Sunday Jackson Chatter | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Sunday Jackson Chatter

AL R

Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
• Only six active NFL players have a higher career yards-per-catch average than Kenny Stills (16.5), and Dolphins coach Adam Gase said he “definitely” wants to get him involved more after he was targeted just 63 times last season (compared with 165 for Jarvis Landry).

Stills says that excites him and “the numbers don’t lie” about Gase’s offenses.

But the chemistry must improve with Ryan Tannehill. Though a bunch of Stills’ targets were difficult deep routes (and that must be taken into account with this stat), he caught only 42.8 percent of passes thrown to him, compared to 70.4 for Rishard Matthews (now with Tennessee), 66.7 for Landry, 50.9 for DeVante Parker and 50 for Jordan Cameron.

Stills had only two drops last season, so many of the incomplete passes were errant throws by Tannehill. Gase has been impressed with Stills so far this offseason.

• Jordan Phillips has been getting a look at first-team defensive tackle, opposite Ndamukong Suh, and says he has been "losing a lot of body fat,...trying to get in better shape to play longer.” He said he wasn't happy with his rookie season.

"We’re looking for him to make a big step this year," Gase said. "I think for a man his size, he’s pretty quick. He’s powerful. Our biggest thing with him is being able to keep him on the field and get him going and be productive on a consistent basis. Every time – week in and week out – he becomes a guy that whoever’s in there with him, that group is disruptive.”

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/spor...ore-on-bosh-situation-dolphins-canes-mar.html

Stills needs to be a more complete WR, not just going for deep passes. Let's hope can be more versatile

---------- Post added at 11:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:03 AM ----------

• Only six active NFL players have a higher career yards-per-catch average than Kenny Stills (16.5), and Dolphins coach Adam Gase said he “definitely” wants to get him involved more after he was targeted just 63 times last season (compared with 165 for Jarvis Landry).

Stills says that excites him and “the numbers don’t lie” about Gase’s offenses.

But the chemistry must improve with Ryan Tannehill. Though a bunch of Stills’ targets were difficult deep routes (and that must be taken into account with this stat), he caught only 42.8 percent of passes thrown to him, compared to 70.4 for Rishard Matthews (now with Tennessee), 66.7 for Landry, 50.9 for DeVante Parker and 50 for Jordan Cameron.

Stills had only two drops last season, so many of the incomplete passes were errant throws by Tannehill. Gase has been impressed with Stills so far this offseason.

• Jordan Phillips has been getting a look at first-team defensive tackle, opposite Ndamukong Suh, and says he has been "losing a lot of body fat,...trying to get in better shape to play longer.” He said he wasn't happy with his rookie season.

"We’re looking for him to make a big step this year," Gase said. "I think for a man his size, he’s pretty quick. He’s powerful. Our biggest thing with him is being able to keep him on the field and get him going and be productive on a consistent basis. Every time – week in and week out – he becomes a guy that whoever’s in there with him, that group is disruptive.”

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/spor...ore-on-bosh-situation-dolphins-canes-mar.html

2nd rd pick during same season as signing Suh. Need huge results from him on finally stopping the run. We are entering the 3rd season of potentially having a bad run defense, enough is enough

A motivated Jordan Phillips next to Suh would be ridiculous. Think Suh and Nick Fairley in Detroit.

i think he's motivated, now it's just conditioning and having enough gas in the tank to go hard whenever he's in there.

He had more than 2 drops last year and seems to always be gimping and lacked physicality. Hopefully he can have a better year.

Phillips stepping up big time would be huge for us. Beyond huge actually. If he became a star in the making (as a second rounder he should have a decent chance going into year 2) our defense will improve drastically. If he can win his one on ones and possibly even force teams to help on him it will make our DE's, LB's and CB's better. Esepcially the lbs, if they can keep kiko free and clean and the corners can press their guys off their routes we could have a really disruptive defense. Phillips and Suh need to dominate every game for that to happen though imo.

I don't know how anyone could say with a straight face that Stills only had two drops last year.

Did that person even watch the games?

Stills had huge, crucial drops -- some of which were probably called "passes defensed" simply because 1. He had ZERO separation. and 2. He couldn't hang on to a ball that had a defender's presence even within a yard of him. So weak that anything contested turned into a pass defensed. Aka, Tannehill's fault.

It's the old, "Tannehill is holding Hartline back!" argument wrapped in a nice Stills dress. Same garbage, even with lipstick.

LD

I don't know how anyone could say with a straight face that Stills only had two drops last year.

Stills had huge, crucial drops -- some of which were probably called "passes defensed" simply because 1. He had ZERO separation. and 2. He couldn't hang on to a ball that had a defender's presence even within a yard of him. So weak that anything contested turned into a pass defensed. Aka, Tannehill's fault.

It's the old, "Tannehill is holding Hartline back!" argument wrapped in a nice Stills dress. Same garbage, even with lipstick.

LD

We kind of touched on this before, and I can't fault people who were critical of how disappointing he was with us, but the team was a mess and he got in pretty late to our disaster. I would agree it felt like he had more than 2, more along the lines of 4 or 5, which seem amplified considering his overall lack of production. With that said, and as I said before, I can't help but get excited to see him on this team again. I think he brings a different skill set to the table than Parker and definitely Landry and I expect him to have a solid year this season.

We kind of touched on this before, and I can't fault people who were critical of how disappointing he was with us, but the team was a mess and he got in pretty late to our disaster. I would agree it felt like he had more than 2, more along the lines of 4 or 5, which seem amplified considering his overall lack of production. With that said, and as I said before, I can't help but get excited to see him on this team again. I think he brings a different skill set to the table than Parker and definitely Landry and I expect him to have a solid year this season.

Right -- definitely touched on it before. I agree that the team was a mess, no question. But even in a mess, tough players and undeniable talent will rise to the top. And Stills, though fairly quick out of pads, turned into a shrinking violet in pads. I mean, it wasn't just one game here or there -- he consistently played weak, small (catch radius smaller than Hartline if that is possible) and slow. Lots of times he was being depended on to provide vertical stretch only to not be able to separate much -- or at all. And when he had a chance to make contested catches (necessary bc of poor separation more than bad throws) he showed up weak. It's no wonder the team drafted a slower player that they feel will be physical with the ball in the air -- a player eventually envisioned on taking Stills' place.

I hope that Stills can make the jump but he's only going to do so IF he gets strong enough to play his speed in pads, and tough enough to make contested catches. Which means it's more on him than the team, imo.

I think that if Stills had Jakeem Grant's toughness he'd be a potential all pro.

LD

Stills had more drops in one game than two so that numbers :lol:

sounds like jordan phillips is putting in the work conditioning wise

I know i charted one game last year where stills had at least 3 drops...and i want to say they were 3rd down drops minus one tight red iso

LD

Nobody ever said that. About Wallace maybe, not Hartline.

I knew where this thread was going to go the second I saw something resembling a criticism of Tannehill. :lol: the lack of chemistry between them was a two way street, exasperated by **** coaching that was incapable of addressing it. I have more faith in Gase.

Back
Top Bottom