Steve Sarkisian: I'd take Matt Barkley over Andrew Luck | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Steve Sarkisian: I'd take Matt Barkley over Andrew Luck

This Matt Barkley guy...definitely only average talent...

[video=youtube;jX8PlVYM4GY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jX8PlVYM4GY&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Great video, thanks.

The two throws that really stick out to me are at 52 seconds and at 3:13. Those are two amazing throws that I don't think a lot of NFL QB's can make right now. Great anticipation and although he doesn't have a rocket launcher for an arm, these two throws show he can thread a needle when he needs to.

[video=youtube;jX8PlVYM4GY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jX8PlVYM4GY&feature=youtu.be[/video]

I'll be the first to admit that he has great pocket awareness but, my problem with him lies in his arm strength. I feel as if rg3 offers more in that aspect as well as a dual threat as a runner. Plus, I dont think Matty is any taller than 6-1.5

Good clips, thx. He shows good accuracy, good placement, throws a good deep ball. What I really liked seeing was more zip than I expected on some of the out patterns. What stands out to me is not his arm, it's his feet. Great escapability, scrambling. But I see see his arm, on an NFL level, as ok, nothing more. That doesn't mean that he can't turn out to be outstanding (ie Joe Montana/lack of a tremendous arm), but ideally, with a top 5 pick, I'd want a QB with a gun. Maybe that's being too greedy or demanding, I don't know. My preference would still be Weeden in the 2nd- I could live with Barkley as a Dolphins top 5 pick, given our circumstances, but I just wouldn't love it.

I think you guys are a bit too in love with arm strength.

His arm is no worse than Aaron Rodgers', Tom Brady's, Peyton Manning's, Phil Rivers' and Drew Brees' when they came out. And they along with Big Ben are the top QBs in the game today. That should tell ya something.

his arm reminds me of matt ryan...its plenty good enough...and from my experience through the years yeah a bazooka arm is pretty damn nice but its overrated...can the kid make every nfl throw??? with matt barkley the answer is yes and thats all that matters

and those feet should stand out...they're damn good

Barkley and D Thomas. Wouldn't know if I was watching an NFL game or Riverdancing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good clips, thx. He shows good accuracy, good placement, throws a good deep ball. What I really liked seeing was more zip than I expected on some of the out patterns. What stands out to me is not his arm, it's his feet. Great escapability, scrambling. But I see see his arm, on an NFL level, as ok, nothing more. That doesn't mean that he can't turn out to be outstanding (ie Joe Montana/lack of a tremendous arm), but ideally, with a top 5 pick, I'd want a QB with a gun. Maybe that's being too greedy or demanding, I don't know. My preference would still be Weeden in the 2nd- I could live with Barkley as a Dolphins top 5 pick, given our circumstances, but I just wouldn't love it.

Keep in mind this video was not at all intended to showcase Barkley's deep ball. I believe there are only 3 deep balls in there, all incomplete. Though, two were on target and catchable, and one wasn't...which provides a nice cross-section of what you find if you look at his total film. A thorough examination of his deep ball finds that 1 out of 3 are caught, 1 out of 3 are off target, and an additional 1 out of 3 are uncaught for reasons that the quarterback can't help (dropped, receiver lost the ball in the air, defensive pass interference, coverage was too good tight, miscommunication on a back shoulder attempt, receiver lost track of his feet and stepped out of bounds, etc). In this case the three deep balls that are in there, one was a stupendous throw by Barkley from right to left but Robert Woods inexplicably failed to stay in bounds in the end zone. Another was perfectly on target but the coverage was tight, there was a little bit of defensive pass interference there, and the receiver could only get one arm up to try and catch the ball. The final was a big throw I think about 60 yards, and Barkley led the receiver about a yard too much. Like I said, that's a good cross-section of his deep ball throws, those percentages hold up over the entire season.

Regardless, I chose the clips I chose because of his having to move, get out on a roll, or his having been pressured on the throw. This is not the deep ball video.

I've been a Barkley fan for a couple years now. And I'd take Barkley over Luck too. Both will be damn good imo, but I just like Barkley in the pocket more. He will no doubt break the USC curse of mediocre QBs (Palmer had a shot before that knee injury).

size and athleticism luck...luck feels pressure and climbs the pocket better than barkley...barkley knows when to get rid of the rock...better pure passer i give the edge to luck...but like i've said all along...any other year barkley more than validates the #1 overall pick...

so if you get either of them feel great about it...

size and athleticism luck...luck feels pressure and climbs the pocket better than barkley...barkley knows when to get rid of the rock...better pure passer i give the edge to luck...but like i've said all along...any other year barkley more than validates the #1 overall pick...

so if you get either of them feel great about it...

Even if you disregard the age differance , and imo you shouldn't , you can't ignore that Barkley is 21 and a true junior and Weeden is a 5th yr player . You said it , one more year for Barkley and how would he be performing, look and be graded? That alone should be a huge factor when comparing both players.

It is 7 year age differance btw , not 6 as was mentioned in this thread. That Weeden has talent isn't the issue as I see it , more you have to evaluate him and he isn't playing on a level playing field as it were , again imo.

Back
Top Bottom