State Of The Organization Address | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

State Of The Organization Address

Ghetti13

Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
This has been a frustrating off-season for our beloved team. Not since the ouster of Dan Marino had I been more frustrated with the direction of this organization. So, where do we stand?
The retirement of Ricky Williams is by no means a "blessing in disguise." Ricky is a powerful running back with terrific vision, great speed, and the ability to take over the game. He was easily one of the elite backs within this league. Also, keep in mind, Ricky was a very big investment for this franchise. A two first round pick investment. And unless they are going to run with Minor-Morris-Henry and Russell, they are going to lose another pick or player in order to fill that starting spot. This is a devistating turn of events...Even if we sign the one step-slower-post-ACL Edgerrin James next offseason. Keep in mind, there are players out there that can be had through a trade, however, most will not come easily. A couple names to remember are Michael Bennett, and Anthony Thomas. If they are going to go after a young back, and possibly lose a first rounder, I feel they must strongly pursue Larry Johnson, who I believe can be had for the right price. He is the complete package, something Thomas, and Bennett are not. (Thomas and Bennett can probably be had for conditional 2005 picks depending on performance this season) However, by the time this is all said and done, the best bet is that Miami will bring in a run of the mill player to split time with Minor. This is ironic because after two years of Jay Fiedler running an offense that defenses knew could not produce anything but short outs and slants because of Fiedler's poor passing skill, now the Fins won't have much of a running game to help the developing A.J. Feeley.
That brings me to the quarterback situation. Jay Fiedler is a great backup quarterback. People can argue with me all they want but the numbers and my eyes don't lie. Jay is 32 years old. He makes alarming decisions when it is crunch time. 60.9 rating when behind. 45.6 rating when throwing more than 20 balls. 35.7 on 3rd downs. 39.6 on 4th downs. 23 in the 4th quarter. The man is a walking turnover. It is not his fault completely. Ask yourself, if you were handed the reigns of an NFL offense even if you were not qualified, would you take em? Of course you would, Jay is no different. He does his best. He simply does not have adequate arm strength and accuracy. Defenses are not stupid. Who would you make beat you, Jay or Ricky? They chose Jay, and regretably for us, it was the smart decision.
Keep in mind, none of us can say what type of quarterback A.J. Feeley will be, however, I can say what kind of quarterback Jay Fiedler is. He is a utility backup who does not have the skills to make even the most unathletic defenses stay honest.
We should be ready to give Rick the benefit of the doubt on A.J. I would love to talk with the guy who KNEW Tom Brady, Matt Hasselbeck, Aaron Brooks, Jeff Garcia, Trent Green, Marc Bulger, Jake Delhomme, Kurt Warner and Rich Gannon were not flops before they played their first season as a starter. Nobody knew, in fact, most people probably called for a replacement before they took their first snap; so how do the Dolfans KNOW A.J. is not the answer? Rick has shown the ability to make the hard decisions this offseason. That is something Dave cannot do. Landing David Boston for Fletcher and a pick is a stroke of genius. It is a win/win situation. If Boston flops, Miami loses nothing. The contract they had him sign is loaded with outs for the fins if he steps out of line. Jeno James brings a tenacity to an offensive line that had become unathletic and emotionless. Antuan Edwards has Pro Bowl ability and will push Arturo. Reggie Howard is a physical corner who will TACKLE. St. Clair can backup at every position on the line if need be, and he came very cheep. Even McIntosh, the mid-march embarrassment, will push Wade Smith and provide a starter caliber backup once he is fully recovered. Rick had enough guts to get rid of the aging players on this team that Dave had fallen in love with. Spielmans draft was also impressive. You win on offense with the offensive line first. It can be tough for fans to stomach a first round offensive lineman pick, but that is how you win. Carey will be a dominating right tackle for many years. Poole was a stroke of genius. A first round talent with a chip on his shoulder and a knack for game changing hits; something the secondary has lacked for many years. Bua was also a great pick. He's a hitter with great emotion, something I hope rubs off on everyone else on the team.
The fact of the matter is that Dave Wannstedt is still the coach. He is not simply losing control of the team, he has lost control, long ago. When things get tough, he turns into the deer in headlights we expect. The team has absorbed this personality, making them completely unable to win big games late in the season.

The season is not over by any stretch of the imagination. See, sometimes these are the types of things that push teams over the top. It brings a team together and most importantly breads voices....leaders. This teams has no leaders. That is the difference between them and the elite within this league.
Nobody has to believe me, but this team is very close. Miami has enough talent, all it will take is some leaders. Some strong voices who can back it up on the field. If that happens we will see our first Super Bowl appearance since Daniel Constantine Marino's second year. With or without Ricky.

You win with vocal, playmaking leaders, a strong defense, a strong offensive line, and a quarterback who makes good decisions and possesses the threat of connecting on any pass on the field........Not aloof running backs. See New England Patriots 2003. Nobody is qualified to say that this team does not possess those things.

Again Ricky's timing sucked. The draft would have been different if we knew this in advance. What a thing to do to an organization and city and fans across the country who embraced him after his problems in New Orleans.

As for your article the draft went well but Ricky screwed us and we will be very hard pressed to replace him at this juncture. Pray for preseason debris from somewhere in the NFL to wash ashore in Miami in the next month.

darkoak said:
I know I can't give up on this year, but every time I look at Ricky's retirement, I almost puke.
You know they say medicinal marijuana is a cure for severe nausea! Sorry, I'm just trying to make humor of this man! :goof:

DrewOldSchool said:
You know they say medicinal marijuana is a cure for severe nausea! Sorry, I'm just trying to make humor of this man!
If I thought it would help I'd for sure blaze some of B.C.'s finest. He must be chronic, and the NFL is cramping his style.

Back
Top Bottom