's a dumb, unmarketable sport.

ESPN knows it, but is pushing it now..........For what reason?
Demos I assume. It's dumb.

Actually we have a soccer team now. The Ft Lauderdale Strikers play in the secord tier of soccer in the US. They need to draw better before MLS would consider a franchise down here.

Also, the reason the sidelines are too wide at JRS has nothing to do with soccer. It's the baseball that Robbie planned for that made them even wider.

If you have the real multi-dimensional and strategic football - who really gives a **** about soccer?

Those who don't understand how much soccer is growing in the US either doesn't pay much attention or just doesn't like soccer. MLS is a much better ran league than it was even a few years ago. I believe only a few teams (DC, New England, and Seattle) don't have their own stadiums (San Jose doesn't but they just broke ground to make a new stadium) and the league was actually the 2nd most profitable pro league in the US behind only the NFL (ironically, NHL and MLS which don't get great ratings are more profitable than MLB and NBA... the latter of which lost I believe $150 million the season before the lockout). Soccer is also now the 2nd most played sport among youths in the country behind only football. With the MLS teams, and even lower leagues like the USL, opening academies more kids are getting better training and in turn, our youth national teams are starting to get better. 5-6 years ago, the only academy was down in Bradenton.

And MLS does decent stuff for NBC's new sports network. Of course, they really push the league (and NHL).

Of course something like that would be appealing to Ross. Not just because of an MLS team, but because of WC qualifying, maybe even being a host city for a WC in the future (the 2018 bid Qatar won will probably be re-done since it came out FIFA accepted a bribe), as well as hosting friendlies for big European teams when they do their US tours (which make really good money).

Those who don't understand how much soccer is growing in the US either doesn't pay much attention or just doesn't like soccer. MLS is a much better ran league than it was even a few years ago. I believe only a few teams (DC, New England, and Seattle) don't have their own stadiums (San Jose doesn't but they just broke ground to make a new stadium) and the league was actually the 2nd most profitable pro league in the US behind only the NFL (ironically, NHL and MLS which don't get great ratings are more profitable than MLB and NBA... the latter of which lost I believe $150 million the season before the lockout). Soccer is also now the 2nd most played sport among youths in the country behind only football. With the MLS teams, and even lower leagues like the USL, opening academies more kids are getting better training and in turn, our youth national teams are starting to get better. 5-6 years ago, the only academy was down in Bradenton.

And MLS does decent stuff for NBC's new sports network. Of course, they really push the league (and NHL).

Of course something like that would be appealing to Ross. Not just because of an MLS team, but because of WC qualifying, maybe even being a host city for a WC in the future (the 2018 bid Qatar won will probably be re-done since it came out FIFA accepted a bribe), as well as hosting friendlies for big European teams when they do their US tours (which make really good money).

Where did you get that they were the second most profitable league in us. I think u read attendence but the MLS has not made a profit as of yet so its not among the most profitable leagues. None of the other leagues have over 2/3 of the the teams losing money. THe MLS is so far below these leagues in profits and revenues its not even worth discussing.

last time I checked NASCAR is a pro league and I bet their books dwarf MLS!

Miami once had a MLS team and it failed, what makes things different this time around?

Back
Top Bottom