Statistical Analysis of Rodgers D-Line Units | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Statistical Analysis of Rodgers D-Line Units

PhinPhan in MA

Starter
Reaction score
I thought I'd look at how our new D-line coach Kacy Rodgers performed in the same role during his time with the Cowboys.

I used the Football Outsiders advanced metrics to try and pick out some trends or areas of strength/weakness.

Here is the article: http://phinaticism.blogspot.com/2008/02/statistical-analysis-of-rodgers-d-lines.html

From 2005-06, the numbers put up by Dallas' defensive line were emblematic of a 3-4 defense (The Cowboys installed the 3-4 in 2005, the year of Rodgers' promotion to defensive line coach). The units' Adj. Line Yards ranks were low (30th and 20th), but their 10+ ranks were very high (3rd both years). This means that Dallas' defensive lines, in general, were letting opposing runners get past them and into the second level, where the linebackers and secondary succeeded at bringing the runners down before breaking long runs.

I found Rodgers' lines in Dallas to be inconsistent in run defense, but generally very good in pass rushing. From his first year to his third year, the unit generally improved in most categories.

Also, it's important to note that these numbers are more properly the stats of the defensive line and linebackers together, but I'm calling it defensive line stats for simplicity.

In any case, he's going to have his hands full getting this unit back to being a good run-stopping group after this horrendous season.

After looking at the numbers, what do you think of Rodgers?

well,he's also young...38...so i'm gonna hope he gets better as a coach and can help our D-Line improve and get wayyyy better.

I think our D didn't want to play last year for that regime. I even seen JT half-tailing it out there most of the year. We were 4th in the NFL before Cam got here and made it a priority to make roasting Zach infront of the team his first act. We won't run a 3-4 and should be fine IMO. Rodgers will be fine because he will have healthy players that we missed last year and hopefully a Chris Long to go on the opposite side of JT. Cam and co. couldn't screw that up.

Back
Top Bottom