Subject Change: Who's washed up? | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Subject Change: Who's washed up?

Boik14 said:
I definitely agree what seem to be the public sentiment with guys like Faulk, Garner, Favre, Tim Bo, Rice, Sapp, Woodson, Vinny, etc.

I dont agree on Keyshawn or McNair. McNair played last season when he shouldnt have been playing much at all. he had a busted sternum that required offseason surgery and took away from his ability to throw the ball; he threw in games in constant pain but toughed his way as far as he could go. Aside from the fact I love the dude's guts Hes only 31 or 32 and Qbs often play well into their mid-late 30's. hes easily got another 2-3 years in him.

Keyshawn was victimized by a poor surrounding cast and a poor qb. I think he could easily be an effective possession wr (which is all he ever was since he never had deep speed). Chambers stats were garbage too cause of the same issues and no one is calling him washed up. I dont like him but he is far from done imo.

I dont agree on Toomer for similar reasons to Keyshawn. Rookie Qb learning how to play @ this level.

Also gannon retired a few days ago. I feel bad cause these last 5-6 years were the best of his career. Nothing was expected of him coming out and he managed to make an effective career from his work ethic, study habits and accuracy. If he hadnt been a raider I would have liked him more.

Now Ill add a few to the list:
Jon Ogden; his pass blocking skills have slipped dramatically. Maybe hes not entirely done but hes not what he once was either.
Jerome Bettis (cant believe no one said him yet)
Jimmy Smith
Wayne Chrebet
Peter Boulware
Rod Smith

I disagree on Ogden (he was injured last year), Bettis (I know it was a great O-line, but he played very well last year), and the Smiths to a degree (they each had some big games, but suffered a bit due to injury (Jimmy) and poor QB play at times (Rod from Plummer)).

WitheringPlant said:
Bettis... are you crazy? He almost got 1k yards as a BACKUP. Maybe by himself he would be slowin down, but with Staley in the backfield with him, he has some time left.

That's what I'm saying... he really stepped up as a starter, when he wasn't supposed to have that much of a load to carry.

Larry Chester and Tim Bowens should both retire and live a healthier life then they will if they keep playing with these injuries. Plus I dont think they will ever be the same if they play another down.

SORRY if someone has already posted this

SwimminInIndy said:
you wanna talk about man crushes on favre? what about his biggest fan, john madden. in the midst of doing something he loves like eating a duck stuffed into a chicken stuffed in a turkey he will stop eating and bring up favre. he would be talking about something totally different and bring up his cream dream brett.

"you know something, i like to eat, and im fat....but speaking of that, have you ever seen brett favre throw a football? the man is out of this world, he just goes back, and BOOM! touchdown. i love him."

That reminds me... I'd like to extend the range of this thread to NFL commentators as well... I think Berman and Madden are both washed up.

The two of them use the same lines over and over. Berman's "He could...go...all...the...way" was my favorite, until I heard it for the 100 billionth time.

Madden, on the other hand, needs to stick to video games. He comes up with the most asinine comments I've ever heard. I call him "Captain Obvious", due to the brilliant pregame analysis he gives:

"To win this game, the Giants have to score more points than they allow the Eagles to score".

Goin` Deep said:
Jerry Rice...he should have quit before the `04 season, he did nothing for the Raiders or Seaducks last year.
Kurt Warner
Eddie George...is he even on a roster still.
Wayne Chrebet
Rob Konrad...wait, he already quit.
Drew Bledsoe
Kordell Stewart...see Eddie George.
Junior Seau...he`s got ALOT to prove to Miami in `05.
Troy Brown...not a starter anymore, can he make it as DB? No!
Charles Rogers...we`re still waiting to see him play half of one season.
Tim Couch...again, is he even on a roster somewhere?

I really can't agree with Charles Rogers... he was hurt, and he's seriously talented.

DeeAy3000 said:
Brian F'ing Griese, he shows a glimpse of brilliance every where he goes but lets face it, he will never be anything more than a flash in the pan type QB where ever he goes. Guranteed TB will pick top 5 next year.

Hines Ward has seen his zenith and his pitfall is imminent, I may catch some flack for this one but this guy is OLD.

a few more....

- Trent Green (how god do you have to be to run this offense? oh well he still sucks)
- Edgerrin James
- Terrel Owens
- Matt Hassellbeck
- Tiki Barber

I just tried to name the ones that come to mind that no one else has mentioned (as far as i know)

Holy cr@p, I hope you're joking about some of these!

• Hines Ward is one of the absolute best WRs in the NFL!!! Did you watch him play at all last year?
  • Edgerrin James is one of the top RBs in the league... he is back in full form, and proved it with his well-rounded performance last year.
  • TO was arguably the #1 receiver in the league last year
  • Tiki was 5th in the league in rushing, behind a bad O-line!
Trent Green is overrated, and possibly on the verge of being washed up.

Hasselbeck - I'm not sure on him yet.

PhillyDolfan said:
I sort of agree about Favre......for some reason the media has a HUGE man crush on him and he somehow he gets a free pass for all his mistakes. I don't know if it's time to retire ....But his window is closing QUICKLY

Favre should not retire, nor is he washed up. If Green Bay cut him, do you really think his agent would have to send a memo to all 32 teams to get him a job ?!!! He would be our starter in a second. Rice on the other hand should retire...

painnotpleasure said:
Here's the list of almost all of the players mention:

Brett Favre, Jerry Rice, Vinny Testaverde, Rich Gannon, Steve McNair, Drew Bledsoe, Amani Toomer, Doug Flutie, Marcellus Wiley, Warren Sapp, Kurt Warner, Eddie George, Mark Brunell, Jake Plummer, Sam Cowart, Keyshawn Johnson, Kyle Turley, Tim Bowens, Junior Seau, Marshall Faulk, John Lynch, Charles Woodson, Deion Sanders, Rod Dayne (Bust?), Mike Alstott, Gary Andersen, Morten Andersen, Brock Marion, Ted Washington, Terrell Buckley, Wade Smith, Jerome Bettis, Jimmy Smith, Wayne Chrebet, Peter Boulware, Rod Smith, Dan Wilkerson, Jonathon Ogden, Brad Johnson, Trent Dilfer, Terry Glenn, Troy Vincent, Bobby Taylor, Kordell Stewart, Troy Brown, Charles Rogers, Tim Couch (not sure if I would call it washed up... probably just a BUST but he's done regardless.)

Also one I'd like to add that I'm surprised I didn't see mentioned... Tim Brown

The ones I agree with and feel are washed up are in BOLD

Nice summary! Also, good addition with Brown... he definitely fits the bill.

WitheringPlant said:
Edge- 1548 yards, 4.6 AVG. Not even close to dead.
Owens- 1200 Yards, 15.6 AVG. I'd love for one of our receivers to have those #s.
Hasselbeck-3382 Yards, 22 TD, 15 INT. And remember, his receivers have a habbit of dropping the Ball
Barber- 1518 Yards, 4.7 AVG. Morris and Minor together had 911...
I don't care much for Green, so I'll leave that. So then, who are you going to say next, Michael Vick :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:.

Yeah, I really didn't understand those!

painnotpleasure said:
I hope you're kidding.

Trent Green- Yeah sure their O-line is the best in the NFL and they have the best rushing attack in the NFL in my honest opinion. But other than Tony Gonzales they don't necessarily have OUTSTANDING AMAZING WR's... Johnnie Morton and Eddie Kennison.... STARTING. :rolleyes: Trent Green isn't washed up and has backed it up with stats the past few seasons.

Edge- You're kidding, right? After last season... 1548 yards.. 4.6 AVG, his highest rushing average ever in his career and 9 rushing touchdowns. Also 51 catches for 483 yards and he played and started all 16 games last season.

TO- No... Just no. No need to prove anything...

Matt Hasselbeck- I'll give you some leeway, it's still undetermined though if he was just a one hit wonder or just had a bad season last year.

Tiki Barber- I'm beginning to think this might be a joke but the fact you threw Hasselbeck in concerns me. Tiki had the best season of his career last year and led Giants to a 4-1 record until Coughlin eventually threw Eli in too early... 1581 yards (career high) 4.7 Average, 13 Rushing Touchdowns (career high), 77 First downs (career high), 52 receptions for 578 yards.

I wouldn't call Trent Green, Edgerrin James, Terrell Owens, or Tiki Barber "WASHED UP" and as for Matt Hasselbeck, I wouldn't say he is washed up... I would say that he is on the hot seat this season and has A LOT to prove.

Well said, man.

TarHeelFinFan said:
Ricky Williams. In 2003 he averaged a scant 3.5 yards per carry and scored only 9 rushing TDs as a featured back in a rushing-oriented offense. Following that season he abandoned his team to leave

Any educated NFL fan would realize that:

• His 2003 numbers were decent (you forgot to mention his yardage)
  • The real reason he didn't do better was Dave Wannstedt's lack of a system.

Back
Top Bottom