Sturgis: Anticipations For 2014 | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Sturgis: Anticipations For 2014

Caleb Sturgis' Field Goal Percentage Will Be (What?) In 2014?

• His FG % will drop this year compared to that of last season.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • His FG % will be, roughly, about the same this year than that of last year.

Votes: 12 12.8%
  • His FG % will improve this season from that of his rookie year.

Votes: 78 83.0%
  • Other (please comment on the option you selected).

Votes: 2 2.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Other: Hopefully he's replaced by the end of camp.
76.50% field goal is not acceptable for an NFL kicker, but the team spent a fifth round for him. My guess is he got another year to prove himself. He probably will improve from his first year, simply because the bar was set really low.

Considering that he had a groin injury a good deal of the season, I am expecting a better year....higher FG percentage, more points scored, more touchbacks, and more long bombs (50+ yarders).

If thats not a nagging injury.He should improve this year.If not time for him to find employment elsewhere.

I say it improves. I am not looking at his stats and don't know what they were, I know it wasn't good. From what I remember, there were a good amount of long ones he just missed, I remember one the wind really affected. I don't really remember any horrible shanks. I think he was definitely not good, but had some bad luck. I think he will be an above average NFL kicker

He was 23-27 up to 50 yard kicks. He missed four 50+ kicks as a rookie and games on the line. Those 50+ were close to 60 and like SB2 mentioned no one ever made a kick at Pittsburgh into the wind.

I know times have changed and kickers are more accurate with stronger legs but 76% was a very good kicker 15 years ago. The kid kicked behind a team that the line didn't know how to block so expecting specials to block is a bit much. The kid will be better, we should have stuck with Carp but we made a cost cutting decision. Sturgis will improve with an offseason and a team improving a pathetic blocking core.

23-27=85%. 85% on kicks up to 50 yards is pretty reliable! Kid will improve his focus and only get better during the off season. The big question is and always will be for kickers is what is their mental makeup in stress time?

He was 23-27 up to 50 yard kicks. He missed four 50+ kicks as a rookie and games on the line. Those 50+ were close to 60 and like SB2 mentioned no one ever made a kick at Pittsburgh into the wind.

I know times have changed and kickers are more accurate with stronger legs but 76% was a very good kicker 15 years ago. The kid kicked behind a team that the line didn't know how to block so expecting specials to block is a bit much. The kid will be better, we should have stuck with Carp but we made a cost cutting decision. Sturgis will improve with an offseason and a team improving a pathetic blocking core.

Who the heck cares what was good 15 years ago? 76.5% was good enough for 28th in the league this year, so I don't give a damn what was good 15 years ago. If he was worried about his kick getting blocked (which none were) then he's a worse kicker than I thought and would be a terrible pressure kicker.

The most important stat was he was 66.7% on his kicks in the 4th quarter, his worse percentage in any quarter. I don't care if you're a rookie, you're on the team to get the job done and he didn't last year, if he doesn't improve this next year he's out, no question.

The good news on him is that he went from 72% kicking in the first half of the season to 81% in the last 8 games of the season. 81% is still not good enough, but it's an improvement.

Back
Top Bottom