Start of Free Agency - Player news thread. | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Start of Free Agency - Player news thread.

Gives you an idea of what Wilkins will be looking at when he signs a long term deal.

And IMO he deserves it.

As a biased fan wanting your team to always be good, you hope he leaves just a little on the table so the team can sign other good players, but that doesn't happen as often.

Gives you an idea of what Wilkins will be looking at when he signs a long term deal.

I still don’t think he gets or is worth anywhere near this. He’s a 13-17 million dollar range guy. The reason Payne got this is mostly because he’s coming off a 11.5 sack year. In comparison Wilkins has had 11.5 in his whole 4 year career. Maybe wilkins is better in other areas but it’s a fact that sacks get you a big bag in the nfl. Here’s a list of interior lineman salary’s most of these guys are 6+ sacks a year guys or had a monster 10+ sack year just prior to signing their deal. Only Vita Vea is up there that excels in the other areas yet still gets paid too dollar. Where’s wilkins fit in on this list.

Attachments

• 7CB6B8D2-2E0E-441F-81D6-45C0A2D319C8.png
    7CB6B8D2-2E0E-441F-81D6-45C0A2D319C8.png
    107.7 KB · Views: 18
Have to think Wilkins is looking at this
I love Wilkins, but there is no way he should be paid that much. He plays a lot of snaps and has a lot of tackles; those are great things. Payne had 11.5 sacks and 18 run stuffs last year. Wilkins has 11.5 sacks in his career and had 16 run stuffs last year. As good as he is, he adds basically nothing as a pass rusher when compared to guys like Chris Jones and Daron Payne. There is a reason his expected salary is in the $15-16M range. I’m sure he will get more from us as he is a team leader, but we can’t afford to break the bank for him. Also, I’d prefer he got a long term deal that isn’t voided in 2 years.

I love Wilkins, but there is no way he should be paid that much. He plays a lot of snaps and has a lot of tackles; those are great things. Payne had 11.5 sacks and 18 run stuffs last year. Wilkins has 11.5 sacks in his career and had 16 run stuffs last year. As good as he is, he adds basically nothing as a pass rusher when compared to guys like Chris Jones and Daron Payne. There is a reason his expected salary is in the $15-16M range. I’m sure he will get more from us as he is a team leader, but we can’t afford to break the bank for him. Also, I’d prefer he got a long term deal that isn’t voided in 2 years.
I saw another post (maybe yours) mentioning the sacks / age thing also. That’s a good point

Wonder if they swap out Ogbah for Wilkins regards salary?
They could trade or cut him after this year at cost of 4 mill I believe then pay Wilkins the 17-18 they had marked for Ogbah.
May be a bit more if the cap goes up.

What were Wilkins' numbers pre and post Chubb? It seemed like he came on more after the Chubb arrival.

I saw another post (maybe yours) mentioning the sacks / age thing also. That’s a good point

Was probably mine was arguing with another member about him not being worth nearly as much in another thread. Wilkins is almost 2 years older which I think also plays into it. 4 years wilkins will be 32 while Payne will be 30. Love Wilkins but we can’t overpay. Personally I think the guy loves football and loves being in Miami so don’t think he’ll ask for a crazy amount but you never know agents tend to get in players ears.

What were Wilkins' numbers pre and post Chubb? It seemed like he came on more after the Chubb arrival.

Damn good spot. Not sure when Chubb got here but first 8 weeks he graded as the 31st best dlinemen with a 71.9 grade not bad pretty good. However week 9-18 he graded out as the #3 dlinemen with a grade of 89 which is nearly perfect.

Weeks 1-8
EDD85571-B8E5-47BC-A05A-E1BE83D649D7.png

934D530E-CA08-4FFC-ACF1-274A8221715B.png

have to be very careful in what we do now....I think we'll start by trying to bring back some of our own free agents and see what happens after that.

Something to keep on mind. We have about 20 free agents of our own so lets say we bring back 4 or 5 of them......that leaves a lot of free agents and we need to hope they get nice contracts from other teams......with the limited money we have left we might not be able to get any big free agents out there so we should have a net loss of several free agents.....why is this good?......because at last we could get several comp picks for the 2024 draft which we really need since we're already missing our 3rd and 4th round picks.

You can’t build a team with only free agents and making trades for high paid guys......you need the draft too so I'm hoping we'll get multiple comp picks out of this.

It's also very interesting to me that we haven't gotten much word about re-signings so far. The only guy back is Ahmed? Must be a tell of what McDaniel thinks about a lot of the roster, especially the back end. Though don't be surprised if we get an avalanche of re-signings today. I'm expecting at least one of Mostert and Wilson to return

It's also very interesting to me that we haven't gotten much word about re-signings so far. The only guy back is Ahmed? Must be a tell of what McDaniel thinks about a lot of the roster, especially the back end. Though don't be surprised if we get an avalanche of re-signings today. I'm expecting at least one of Mostert and Wilson to return
Or Grier is letting them test the market and playing a game of chicken with the rest of the league.

Back
Top Bottom